Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Parent of new NOD

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by Sew&So, May 22, 2018.

1. Sew&So

Sew&So Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Hi there - I am the parent of a new NOD - now in his 3rd week of training -nailbiting-

Excited to be part of his journey. :) Pretty intense few weeks but he seems to be weathering everything thrown his way so far!!

Not 100% how forums work but I guess I will learn!!

Living outside the UK, never heard the word NOD before, but I totally get it now he has the ripe old experience of 3 weeks under his belt!!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

A very warm welcome to the site.

You have access to the parent & partner section so your posts in that section are only visible to those with access to that section. All other parts of the forum are visible to all site visitors, registered or otherwise.

Hopefully you'll be made to feel welcome and meet-up with a few other people who have loved-ones in the same recruit troop.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Sew&So

Sew&So Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Thanks Ninja_Stoker - appreciate your rapid responses. You wouldn't be a marine by any chance?? :D

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

No, just a former RN Stoker (mechanic), now a Careers Adviser. I've helped out on the forum for just over a decade so am getting the hang of things, a bit now. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  5. Cues2

Cues2 Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    Welcome to the site,
    I'm still trying to understand how these forums work too, all I can is that everyone is very friendly and helpful, and it is surprising how quickly you get answers to questions. Our nod is in week 9, so not much further down the road than yours. This RT is an experience for the families as well as the nods, although we are doing it from the comfort of our armchairs, and I do get 8 hours sleep a night!
    My main advice is just keep the positive encouragement going whenever you get chance, it is a roller coaster of experiences and emotions for them. If you are able to make it to the families day, I would really encourage you to go, although I note you are not living in the UK.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sew&So

Sew&So Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Oh thank you cues2. Great advice.
    Doing my best to send the old positive vibes through. Very proud of him as I guess we all are our fine young men.
    So far so good but whatever happens he has our unequivocal support.
    I live in NZ so just that bit too far for the family day I’m afraid. But I’m sending family ambassadors instead!!
    Just having difficulty finding the info as our information letter/pack has not arrived yet but I'm hopeful of hearing something on his troop's forum.

7. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Families' day is usually held on the Friday of Week 5 of Recruit Training. Hopefully another P&P on this thread will be able to post more information about it here so that you can brief your family ambassadors.

By the way, North Island or South Island? :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Cues2

App Stage:
    Parent
    Ah NZ, we thought the trek from E. Yorkshire was far enough! Your family ambassadors will be suitably impressed I'm sure.
    If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.
    He must be keen to be prepared to come half way around the world to join!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

As an aside, I remember a guy travelling half way around the world only to fail the recruit test. Twice.

I felt like crying for him to save any further expenditure.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mudlarker

Mudlarker Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    Hi @Sew&So - great to hear your Nod has started the journey! A word of advice for your Ambassadors for Families Day: He will be shattered and won't be able to stay awake for a right old knees up! When it was our turn, we left CTC at 2.30pm in the car and, apart from getting him in through the holiday cottage door - he slept through until 12pm the next day! :( He also looked like a ghost on hunger strike when we first saw him!:eek:
    There are some great stories on here - one about a Nod falling asleep in a dog basket I remember!:)
    So....warn your friends not to expect too much of him - he will need serious rest!
    Best of luck to you both.
    Best wishes
    Mud
    Ps; my Sis lives north of Auckland!

• Like Like x 3
  11. Sew&So

Sew&So Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Chelonian - I live in the North Island - not the Mainland *text deleted* :)!!

If everything goes well for him, we will do our best to make it for the passing out ceremony. However I don't want to be tempting fate too soon!

Yes we got the date of 8th June. Just the fam is travelling from Ireland! And one from Bristol - so he will be well supported. All very excited to get to see the CRTC, and more importantly, our man! I will be there in spirit - with bells on!!:D

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sew&So

Sew&So Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Cues2 (sorry don't know how to respond directly to you!)
    Sounds like an amazing day to come. Do you have any idea what time it starts by any chance? We still waiting on our letter.
    Yes he is super keen. Only the Royal Marines will do!

13. Sew&So

Sew&So Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Hi Mudlarker
    Wow thanks for the information. Totally makes sense. Will make sure they don't have too much organised. Really good tip - thank you.
    Where does she live? Have you been here? :)

14. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

@Sew&So
    To tag someone simply add an @ without a space and then the user name.
    To quote someone's text (which also alerts them) just select the block of text, click Quote and that text will appear in your reply box.
    To send another user a Personal Message (PM) which is only visible to the recipient, click on Inbox in the bar at the top of the page.

Nice one. I ran up Mount Maunganui in 1992. Once was enough for me!

• Like Like x 2
  15. Cues2

App Stage:
    Parent
    Hi,
    We had to be on the base by 8.15am. The day was done by around 1.30pm, after which the nods were allowed to leave base for a long weekend. As a family we chose to rent a house in Exmouth for the weekend to avoid a lot of travelling, and to allow our nod as much sleep time as possible.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Cues2

App Stage:
    Parent
    Ouch!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Cues2

App Stage:
    Parent
    Yes only the RM will do.....they are the best! That's why the training is so damn tough. The first few weeks in some respects are the worst I think as, there is a massive culture shock as well as the lack of sleep and non stop admin etc. Our nod by week 5 was finding the pace hard and there were a few tears (no idea of quitting though) I remember him saying that he was just so tired through lack of sleep and he was hating having absolutely no time to himself. Since then though, things have got better, they have been allowed more sleep, they have been allowed to keep their mobile phones most of the time, and he has free time at weekends. Also, as they get quicker at things like Admin, it just means, they by default have more downtime. As someone on this forum said, 'as the recruits progress through training life doesn't get easier, but it does get better'.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

If you put the @ symbol in front of their username then you highlight to that person that they have been tagged in a post.

Alan

• Like Like x 1
  19. wes3

wes3 Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    @Mudlarker week 5 - family day. Sees so long ago. One pleasure you forgot to mention was the mud drenched kit that has to be washed and ironed. @guffas and myself became scrubber buddies haha. Oh the smell :confused:

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Mudlarker

Mudlarker Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    Ooh - I've become an 'active member' suddenly in my profile! Not sure why - is it the number of posts?
    So my Nod took 32 weeks to become a Royal Marines Commando, and all I could manage in the same period was to become an 'active member'. Ha ha - Such is life! :D

• Hoofin Hoofin x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Yep, it's linked to forum activity.
    Rest assured that the title is in no way associated with the euphemism frequently used by the tabloid press. :)

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1