Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Parents Intro

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by byprep, May 21, 2020.

1. byprep

byprep New Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Dear All

Thanks for adding us to the forum. Our son starts RT on 1st June and we're naturally a little worried, as he is quite young. However he found the forum very useful, so hopefully we can do the same.

• Like Like x 3
  2. TheRents

TheRents Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    Welcome @byprep

I fully understand your concerns. There will undoubtably be highs and lows, expect a few down beat phone calls! Try not to dwell on them, whist you are sitting at home imagining the worst, one of the lads will have cracked a 'funny' and he will have forgotten all about his troubles and also forgotten to let you know he is feeling better

If he really wants this and gives everything he has to offer, he will make it. Don't let him, or yourselves for that matter, get hung up on being an 'original'. Once at unit no one gives a stuff whether you are an original or not.

Injuries can happen to the best and a spell in Hunter or being back trooped is not the end of the world. For many recruits it gives them a chance to be even better than they would have been. As my son likes to say" It is not how far you fall, but high you bounce that counts" :) and trust me he had to bounce a lot.

Remember to walk through the gates at CTC and enter RT shows that he has determination and drive that most of his peers can only dream of. The career that awaits him is one of the best in the world and I look forward to being able to congratulate you when he earns his Green Lid.

Wishing you all the best

PS
    Any questions fire away, no such thing as a daft question here;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  3. Rob20

Rob20 Royal Marines Commando Moderator

Welcome. Best of luck to your son. You also have a huge part to play here. Dont underestimate the effects your positivity and encouragement will have on your son. Its abit more of a team effort than you might think.

Your son will be looked after by the troop. You bond very quickly and very strongly so even when times are hard, having a laugh with his mates will see him through so dont worry too much.

The pride you'll feel at passout will be second to none and according to my family well worth the worry, so remind your son of that from time to time :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  4. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    My son has just started. First phone call was hard. He was upset and sounded like he was really struggling. After a chat with the guys in his grot and a good nights sleep, he sounded better the next day. This forum was so helpful when he sounded so down. Everyone is so helpful so dive in and chat away.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    My boy is 17.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

@byprep I've added you to the Parent & Partner sub-forum so you should now be able to see it.

• Like Like x 1