Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Pass Out Parade - From A Mother's Perspective.

Discussion in 'Pass Out' started by Messenger, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Messenger

Messenger Member

The day
    Wow what an amazing day pass out was last Friday. I have been so busy (and tired!), I've not been able to update you all til now.

I spoke to my son the night before and he was a bit stressed and grumpy because he couldn't get the perfect shaped beret. He text me later that evening to say all was fine and beret was perfect. Phew!

The troop were up early and had breakfast at 6am. Families arrived between 8-9am and were dressed smartly to meet the training team in the Saville room with some refreshments.

Whilst all that was going on, 132 troop were being filmed coming into the Falklands Hall and lining up behind the curtain. Little did we know when we were ushered into the Falklands Hall, all our loved ones were behind the curtain and weren't allowed to make a sound! They waited patiently in darkness for 30 mins whilst we were given a speech and introduced to the training team, which was very funny. Quite a few bottles of Port were owed to the Commanding Officer of the Commando Training Wing who got quite a few grins from the training team whilst trying to embarrass them!

Then….drum roll…..the curtains were drawn back and to massive applause, cheering and whistles, we saw our loved ones for the first time, looking very smart in their Lovats and cap comforters. Each lad was asked to march forward and a 30 second comment was given about them. They then saluted to the Commanding Officer of the Commando Training Wing, received their green beret and posed for a photo. Berets replaced cap comforters and each lad returned to their position in line. Once all the berets had been awarded it was time for the other awards (Diamonds, Commando Medal etc.). To MASSIVE applause our Royal Marine Commando's officially stood before us  Take some tissues as it's a very, very proud and emotional moment.

The lads left to change into their Blues and the families remained and watched the troop DVD. Once finished, we made our way to the parade ground. If it is raining the parade will be undercover but we had a dry day, albeit extremely fresh, we took our seats outside. Fortunately the kind organisers left blankets on the seats which was well received as it was bitterly windy.

We shivered for around 10 minutes before the amazing Royal Marines Band marched in from the opposite side of the parade ground playing the theme tune from Raiders of the Lost Ark, followed by 34 lads from 132 troop, marching synchronised in step behind. This sight instantly warmed us up! They look absolutely amazing, from their shiny buttons to Persil white gloves. They gave a highly professional marching drill to various pieces of music and a speech was given by some very senior ranks who were guests of honour. All this time, the video was still rolling available for you to purchase for ?25 afterwards.

We ran like children following them from the guard house clapping and cheering from the main CTC road lined with recruits and anyone around at the time back to their grots. It was fantastic, an experience I will never ever forget.

Back to a warm Saville room we were greeted by a bar (payable) and buffet. The official photo's were available to purchase and ?40 well spent for quite a few and a framed troop photo.

You will see a chap from the Royal Marines Charitable Trust going round with a bucket. This chap is a top bloke and the charity a worthy cause so please give generously.

Buffet lunch was enjoyed washed down by a few drinks and then all the lads appeared, looking smart in their Blue with their berets. I couldn't hug my son enough, he was so euphoric to see us all and other members of the family and friends who came from 100's of miles away.

A word of warning - if you go back to my third paragraph, the lads had breakfast at 6am. By this time it was around 1.45pm and the lads hadn't eaten. We made the mistake of buying his troop section and training team 3 bottles of Port which was consumed at pace in double-shot sized glasses! Unfortunately there were some sickly lads later that day including mine!

The troop were taken into the NCO mess for a private presentation of their gifts they all chipped in to buy their training team. My son said he met some really good blokes and had so much respect for his training team. We hung out with them for a bit and could have quite easily stayed and cracked on with them in Exmouth!

It's true what they say about 'the Corps is a family'……they make you feel every part of it and very welcome.

We are so proud it's been like having a newborn in the family! All my friends must be bored of me telling them and showing them photo's! My husband goes to work proudly wearing his Royal Marine socks and cufflinks and I proudly wear my RM Charity wristband.

Sorry this is long, but it's something our family is very proud of.

The Gifts
    Son loved the Commando dagger engraved with his initials and the engraved RM Zippo lighter.

My piece de resistance was a specially made scrap book with 40 pages which goes from week 1 to pass out and it filled with photo's, the training programme by week, text messages, leave passes, cards, etc. I even got his training team to write a message on some card at pass out to stick into it. If I say so myself, it's a lovely piece of history he can show his children and grandchildren and I enjoyed doing it 

24 hours later
    After son slept off hangover, reality kicked in and his room looked like a grenade had gone off in his wardrobe! He bought home; day sack, helmet, Lovats, Blues, boots, Gortex gear, 4 sets of CS95's and loads of gear I don't even know what it's called! That was on top of sending two repack boxes from CTC to his unit! Washing machine was on within 10 mins whilst son enjoyed a fry-up and wet.

The 4 days he was home consisted of two celebration dinners, a trip to a military shop for some Gucci gear he'd had his eye on since xmas and lots of packing.
    He is now settling in at Leconfield.

I hope my account of King's Squad pass out can be read to those parents, siblings, wives and girlfriends who are not sure about the career their loved ones have chosen or are choosing. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea (or wet as we now call them!) but please respect the choice they have made and support them. They need your support through RT.

That is all !

• Like Like x 4
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  2. englishboy66

englishboy66 New Member

dagger

love your account of the pass out day and can't wait till my lad does. I was intrigued about the dagger and was wondering if you could tell me where you got it from?

3. Garethr123

Garethr123 Member

Brilliant. Congratulations to your son Messenger and equally well done to you and your family for the support you gave throughout training. I'm sure at times it was called upon and a much needed boost.

4. Messenger

Messenger Member

5. englishboy66

englishboy66 New Member

thank you

Dera Messenger, thanks for reply and big congrats to you and your lad. I suspect pride is not a big enough word for how you must feel as I am proud of what mine has acheived to date, let alone if he gets to pass out.

God bless

6. chezzy

chezzy New Member

In tears reading this, my husband is half way though training. Miss him like mad and can't wait for that special day! Xx

• Like Like x 1
  7. Polo

Polo Member

Hopefully this gives you a bit of an idea of what the special day is like

• Like Like x 2
  8. Bulwark

Bulwark Member

Seriously can't wait for this day! Great account and thanks for sharing, I don't think you quite understand the boost in motivation it has on lads about to go through RT!

9. chezzy

chezzy New Member

Brilliant clip! X