Passed 3/10/17 prmc

stumpylegs

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Trained by doing @arny01 prmc training plan, just to add to testament that his prmc plan works.
41 lads were supposed to turn up, only 39 did, only 21 lads passed this prmc myself included.

Good luck to any lads doing Prmc in the future, I can't really explain to you what it's like or how hard it'll be.
After your Prmc you'll understand how hard it is to describe to someone who hasn't done it.

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
Good effort!

Make sure your phys is kept up to date, learn how to dhoby clothes and then iron them and lastly learn the basics of map reading. Trust me when I say you'll thank us all by the end of Foundation!

Alan

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
Trained by doing @arny01 prmc training plan, just to add to testament that his prmc plan works.
41 lads were supposed to turn up, only 39 did, only 21 lads passed this prmc myself included.

Good luck to any lads doing Prmc in the future, I can't really explain to you what it's like or how hard it'll be.
After your Prmc you'll understand how hard it is to describe to someone who hasn't done it.
Fantastic news!! Thanks for the feedback, glad to hear the plan is still relevant mate. Good luck going forward!!

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
Any idea on start date mate?

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score

If there's anything you think you'd change in the plan, or anything you'd do more/less off to reflect the current prmc, please feel free to share your opinions? It's been over 2 years since my lad passed his prmc, so keeping ideas up to date and relevant would be great?

stumpylegs

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Any idea on start date mate?
Will find out on Monday, said around 4-8 weeks but might be able to start this month.
If there's anything you think you'd change in the plan, or anything you'd do more/less off to reflect the current prmc, please feel free to share your opinions? It's been over 2 years since my lad passed his prmc, so keeping ideas up to date and relevant would be great?
Worth forking out and getting down to your local park and doing a BMF session once a week as well as the Prmc plan so you're used to doing circuits of exercises then running and repeating over and over etc without rest for the bottom field and endurance course

Last edited:

aiker123

Reaction score
well done on passing! Any chance you would be able to do a small write on how BF/EC went for yourself. Ive PRMC coming up in a couple of weeks

stumpylegs

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
well done on passing! Any chance you would be able to do a small write on how BF/EC went for yourself. Ive PRMC coming up in a couple of weeks
The bottom field and endurance course is slightly different everytime, the corporals told us that, that another prmc they might do duck walks(we didn't do them)etc etc there's not set exercises they'll do everytime,The PTIjust thinkinggs the circuits up on the spot, they just want to thrash you because it's a determination test

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
The bottom field and endurance course is slightly different everytime, the corporals told us that, that another prmc they might do duck walks(we didn't do them)etc etc there's not set exercises they'll do everytime,The PTIjust thinkinggs the circuits up on the spot, they just want to thrash you because it's a determination test
That's why I came to the view that hill sprints are a better shout than just doing say duck walks, or other good ways to hurt yourself!! Whilst hill sprints are a bit more generalised form of leg endurance. I think your leaving yourself wide open to get caught out if you train to do a specific isolation excersise like duck walks or carries?

Hill sprints covers all angles. And whilst the PTIs will always think up different ways to achieve the same result, you never know how it's going to pan out.

wetpaperbag

Reaction score
That's why I came to the view athat hill sprints are a better shout than just doing say duck walks, or other good ways to hurt yourself!! Whilst hill sprints are a bit more generalised form of leg endurance. I think your leaving yourself wide open to get caught out if you train to do a specific isolation excersise like duck walks or carries?

Hill sprints covers all angles. And whilst the PTIs will always think up different ways to achieve the same result, you never know how it's going to pan out.

I'd disagree with that a bit, agreed no need to practice carries and drags and that, I didn't and was alright with them, and agreed hill sprints are a key weekly staple for everyones plan; but I don't agree hill sprint sessions cover the leg endurance totally for the PRMC.

Personally the thing that got to me on bottom field and the endurance course was the bunny hops. A lot of other lads were echoing the same sort of thing after too, and seen the same on these forums here a lot. Everything else on BF and EC was just the fun kind of tough, as long as you had developed your all round fitness reasonably, all was fine, really fun to be honest, cracking on with each short challenge, then onto the next exercise, but bunny hops were the ''*text deleted* i can't move my legs, my legs are clinically dead, help my thighs have stopped functioning, I physically can't keep hopping'' kind of tough.

Put it down to never having done legs to failure in my training plan. I was one of the first few finishers on the BFT and in the front few all through the EC and run back, but in bunny hops my legs didnt have that full depth thigh power. I think that aspect of beyond failure squat type leg endurance is easily missed in PRMC preparation. You could train sets of bunny hops or duck walks but I'd agree theres no real need to go in so speciafically, what I would say is it would be worth training just to achieve the feeling of going to leg failure in leg enduance, in addition to your 'just keep running' type leg enduance from doing long runs and hill sprints.

I would suggest something like once a week, after a run or circuit, doing say 300 full depth squats continuous, no rest, just keep going. The point of the exercise picking a disguting rep target, being to get to that thigh failure feeling and just keep going, working through all the way to that impossible number- far beyond your percieved max. Hill sprints is a total staple, but I dont think it covers that leg failure feeling from a pure endurance squat type exercise that will come up in one form or other on PRMC.

Last edited:

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
Fair points and great to hear, if others following can benefit that's great. If you look at the gym sessions in the Prmc plan it includes a 10 min AMRAP leg endurance session.

Then finish with, 10 min AMRAP of
10 squats
10 lunge
10 box jumps to 24"box.

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score

Did you use arny's first plan or his updated one?

arny01

Ex Pongo.
Reaction score
Did you use arny's first plan or his updated one?
The only difference should be Saturday/Sunday as two consecutive rest days, this was only as a request off my lad, he found it worked better for him, the original or the other version appears to be still relevant.

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ah ok my mistake, I thought they were a little different. Thanks

stumpylegs

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I'd disagree with that a bit, agreed no need to practice carries and drags and that, I didn't and was alright with them, and agreed hill sprints are a key weekly staple for everyones plan; but I don't agree hill sprint sessions cover the leg endurance totally for the PRMC.

Personally the thing that got to me on bottom field and the endurance course was the bunny hops. A lot of other lads were echoing the same sort of thing after too, and seen the same on these forums here a lot. Everything else on BF and EC was just the fun kind of tough, as long as you had developed your all round fitness reasonably, all was fine, really fun to be honest, cracking on with each short challenge, then onto the next exercise, but bunny hops were the ''*text deleted* i can't move my legs, my legs are clinically dead, help my thighs have stopped functioning, I physically can't keep hopping'' kind of tough.

Put it down to never having done legs to failure in my training plan. I was one of the first few finishers on the BFT and in the front few all through the EC and run back, but in bunny hops my legs didnt have that full depth thigh power. I think that aspect of beyond failure squat type leg endurance is easily missed in PRMC preparation. You could train sets of bunny hops or duck walks but I'd agree theres no real need to go in so speciafically, what I would say is it would be worth training just to achieve the feeling of going to leg failure in leg enduance, in addition to your 'just keep running' type leg enduance from doing long runs and hill sprints.

I would suggest something like once a week, after a run or circuit, doing say 300 full depth squats continuous, no rest, just keep going. The point of the exercise picking a disguting rep target, being to get to that thigh failure feeling and just keep going, working through all the way to that impossible number- far beyond your percieved max. Hill sprints is a total staple, but I dont think it covers that leg failure feeling from a pure endurance squat type exercise that will come up in one form or other on PRMC.
This is why I said do one session a week of
BMF because they did the bunny hops a few times in their circuits as well as other leg exercises, I did the bmf each weak with my 20kg weight vest on, know people would advise against it but I knew it helped me along with using the 20kg vest for @arny01 weight vest circuits, and wore it for his 10 minutes of leg AMRAP (which killed my legs everytime)
this was because I could already max out the press ups and sit ups before I started arny's plan and wanted to push myself.

Sorry I forgot to add this earlier

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Passed prmc Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site 15
J Passed PRMC PRMC Diaries archived 28
A Passed PRMC Parents & Partners 4