Passed my PJFT!

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Nice one very well done!

What was your return and did you find it a struggle where you had to dig in massively?

Also did you have to have your blood pressure checked when there?

Any idea when your looking at prmc?

Well done again

Reaction score
Nice one very well done!

What was your return and did you find it a struggle where you had to dig in massively?

Also did you have to have your blood pressure checked when there?

Any idea when your looking at prmc?

Well done again

My return time was 9:29 wanted to be closer to 9 minutes but can complain, had a bad weeks preparation but once I was on I just kept my mind focused on anything but the actual run! It's completely mental, I was hanging out but the less you think about the pain or how much your struggling the quicker it's over! They checked my blood pressure when I got there they did two readings! I'd say stay away from any coffee or energy drinks before hand and just try control your nerves, it's just a precaution for the gym I think. I've been given a date for an RMAD in Liverpool on the 1st of November so hopefully I'll have a prmc date before the end of year, I'm just glad to be finally getting somewhere!

MrJamesUp

Reaction score
My return time was 9:29 wanted to be closer to 9 minutes but can complain, had a bad weeks preparation but once I was on I just kept my mind focused on anything but the actual run! It's completely mental, I was hanging out but the less you think about the pain or how much your struggling the quicker it's over! They checked my blood pressure when I got there they did two readings! I'd say stay away from any coffee or energy drinks before hand and just try control your nerves, it's just a precaution for the gym I think. I've been given a date for an RMAD in Liverpool on the 1st of November so hopefully I'll have a prmc date before the end of year, I'm just glad to be finally getting somewhere!
Great job on your pass. Any recommendations on how to do the 2nd part? Tried sprinting the first .5 miles then 1 mile at 8.5mph but the sprint just tired me out.

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Save sprinting until the end. Get a fast but steady pace going for the first 2km or so then ramp it up for the last 400.

When's your pjft and what's your pb return?

MrJamesUp

Reaction score
Save sprinting until the end. Get a fast but steady pace going for the first 2km or so then ramp it up for the last 400.

When's your pjft and what's your pb return?
easily do the first part just set it to 7.5mph gets you there for 12:25. 2nd part a bit of a struggle. got my PJFT early december so time to train. hitting it in about 10:45 - 11:15. been told to focus on interval running and do a practice pjft once a week. Someone told me abut a guy who sprant the first part at 9.5mph then for the last 2mins he was able to walk it, essentially got a 3min break. I can do 8.5mph comfortably so just got to be able to do 1mph more in the next 6 weeks

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score

That’s still a good time!

That’s good advice to take then I’ll probably get a doctors note the days before and get tested by him to save this risk of nerves making it over.
That’s good stuff then was that RMAD mandatory or did you ask for it yourself as seen a few people on here do them.

That’s good news keep it going.

easily do the first part just set it to 7.5mph gets you there for 12:25. 2nd part a bit of a struggle. got my PJFT early december so time to train. hitting it in about 10:45 - 11:15. been told to focus on interval running and do a practice pjft once a week. Someone told me abut a guy who sprant the first part at 9.5mph then for the last 2mins he was able to walk it, essentially got a 3min break. I can do 8.5mph comfortably so just got to be able to do 1mph more in the next 6 weeks

Don’t think the RM pti’s would be very happy knowing people were getting away with walking it must have been a so laidback tester.

Did you fail your 1st PJFT as December seems a hell of a long way for that?

MrJamesUp

Reaction score

That’s good advice to take then I’ll probably get a doctors note the days before and get tested by him to save this risk of nerves making it over.
That’s good stuff then was that RMAD mandatory or did you ask for it yourself as seen a few people on here do them.

Don’t think the RM pti’s would be very happy knowing people were getting away with walking it must have been a so laidback tester.

Yea failed the first test. PTI had a word, ran me through a couple things to see why i failed. He doesnt recommend sprinting the start of the second part so i wont do that, had 2 proper days rest as i only had one day's rest, stretch properly and get more hydrated, drank 3 glasses of water prior to the test but he said it wasn't enough. Chin up and carry on, happy to learn more things. *text deleted* do a 8.5mh 1.5miles run at the gym today, then 7.5 / 10.5mph intervals through the rest of the week and the next. Then do practice PJFT's once a week. Doing it at a constant 9.5mph (15kph) seems to be the easiest way to do it under 10mins

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Yea failed the first test. PTI had a word, ran me through a couple things to see why i failed. He doesnt recommend sprinting the start of the second part so i wont do that, had 2 proper days rest as i only had one day's rest, stretch properly and get more hydrated, drank 3 glasses of water prior to the test but he said it wasn't enough. Chin up and carry on, happy to learn more things. *text deleted* do a 8.5mh 1.5miles run at the gym today, then 7.5 / 10.5mph intervals through the rest of the week and the next. Then do practice PJFT's once a week. Doing it at a constant 9.5mph (15kph) seems to be the easiest way to do it under 10mins

Oh I see that makes sense then!

Yea I wouldn’t advise sprinting at the start either as you can only keep that up for a very short time.
That’s the way just keep at it I’m sure you’ll get there do you have the pit watching you the whole time like right next to you talking?
Try doing 9.1 mph for the return then up it slightly the last minute that gets you in under 10 minutes would save you some energy than rather at 9.5.

Once I get cleared Tuesday I *text deleted* ring up to book mine so it’s hsndy to see how others have done or what happens on the day.

borneboy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Whats RMAD?

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Whats RMAD?

It’s a one day course like day 2 of the PRMC where you do the bft , and gym tests basically a lot of afco send people on them before PRMC just to see if there fit enough to pass it.

borneboy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
It’s a one day course like day 2 of the PRMC where you do the bft , and gym tests basically a lot of afco send people on them before PRMC just to see if there fit enough to pass it.
never heard of it I assume i would get a prmc date after pjft not RMAD

BMD

Reaction score
I was struggling on the return run leading up to the PJFT and did it at 14.5 kmh all the way up until the last 15 seconds when I up'd it to a sprint and got 9:58. Not the best time but why not start at 14.5 kmh then see how your timing adds up halfway through the run and up it from there if you need to or if you're feeling strong. Just my thoughts...

MrJamesUp

Reaction score
Oh I see that makes sense then!

Yea I wouldn’t advise sprinting at the start either as you can only keep that up for a very short time.
That’s the way just keep at it I’m sure you’ll get there do you have the pit watching you the whole time like right next to you talking?
Try doing 9.1 mph for the return then up it slightly the last minute that gets you in under 10 minutes would save you some energy than rather at 9.5.

Once I get cleared Tuesday I *text deleted* ring up to book mine so it’s hsndy to see how others have done or what happens on the day.
Yea always good to see what others are like. ill try 9.1 thats a good idea. Only .6 up my comfortable pace so ill give that a go. Thanks for the help buddy and good luck on the rest of your application stage

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
never heard of it I assume i would get a prmc date after pjft not RMAD

Think it’s up to your AFCO if he puts you one or not I got asked to go on one back in September think they do it just so it doesn’t fall back on them for sending you to PRMC if you do terrible in the gym scores as realistically there only going buy your word of mouth as to what your stats are as in the RMAD they get to see your scores first hand.

Bit of a nightmare if you don’t want to I know but some people want it for the experience and to test themselves that’s all u might not get put on one if I get asked after I pass the PJFT I’ll kindly ask if I can just do a PRMC to save any more time setbacks

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Yea always good to see what others are like. ill try 9.1 thats a good idea. Only .6 up my comfortable pace so ill give that a go. Thanks for the help buddy and good luck on the rest of your application stage

No worries mate as said no point wasting energy same with the 1st run try 7.3mph it’s all about getting under 10.00.

Ty you to!

Reaction score
Sorry for the very late replies, not sure why I haven’t had any notifications!

Great job on your pass. Any recommendations on how to do the 2nd part? Tried sprinting the first .5 miles then 1 mile at 8.5mph but the sprint just tired me out.

I suppose it depends on the person, personally I just put it over 15kmh and just stook it on that. I’d find it harder changing the speeds up, plus you could mis judge the speeds and end up falling short!

Thanks! The RMAD was sort of forced on me when I restarted my application, I don’t think you had to, but my AFCO seen it as the best way. I think it will benefit me as going down for my prmc is completely out of my comfort zone. So just the one day instead of 4 will bed me in nicely and hopefully give me a confidence boost that all the training I’ve done has paid off! For some people they are confident enough to go straight to PRMC but that’s just not me haha.

Whats RMAD?

I’d suggest doing an RMAD if you live a long way from Lympstone, personally it hasn’t really added much time to my application as I’ve booked in my prmc on the 5th of December before ive even done the RMAD, my AFCO then said if I do struggle we can re arrange PRMC which I think is the best way!