Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Passed out!

Discussion in 'RMR Section and RMR Selection' started by thegingerone, Oct 12, 2019.

1. thegingerone

thegingerone Royal Marines Commando

Delighted to say that I've finally got my lid! Any questions fire away!

:)

• Winner Winner x 12
    • Like Like x 9
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Hearty congratulations, very well done.

How long did it take you to complete Recruit Training & on average, what level of commitment did it take (how many weekends, drills, etc.,).

What is your civilian status (student, full time job) and how did you find the balance with home, occupation & training?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rover

Rover Moderator

May the Force be with you..jpg

May the Force be with you.:cool:

• Like Like x 6
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  4. thegingerone

Training was a total of 14 months. Weekends averaged around 1 every 3 weeks, with occasional back-t0-back weekends. Then obviously the 2 week Alpha Course, and 2 week RFCC. Then I'd be at the det every Wednesday for phys and lectures (you can miss the odd Wednesday but your seeing yourself off missing out on key training or technique lessons). A lot of the commitment is your own time - getting yourself fit. During the first phase, I'd practice navving on my Saturday mornings. The weekends alone are often not enough if you want to pass everything first time.

For me my circumstances were quite fortunate. I work a full-time 9-5 job, with flexible working so I never had problems fitting things around. I was also lucky enough, that my work gave me an extra 10 days annual leave to cover the Phase 1 Alpha Course. Unfortunately, my manager left, and I had to use 10 days of my holiday to cover the RFCC. I did also give up sport for a year (for fear of getting injured), which was pretty tough so I'm looking forward to getting back into that. Also, if I went on holiday I'd try to go on the Thursday and come back Wednesday morning before the next drill night - so there definitely were sacrifices. Its only just over a year of your life though, so If all goes to plan its well worth it!

• Like Like x 4
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  5. Devon_Bey90

Devon_Bey90 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview

Sounds like you had the balance spot on! How many of your original PRMC group passed out with you? Also, how did you find the best way to routine your phys in around work and life commitments?

And finally, without asking what you had for tea, did your other half/significant other back you the whole way? Asking for a friend ;)

Well done on getting it done mate!!

6. thegingerone

We started with 40 and only 6 of us passed out - speaks for itself as to just how tough it is!

I'd do 6-7 workouts a week - a mixture of running, circuits and compound lifting, which I'd do after work (occasionally during my lunch break if I was busy in the evening). Its a lot I know, but you just have to remember what your trying to achieve.

I'm in a long distance relationship, so fortunately I've got more time to myself than most coupled up! She's fully supportive although she doesn't really know exactly what its all about. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  7. Devon_Bey90

Devon_Bey90 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview

Fair effort man, would you run in the morning and lift weights/circuits in the evening? That is something I am trying to form a habit of.

I am engaged to be married next year and my Mrs has taken some persuasion into me joining... but we are finally on the same page.

8. thegingerone

Depends, I didn't have a set routine in terms of what/when I'd do - I'd just do whatever I felt like and whatever I'd have time to do it. I actually think this helps to take the pressure off when your balancing a full-time job.

In terms of partners, my advice is to take it one step at a time. People have these big conversations and fall-outs with their partners, then end up wrapping after week 1. Training is over a year, a lot can change in that time, so take it as it comes! Hope that helps

• Like Like x 2
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Yep, I think about four out of 40 in the local unit have left for one reason or another by the end of the second training weekend.

10. lebeouf

lebeouf Royal Marines Commando

Good effort mate, you must have had some hoofing oppos along the way!

• Like Like x 1
    • Seen Seen x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  11. flash95

flash95 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Congratulations a tremendous achievement!

I’m really wanting to apply for the reserves just got over a knee injury and just started running again which I’m doing twice a week as I don’t want to rush into it and hurt it again. What’s a good fitness plan for the week that I should consider doing ?