Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Passing the PJFT

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Goodtimes98, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Goodtimes98

Goodtimes98 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Hi guys,

I must be coming up to about 5 months of training, specifically running. I have had issues with my running from day one. I used to smoke and drink quite a lot and working night shifts I was never too health conscious. I still am coming short of my second run! I always seem to have bad pains in my knees and when I run through it I can barely walk after. My running has come a massive way from when I first started, I could barely run 1.5 miles without seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, now I’m considerably better, but still really need to improve as I really don’t want to fail my PJFT again. Can anyone offer any advice on how to improve my cardio?

2. sharpe

sharpe Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    Due to the lateness of the hour professionals may be in short supply you're stuck with me:) my honest opinion is change what you’re doing if it’s not working. I would start with smaller distances and really push to get faster at them so loads of 400m intervals. Get those bad boys done then move up, bottom line is learn to love/enjoy your runs. Put a longer recovery run too and just learn to enjoy it, you’ll find your own way

3. sharpe

sharpe Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Parent
    • Like Like x 1
  4. future-commando

future-commando Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Hi mate. I've been training properly for about 1 month now after taking a few months out. Up until today, I couldn't even contemplate starting the second run. 3 milers I could complete in 24 minutes no problem, but the minute rest catches me out and I feel disorientated and knackered. A couple of weeks ago I was burnt out after running 1.5 miles in 12 minutes, and when I started the second run, I barely made 0.30km. I actually considered joining another service until the experts advised me to go for what I really want. Today I said to myself, I need this, I want this, being a RM is everything to me. That in itself motivated me. I focused on my breathing, counted some strides, and kept thinking that failure is not an option. I did my first run in 12.18 and took the minutes rest, sips of water and wiped the sweat off my face. I set the treadmill up and ran. I had to slow it down half way through and then sprinted the end. I did the return in 11.24. My leg was hurting, my lungs were burning and my sweat was dripping like a waterfall, but I did it anyway. I have pains in the side of my knee/leg everytime I run a certain distance / speed, and sometimes its agony, but I kept going anyway. Make sure you stretch, foam roll or even get a sports therapy massage. That way you will prevent injury. I could have done even better today but that's progress for me. I'm now at a stage I'm happy to apply.

Just remember it's a mental game. No matter how hard it is, believe in yourself and think about what the RM means to you. Only your mindset can hold you back. If you can't complete it at a certain speed then drop the speed and complete it. People on here can give you Better advice then me, but that's what worked for me is having a strong mind.

Remember : Failure is not an option

(this was given to me by a member of the group. I DON'T OWN THE PLAN) Try this plan:

12 x 400m 60 secs rest interval training

6 x 800m 90 secs rest interval training

5 miler @ 8 min miles

Don't forget swimming helps!

• Nailed It Nailed It x 1
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  5. Canty95

Canty95 Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    For the pjft I did this twice a week amongst my other runs (6/8milers, hill sprints and 4milers). So I did the first 1.5 mile in the time and then I split the second run into 3 intervals of 0.5 mike and did them at the required speed with a minute between each one. When that felt easy after a couple weeks or so I’d then split it into 2, you get my gist. Also try intervals on the treadmill for A speed allot faster than the return speed, so instead of like 9mph, do it on 10mph and then 9mph won’t axtually feel that fast. Hope this helps

6. Trooper149

Trooper149 Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    A few things you could do:

-stretch your muscles. A great book I read was by Pavel Tsatsouline Beyond Stretching. Its a bit old school but the guy is former spetznaz. When putting together his book, he worked with some renowned soviet exercise scientists who produced alot of revolutionary studies on strength training and muscle conditioning. That one book completely changed the way I viewed stretching. A point being, that stretching actually contributes to strength in that a muscle which is supple, will be better able to contract quicker and harder, thus improving stride strength when running.

-foam roller. Try foam rolling the front of your thighs either using a simple soft foam roller or a rock hard rumble roller (depending on preferance). I used to get a slight cracking on my knees, I assumed I had tight quadriceps and double jointed hip flexors so I rolled them out like a mad man using a mixture of both + stretching. No more cracking.

-intervals. I just take the 1.5 mile distance and make varying interval sessions which accumulate to this distance covered. e.g 1 day I do 30 seconds fast 10 seconds slow, the next day I do 90 seconds fast, 20 seconds slow. Just change it up each day and couple that with some longer distance runs. Noticed a massive improvement over just one week.

-get posture checked by a physio/PT. If your joints are a bit off, it can change your whole running posture making it much more difficult.

Hopefully its of some help