Past depression

JS21K

Reaction score
So always been interested in the RM but never saw it as a viable option as I was a fat *text deleted*. Recently lost the weight and started dabbling with the idea again. However I’m worried about my past depression and just want some advice although I know the result is most likely one I don’t want.

So a year or 2 ago I had a very *text deleted* couple of weeks and I was always one of those keep to myself lads so my mum who is paranoid as *text deleted* took me straight to the GP and me being the *text deleted* I am refused to speak much other than what they wanted to hear, so they decided I was depressed and put me on anti depressants. I took them to keep my mum quiet which Is stupid I know and this is definitely karma biting me in the arse. Took them for about 7-8 months then stopped and honestly never felt better since I’ve been off them. I’ve been clear of them for about 7 months now and wanted to know how this would affect my application. I know you’re meant to be off them for a certain time which sucks but is fine but I’m worried I’m *text deleted* end up barred for life or something and I just wanted to see if anyone who has knowledge in this area could give some help or advice.

Sorry if this is a dumb question or whatever just figured here would be the best place to ask it. Thanks

CallMeLucifer

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
So always been interested in the RM but never saw it as a viable option as I was a fat *text deleted*. Recently lost the weight and started dabbling with the idea again. However I’m worried about my past depression and just want some advice although I know the result is most likely one I don’t want.

So a year or 2 ago I had a very *text deleted* couple of weeks and I was always one of those keep to myself lads so my mum who is paranoid as *text deleted* took me straight to the GP and me being the *text deleted* I am refused to speak much other than what they wanted to hear, so they decided I was depressed and put me on anti depressants. I took them to keep my mum quiet which Is stupid I know and this is definitely karma biting me in the arse. Took them for about 7-8 months then stopped and honestly never felt better since I’ve been off them. I’ve been clear of them for about 7 months now and wanted to know how this would affect my application. I know you’re meant to be off them for a certain time which sucks but is fine but I’m worried I’m *text deleted* end up barred for life or something and I just wanted to see if anyone who has knowledge in this area could give some help or advice.

Sorry if this is a dumb question or whatever just figured here would be the best place to ask it. Thanks

I was given pills, (the type that put you to sleep even after having half a tablet) due to a long period of depression. Long story short, I passed the triage.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score

how many prescription periods have you had these is it just the once?

Nature's Wish

Reaction score
They've loosened up on past depression last I heard, provided it was a minimum of two or three years ago. It helps if it was one instance of depression, the depression came from without (such as a family member dying as opposed to personal anxiety) and that you didn't take antidepressants. I can't give you a clear answer so I recommend contacting your nearby recruitment office and telling them what happened there and then. If they're not sure then ask for a medical officers number and get their opinion.

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
You were in medication over 6 months this may well be viewed as a chronic condition 1 episode or not, you will certainly get caught up in medical, entry may be possible, but may take some time also as only of "long term" meds for a few months and if considered chronic 4 year clear rule may apply..but until your med notes have been looked at in full by the relevant people it is not feasible to give a 100% answer in this case..And you will not be given the number for the medical officer. He can't have several hundred applicants calling him with random questions!!

Nature's Wish

Reaction score
You were in medication over 6 months this may well be viewed as a chronic condition 1 episode or not, you will certainly get caught up in medical, entry may be possible, but may take some time also as only of "long term" meds for a few months and if considered chronic 4 year clear rule may apply..but until your med notes have been looked at in full by the relevant people it is not feasible to give a 100% answer in this case..And you will not be given the number for the medical officer. He can't have several hundred applicants calling him with random questions!!
Must have been chance then since I had contact with the chief medical officer.

Periphery

Reaction score

The rules are somewhat vague, what exactly/how long is an Episode of depression/anxiety?

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
An episode is of any time length where medical intervention was used /sought - and on your records.

Periphery

Reaction score
An episode is of any time length where medical intervention was used /sought - and on your records.

So if you had depression and you were on medication for 2 years? that would count as one episode?

Now say you had depression and you were on meds for around a year, but then decided to come off them and were off them for 6 months but then got back on them to treat that same depression, would that count as an episode or 2 episodes?

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
Bit if a Pointless circle here. !! But in both instances they would be chronic conditions as both prolonged conditions and chronic condition is they key for this one, as opposed to a single shirt term episode with a identifiable life stressor.also you took yourself of meds

Periphery

Reaction score
Bit if a Pointless circle here. !! But in both instances they would be chronic conditions as both prolonged conditions and chronic condition is they key for this one, as opposed to a single shirt term episode with a identifiable life stressor.also you took yourself of meds

So as long as it was a short term episode with an identifiable life stressor you should be fine, even if you have 2 or more episodes?

The guide

Careers Advisor
Reaction score
2 or more episodes you will also have trouble, a single episode you would likely be made TMU and paperwork/ condition checked.

Periphery

Reaction score
2 or more episodes you will also have trouble, a single episode you would likely be made TMU and paperwork/ condition checked.

Yeah but you'd have to be diagnosed with depression/anxiety in that case, claiming to feel depressed or anxious =/= diagnosis. Although if you took meds it's a 2-year wait regardless of diagnosis or not.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah but you'd have to be diagnosed with depression/anxiety in that case, claiming to feel depressed or anxious =/= diagnosis. Although if you took meds it's a 2-year wait regardless of diagnosis or not.

Are you serving or have served?

As you seem to have an answer for everything on here as in won’t be told or you question every bit of advice your given even when it’s from people who know what there talking about.

JS21K

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, really appreciate it! Also yeah wasnt expecting to get the number for the medical officer haha so just figured id ask here incase anyone had a similar situation but i get what you mean about it being a case by case thing.

JS21K

Reaction score
They've loosened up on past depression last I heard, provided it was a minimum of two or three years ago. It helps if it was one instance of depression, the depression came from without (such as a family member dying as opposed to personal anxiety) and that you didn't take antidepressants. I can't give you a clear answer so I recommend contacting your nearby recruitment office and telling them what happened there and then. If they're not sure then ask for a medical officers number and get their opinion.
Was more of just a small period of being down but mum pressured me into the antidepressants which has made me annoyed but at the end of the day i still took so its on me. Im happy to wait the years or whatever although it sucks but its more than understandable. Maybe ill give them a call just to see anyway. Thank you, appreciate it!

Nature's Wish

Reaction score
Was more of just a small period of being down but mum pressured me into the antidepressants which has made me annoyed but at the end of the day i still took so its on me. Im happy to wait the years or whatever although it sucks but its more than understandable. Maybe ill give them a call just to see anyway. Thank you, appreciate it!
No problem. Persevere and best of luck!