Patella tendonitis

Discussion in 'Common Training Injuries' started by Hubb97, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Hubb97

Hubb97 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Just wondering if anyone has ever had any experience with this and how long did it typically take you to recover fully? I've been seeing a private physio once a week, it's an annoying problem in that it's usually ok when I'm actually running once I'm warmed up but presents itself afterwards when bending the leg. Very frustrating as I've passed my medical and had to defer my PJFT until recovered, hoping to start with something like 3x3 mile next week just to build back up without aggravating it any further. Thanks.

2. aliB

aliB Active Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Tendonitis is annoying i had it in my ankle. Its a lot nicer than ITB Sundrome it took 3 months of repair recovery for my tendinitis in my achilles

• Like Like x 2
  3. A350-800

A350-800 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I have had experience with itb but not patella tendonitis. I did however read some articles on it as many of the exercises and stretches could be jointly beneficial for both conditions. I would avoid any exercise that involves your patellafemoral joint being placed under strain for the next few weeks at least, lunges and squats, as well as box jumps, should be avoided. Anti inflammotories, ice and massaging tight structures such as the quads and calves could be beneficial. Probably not a permanent solution but tape may help offload the tendon allowing some exercise while you are healing up; Lots of people seem to benefit from a foam roller, Check your footwear is suitable for your feet and the level of running you are doing, perhaps go for a gait analysis. What sort of strengthening exercises have you been given, there are some exercises that involve squats on one of those slanted balance board :) best of luck with your recovery :)

4. A350-800

A350-800 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    You could also try Graston treatment, which is a instrument assisted soft tissue massage which does help with tendon injuries. Unfortunately finding somebody who practices it is difficult, fortunately I managed to find someone who was training and very kindly did it free of charge, perhaps this is somethinf you could look into :)

5. Hyperhippo

Hyperhippo Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Yep I've had patellar tendinitis, initially from the point I went to the doctors he said 4 weeks no running, only low impact cardio like swimming and cycling.

After 4 weeks I started to build up running again, very lightly but found I had to warm up for a good 10 minutes before hand to experience a run with no problems, lots of dynamic stretching and slowly building up the pace on the run.

Having been to the docs and from what I've researched on the internet and what I've done since then strengthen the muscles in your legs especially the quads! Invest in some resistance bands (I'll link you the ones I use) and YouTube search VMO exercises

Dont expect to recover from this over a matter of days, be small and consistent in your recovery phys and you'll be on the mend! Hope this helps

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  6. Hyperhippo

Hyperhippo Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
  7. jonood

jonood Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    i Had it in training and had to leave, i took 3 weeks off. Then started to do hip exercises to strengthen the hip and core up.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hubb97

Hubb97 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Thanks, yeah I'm going to a private physio at the moment and they do some kind of massage and ultrasound therapy (I think?) I'm also doing a fair bit of leg strengthening stuff like lunges and leg extensions which I've neglected in the past. Thanks for the comment!

Cheers, I was doing 1 run a week in December hoping it would improve until a few weeks ago when I decided to see a physio. Hoping to start running next week and even then will just be starting with 3 mile 3 times a week on a really flat surface. To be honest the problem is pretty much fine once i'm warmed up but can get quite bad later on once I've exercised.

Ah, must have been gutting getting discharged. Guessing you're trying to rejoin? Congrats on the PRMC pass!

9. jonood

jonood Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    It was devastating but keep your head focused and you'll pass anything! Just passed PRMC and going back into training on the 6th ! Good luck with your application!

10. Hubb97

Hubb97 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Cheers, just annoying as within touching distance of a PJFT/PRMC but not able to train-banghead-

11. Nathan100101

Nathan100101 Member

Try seriously stretching your legs, helped me massively to recover.

12. Hubb97

Hubb97 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Just a quick update, haven't attempted running for 2 weeks, told to do loads of leg strengthening like leg presses and squats, tried a treadmill run today, was ok during if not a bit sore and now afterwards it's no different to how it was 2 months ago, very frustrating!

• Seen Seen x 1
  13. Hyperhippo

Hyperhippo Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Don't beat yourself up mate, keep being consistent in strengthening your legs and results will follow. This is a setback it's now up to you to show a bit of grit and determination and get through it, think of the end goal - being a Royal Marines Commando

• Like Like x 2
  14. Hubb97

Hubb97 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Just *text deleted* update this one last time to say I've finally passed my first attempt at PJFT yesterday and have been put on a PRMC at the end of November. Patience finally paid off!
    Thanks a lot everyone.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  15. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando

Good effort! Do not underestimate the PRMC. It will destroy your legs, so use the next month or so to really build your legs up.

You will need to test the legs to make sure that they are up to speed on the day, so make sure that you replicate the two days as much as possible. Far better to see that you are near the standard, rather than leaving it to the last minute.

Good luck

Alan

16. Hubb97

Hubb97 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Cheers, really appreciate it. I've done half marathons and such in the past so I'm hoping the endurance from that will help a lot, just need to get on the hill sprints with plenty of squats now!
    Thanks a lot:)

• Like Like x 1