Pay as you Dine

RossRobObey

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I've heard little about this recently, a good friend in the Army has told me it is being brought into the forces, nationwide but I'm yet to hear anything else?

Perhaps one for Ninja.

JG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah its being brought in.

RossRobObey

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Any idea's when and how much it will effect pay? I'm sure there must be rates floating around the world wide web, somewhere?

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
The recruits said it was at Lympstone late last year, although may have been phased back out since, not sure.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
I'm fairly sure that at Lympstone (and Raleigh), last time I checked, there's a flat rate food charge deducted from your wages automatically for those under training to ensure there are no restrictions on food intake, rates Below. (Happy to stand corrected if this has changed yet again). After training it is indeed "pay as you dine" throughout and apparently up to the individual if they want to be the proud anorexic owner of a Lamborghini.

DEDUCTIONS

Food Charge £3.89(Daily) £116.70 (30 day month)

Accommodation Charge £0.57 (Daily) £17.10 (30 day month)

Council Tax £0.08 (Daily) £2.40 (30 day month)

The average monthly pay for a single New Entrant after stoppages (Tax, National Insurance, food, accommodation and Council Tax) is approximately £770.00. It is stressed that this is an approximate figure and will vary between individuals.

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
I'm fairly sure that at Lympstone (and Raleigh), last time I checked, there's a flat rate food charge deducted from your wages automatically for those under training to ensure there are no restrictions on food intake, rates Below. (Happy to stand corrected if this has changed yet again). After training it is indeed "pay as you dine" throughout and apparently up to the individual if they want to be the proud anorexic owner of a Lamborghini.

DEDUCTIONS

Food Charge £3.89(Daily) £116.70 (30 day month)

Accommodation Charge £0.57 (Daily) £17.10 (30 day month)

Council Tax £0.08 (Daily) £2.40 (30 day month)

The average monthly pay for a single New Entrant after stoppages (Tax, National Insurance, food, accommodation and Council Tax) is approximately £770.00. It is stressed that this is an approximate figure and will vary between individuals.
Where do pension contributions come in?

I still cant believe how little the armed forces get paid.....

jay2401

Reaction score
Where do pension contributions come in?

I still cant believe how little the armed forces get paid.....
I know bit of a piss take that a traffic warden get paid more than some one that goes to the frontline, but still i feel the need to go do it and know i will love it. :love:

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
It's a non-contributory pension- roughly 11% of your income goes towards it before your gross income is declared. The pay rises to £16,227 after 26 weeks, so although not fantastic, it's better than EMA that other trainees earn in college. Pay increases to £27,559 without promotion incrementally. The trick is to join young before you accrue debts!

No-one is saying the wages are brilliant, given what you have to do, but you are never going to be a millionaire if you are paid by the taxpayer. (Unless you enter politics of course).

R. M. Pitt

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Wonder if I could take a tent and stay outside to save some money *text deleted*

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
wow accomadation is really cheap :cool:
Understandably you only incur food & accommodation charges when you are living in barracks. All accommodation is being upgraded to single, en-suite facilities (after training), or so the story goes...

Likewise on ship or deployed, it's free, obviously for good reason.