Pay

Freddy

Reaction score
hi just wondering if anyone could say how much realistically you would be earning after passing out rt and would this be enough to live on as a family with 2 childeren as in not just scrape by on, are there much opportunities for promotion or pay rise and how common is this ?

Thanks

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Annual income is about £18k (gross) upon pass out, rising to about £26k, without promotion over about 5 years.

Whether you can get by depends on circumstances & expectations, whether your partner works, whether you rent or buy, whether you have a car, where you live, what you eat, etc.

How much are you managing to live on now?

Promotion, for those adequately.motivated and capable, occurs about every 4-5 years on average.

m2013

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Im level 3/8 and take home 1100 after my sfa comes out.

I have 2 kids and i scrape by most months its hard.
No family nearby means mu wife cant work as childcare outweighs her potential earnings

Joshusky

Reaction score
Could I just hijack this post and ask how much of your monthly pay would be spent on average if say I didn't have any kids and I just ate the food that was supplied to me within the RM? Would it just be toiletries, snacks and cleaning products that I would need to spend money on? When I apply I won't really have any priorities back home as I don't have a wife or kids so I am thinking of trying to be smart with my money and save as much as I possibly can

Illustrious

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
Mate you could save an absolute bomb if you live frugally. I know lived like a pauper for theth months and brought a bike £3500 bike outright.

Don't fall into the Friday night run ashore routine and you'll be amazed what you can save as a singly.

Joshusky

Reaction score
That is exactly what I was planning on doing, living frugally would be no bother to me as I can cope with the bare minimum. Actually really looking forward to applying.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Alternatively, you could have a laugh, live a little, enjoy the moment and be permanently skint.

We come into this world with nothing and many aim to leave it with negative equity and a hole in the ozone thingy as their legacy.

But, enough about me :)

Joshusky

Reaction score
That last bit got me :')

Thinking of just raking in the money, putting it in a locked account with high interest and then just partying when I'm 70 years old and no longer need all the money I worked so hard for :D