Payday Tax!

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I was just sitting on the toilet, bombs away and I thought to myself.. Tax payers pay military wages through their tax.. Military wages are also taxed while serving in the UK.. So basically the government are taxing tax?

How does that work? Or am I looking too far into it?

roguesniper

Reaction score
hmm strange thing to think about on the toilet mr ash!

probs just another scheme to get themselfs more money :fight:

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Well apart from that I was thinking: When a guy and a girl kiss, the guys top lip usually goes ontop of the girls top lip.. But what if they're both guys or both girls? Who gets the top lip then?

Maybe I really do look too far into things?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
All servicepeople are taxed at the standard UK rate, unless you are serving overseas for over 6 consecutive months & then you are free to do battle with HMRC to see if you can squeeze a bit of a refund- the Merchant Navy can and do.

I tried it (my Dad used to be an HM Inspector of Taxes & suggested it was worth a shot) but was shot-down because they claimed a British warship was considered UK territory & liable for UK tax. Being "on the ground" for over 6 consecutive months overseas may warrant a rebate, but the period has to be unbroken & the government lift hell & high water to make sure you cannot accrue 183 consecutive days.

Another tip, if you have legally earned a wage & paid tax in the financial year before you start recruit training, ensure you provide evidence of the tax paid to date before you join so that you are not placed on emergency tax code (25% of everything taxed). To be fair, you do get it back once your tax code is re-assessed, but they don't give you interest on it- unlike they charge you if you have underpaid.

Another unconfirmed fable: You can (if you can be bothered) claim back tax relief on haircuts, laundry & boot-polish if you really want to engage in close-quarters combat with HMRC. My advice is don't bother as it's more trouble than it's worth filling out tax return forms each year & you can be penalised for not returning them on time.

...and don't forget to put the lid down when you've finished.

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Wow, that last paragraph is serious isn't it? Haircuts, laundry & Boot-polish?

Thanks Ninja =D

roguesniper

Reaction score
Well apart from that I was thinking: When a guy and a girl kiss, the guys top lip usually goes ontop of the girls top lip.. But what if they're both guys or both girls? Who gets the top lip then?

if its both girls get the camera ready :bud:

tax is annoying, they try to squeeze every penny out of you!

ringo

Reaction score
i see where *text deleted* *text deleted* at ash.... i work for my local leisure centre and it is government run. so the money i get is form tax payers...so tht is infact tax money and then i get taxed. so yes they tax there tax *text deleted*..

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted* Ringo, I have no idea where these thoughts of mine come from. I must subconciously be thinking of ways to confuse myself.

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score

I would think the more dominant one of two two would get the top lip, but i cannot confirm this...i think we should study this phenomenon that ashely has brought to attention by getting a large assortment of lesbians together to watch them kiss. All in favour?

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
one of my friends is a lezbian, she said they swap from top to bottom lip, or generally at the start they sub consiously decide who likes what best.

she found it a bit weird me asking though *text deleted*

roguesniper

Reaction score
I would think the more dominant one of two two would get the top lip, but i cannot confirm this...i think we should study this phenomenon that ashely has brought to attention by getting a large assortment of lesbians together to watch them kiss. All in favour?

i second the notion! what a jolly good idea for a study, ill charge the video camera at once!