PC gone mad

Discussion in 'Jollies Bar' started by The Creature of the Night, Dec 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Morality is subjective.

Hmm... I once saw a woman attempting to hammer a stiletto heel through a man's skull near Torquay harbour.

2. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Blammo???

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  3. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

No mate. I once tried to entice her away from Port Talbot for a weekend. She broke out in hives at the Newport Tunnels. :)

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  4. AKayyMH

AKayyMH New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    What if it was an under-18 male medic? Hypothetically speaking of course.

5. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Legally, under-eighteens, male or female, cannot be operationally deployed. Although 'mistakes' have historically been made.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  6. AKayyMH

AKayyMH New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    If you made the rules, under-eighteens that can pass the standards should be allowed into combat right?

I wonder if someone will say that after WW3 regarding women.

7. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Without delving too deeply into a murky past another young woman of my acquaintance from back in the day—I’ll call her Olive, because that was her name—was the daughter of an apparently well known Manchester family crime dynasty. She was generally polite and friendly (towards me, anyway) but when provoked could indulge in shocking levels of violence against both men and women. This usually happened when she was intoxicated but it defeats the notion held by some that all women are fluffy snowflakes who somehow require cosseting and cherishing.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

No idea mate. Let's wait for that to happen, shall we?

9. Corona

Corona Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I don't really want to hijack a thread, but is the nailed it emoji dabbing?

10. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Was this her by any chance? :D
    Olive.jpg

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  11. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Apologies for somehow overlooking the first half of your post. The simple answer to your question is 'no'.

I would never permit my horse to drink more than four pints of beer daily but other than that I don't make rules.

12. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

The Olive I knew was actually quite a looker. But I always had On the Buses in the back of my mind whenever we met. :)

13. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

As aluded to by @Chelonian under 18’s are not allowed to serve on the front line. So your question is irrelevant really.

14. AKayyMH

AKayyMH New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    And neither were women until recently...

The same arguments for women being allowed can be used for under 18s... Why stop a fully trained 17 year old from going to war? People who are in favour of women in warfare should also be in favour of under 18s in war and tell the government to change the law... It's merely age discrimination. If the criteria is ability and talent then there's probably more under 18 males that can make it through infantry training than all adult females combined! History has already proven this fact. Please note, I'm not advocating it, I'm using it for the sake of argument.

15. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Nice try!!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

The reason that the rule has been enforced in recent years in this country was due to two Scottish brothers, aged 17, murdered by the IRA in NI in 1971.

It is also a UN mandate, made in 2000, that no one under the age of 18 can fight in a combat zone, so it's not just our government that has to change, which it won't.

As an aside, my Son in Law had his 18th birthday on the Canberra, on its way to the Falklands war in 1982. He was out of training around a month when deployed.

Alan

• Like Like x 3
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  17. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Because he or she would be defined as being a 'child soldier' and not being capable of making an informed decision as framed by international law.

Anyone deployed operationally might be required to exercise judgment that holds the lives of others in the balance. I respectfully suggest that you have a think about it.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  18. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

One of the guys killed on my ship during the Falklands conflict died on his 18th birthday. Thirty six years later his mother went to her grave swearing he should never have been there. The ashes were scattered at sea off Fanning Head, East Falkland, the same place he was committed to the deep.

Where you draw the line is open to conjecture but the failure rate in RT for under 18s is approximately double that in the 19-23 age group. The bottom line is the UK is one of increasingly few countries that permits those under 18 to join their Armed Forces.

According to the Guardian, 72% of those polled reckon the minimum age should be over 18. My guess is 28% of those voting were under 18.

• Like Like x 4
  19. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    As much as I like a good debate. We are well and truely flogging a dead horse.

I can’t even be bothered arguing anymore.

• Nailed It Nailed It x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  20. Wessex

Wessex Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    You know that’s really patronising and pays in to the image of women being weak wallflowers, unable to fend for themselves, who faint if somebody says ‘boo’ to them and who has to be saved by the badass man. No nations don’t go to war to defend women and children, they go to war to defend everybody (or to defend oil if you’re feeling political). In the word of Harry Bosch, ‘everybody counts or nobody counts’.

You’ve been watching too many 1930s films if you’re buying in to the whole ‘women and children’ thing. Children yes, women no. I’m assuming you’re male and you seem to be saying that your life is worth less than a womans. Why is that - why do you have such low self esteem? I’m sure you don’t really, but stop and think about what you’re saying.

There was another comment about men and women serving alongside and men having an urge to protect their female comrades. If that is true then that’s a man problem, not a women problem and women should not have to pay for your problem. If you can’t behave as you have been trained to in the heat of battle then YOU are the liability, not the woman and you just shouldn’t be there.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.