Peak flow issue

DeathBySexy

Reaction score
Looking to shed some light on a slightly bizarre issue I'm having.

I had my medical on the 14th of May and was TMU'd due to, what I can only describe as aesthetic issues with a mildly crooked little finger which works like all the other fingers and an "asymmetrical" chest that my GP said was perfectly normal and asked if I had my medical done by a real doctor.

On my TMU letter is stated that my Peak Flow measurement had been omitted on the examination day, with an apology (how kind). So at my GP appointment today I had a go at blowing into the peak flow tube thing. It came out at 400! Now, from what I gather it's meant to be closer to 600. I've never had lung problems or asthma and only yesterday completed a six mile run in under 40 minutes without any kind of breathing trouble.

Has anyone else had an issue like this? I'm wondering if it may be my technique in blowing down the tube, I have read on the all knowing wikipedia "Measurement of PEFR requires training to correctly use a meter" or nerves about my TMU (throat closing up slightly due to anxiety).
I'm collecting a peak flow instrument from the pharmacy later today. I trust this is just another situation like the dreadmill and getting used to using the device will give me the desired results.

In the mean time, any exercises anyone know of to improve peak flow, just incase?

Williamosaurus

Reaction score
Unfortunately you cant actually increase your lung capacity through exercise. You can only increase the efficiency with which your body can process the air in your lungs.

Kangarooj

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
You may need to do a Lung Function (Spirometry) test which is a more in depth version of the peak flow test which will help identify your issue. It involves different types of breathing and it records it very similar to a peak flow test.

DeathBySexy

Reaction score
My GP recommend I take a Spirometry test, which I will, though I am going to check peak flow myself for a little while first and see if it changes at all, or whether I can increase it.
I shall opt for blowing up balloons constantly and hyperventilating like a pearl diver. Training specific... I shall attempt to blow over old ladies with a single breath.

its_meg

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Looking to shed some light on a slightly bizarre issue I'm having.

I had my medical on the 14th of May and was TMU'd due to, what I can only describe as aesthetic issues with a mildly crooked little finger which works like all the other fingers and an "asymmetrical" chest that my GP said was perfectly normal and asked if I had my medical done by a real doctor.

On my TMU letter is stated that my Peak Flow measurement had been omitted on the examination day, with an apology (how kind). So at my GP appointment today I had a go at blowing into the peak flow tube thing. It came out at 400! Now, from what I gather it's meant to be closer to 600. I've never had lung problems or asthma and only yesterday completed a six mile run in under 40 minutes without any kind of breathing trouble.

Has anyone else had an issue like this? I'm wondering if it may be my technique in blowing down the tube, I have read on the all knowing wikipedia "Measurement of PEFR requires training to correctly use a meter" or nerves about my TMU (throat closing up slightly due to anxiety).
I'm collecting a peak flow instrument from the pharmacy later today. I trust this is just another situation like the dreadmill and getting used to using the device will give me the desired results.

In the mean time, any exercises anyone know of to improve peak flow, just incase?
I failed my peak flow (amongst many other things!) twice before I passed. I actually got given a peak flow thing to take home because she said I was fine just my technique was sh!t. Low and behold the first time I tried it when I got home I passed with ease! -banghead- Would recommend trying to get your hands on one because it could just be the way you are doing it

Kangarooj

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
See my peak flow was poor and I ended up diagnosed with asthma, so it could go either way I suppose. Best of luck mate.