Pegasus Company

Wings

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I have had a few messages about 1 Para application and P company.
Heres a video that shows the terrain at catterick where PRAC takes place and how the events look.

Also 1 Para.
Soon as you pass out when you reach battalion, there is roughly 2 selection courses a year. Sometimes you can get on it straight away as a new bloke, or wait longer. It depends if the senior blokes want to go or not. In my experience I have seen most who decide to go. Go on the course and go across on the next available course.

Chelonian

Reaction score
@Wings Perhaps I missed it or it wasn't featured in the clip but is the Trainasium 'illusion leap' still a thing? Crossing from one plank platform to another (5:18) but the plank one lands on is set about one foot lower.

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
The above video doesn’t do the height any justice but it really is a leap of faith.

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
They still feature as far as I know and still cause quivering knees. It looks further than it is. Takes bottle. As do the infamous ‘shuffle bars’ where you have to touch your toes halfway over! But @Wings is the man in the know!

C5054E5E-C2B5-4839-A784-E4B403CCBA0F.jpeg
Illusion jump.

Wings

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
@Wings Perhaps I missed it or it wasn't featured in the clip but is the Trainasium 'illusion leap' still a thing? Crossing from one plank platform to another (5:18) but the plank one lands on is set about one foot lower.
It is indeed I didnt watch the video entirely but gives some insight I suppose.

Wings

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I personally didnt see any illusion but on week 2 you do a run around the tranasium a couple struggle on the jump. The superman jump is funny as many dont grab on correctly and end up dangling.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
This is an airsoft media version for a TV show but it features Guy Martin who is a good egg. Civvy version of illusion jump at 2:00. The swearing is authentic though. :)

I was actually thoroughly impressed with that programme. He’s a good egg and it showed the paras in good light.

Much like their recruitment programme.

Let’s not talk about that dogs abortion “commando school”.... less said, the better.

DutyWretch

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I was actually thoroughly impressed with that programme. He’s a good egg and it showed the paras in good light.

Much like their recruitment programme.

Let’s not talk about that dogs abortion “commando school”.... less said, the better.

Gen dit mate.

I cannot watch even an episode of ‘commando school’ it’s so chad from start to finish.

Not to mention a couple of training team members, were actually duty gash blokes who were junior marines when I was in.

Couldn’t believe they’d passed their juniors. Let alone been filmed.

The shame..

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Gen dit mate.

I cannot watch even an episode of ‘commando school’ it’s so chad from start to finish.

Not to mention a couple of training team members, were actually duty gash blokes who were junior marines when I was in.

Couldn’t believe they’d passed their juniors. Let alone been filmed.

The shame..

Seen!

DutyWretch

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I like to think that if Guy Martin was invited around for a fish supper and beers and someone mentioned a problem with their car he'd dismantle the gearbox on a kitchen table and fix it. :) A bit like @Ninja_Stoker really.

He’s the modern day Fred Dibner.

Just hope he has a long career and doesn’t and up checking out, chasing that senior TT win.

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
Of course the majority of this forum’s membership are individuals interested in pursuing a career with the Royal Marines. However, over the years a handful of people interested in the Parachute Regiment have joined in order to seek information and guidance. Undoubtedly this is because of this site’s welcoming and helpful reputation. If nothing else- Knowledge is power.

For anyone interested, below are the P Coy events along with a short description. It is important to note that the build-up phase prior to P Coy is a vital element and constructively fatigues candidates ahead of Test Week. Much like the Commando tests it is important to consider that the events are completed off the back of incredibly taxing military training.
Pegasus Company staff want to see the mental and physical robustness expected of an Airborne Soldier to successfully pass P Coy. Like Royal Marines recruits, airborne candidates are expected to push themselves to their maximum capability.

Test Week events are as follows:
• 10 mile Loaded March — carrying a 35lbs bergen plus water and rifle over undulating terrain in 1 hour and 50 minutes
• Trainasium — A unique assault course set 55 feet above the ground designed to test a candidates ability to overcome fear and follow simple orders at height.
• Log Race — A team event in which 8 men carry a 65 kg log over 1.9 miles of undulating terrain, no changes permitted
• Steeple Chase – A 2.2 mile cross country run followed by an obstacle course (individual best effort)
• Two Mile Loaded March — An individual best effort in helmet carrying 35 lbs and weapon. Candidates have 18 minutes to complete the event
• 20 mile Endurance March — carrying 35lbs bergen (plus water) and a rifle Completed in four hours 10 minutes
• Stretcher Race — Five mile team race carrying a 79kg stretcher over undulating terrain. Each candidate wears helmet, webbing and a slung rifle. Changes are permitted
• Milling — Each candidate is paired with an opponent of similar weight and size to demonstrate controlled aggression in a milling contest.

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Out of interest to the serving RM on here, if you could do it again with hindsight would you still have joined RM or gone for Paras? Or likewise Paras on here the opposite way?

I caught up this week with a bloke I used to speak to years ago who joined RM about 10 years ago but is now a Para. He changed capbadge through SFSG. Despite several RM mates telling me to avoid it and do something else I've never spoken to any as passionate about it as him - he was absolutely adamant to "call up and remove your RM app right now and go for Para". Cited SFSG as the main reason, followed by having no ping, then started talking about having more freedom to kit fiddle and look "more ally" haha.

For now that's advice I'm not quite following as RM is still the goal but seen as I'm currently waiting on a Med Appeal for RM and already have an army medical pass, it may end up being the case anyway. But waiting for a result with RM before being forced to make any rash decisions like that.

Ginger_BreadMan

Reaction score
Out of interest to the serving RM on here, if you could do it again with hindsight would you still have joined RM or gone for Paras? Or likewise Paras on here the opposite way?

I caught up this week with a bloke I used to speak to years ago who joined RM about 10 years ago but is now a Para. He changed capbadge through SFSG. Despite several RM mates telling me to avoid it and do something else I've never spoken to any as passionate about it as him - he was absolutely adamant to "call up and remove your RM app right now and go for Para". Cited SFSG as the main reason, followed by having no ping, then started talking about having more freedom to kit fiddle and look "more ally" haha.

For now that's advice I'm not quite following as RM is still the goal but seen as I'm currently waiting on a Med Appeal for RM and already have an army medical pass, it may end up being the case anyway. But waiting for a result with RM before being forced to make any rash decisions like that.
For me the fear would be to do all that RM training only to end up a driver.