Pegasus Company

Periphery

Reaction score
Also 1 Para.
Soon as you pass out when you reach battalion, there is roughly 2 selection courses a year. Sometimes you can get on it straight away as a new bloke, or wait longer. It depends if the senior blokes want to go or not. In my experience I have seen most who decide to go. Go on the course and go across on the next available course.

From what I've researched everyone in the paras gets a stint with SFSG after a couple of years in 2/3, this is because they want every para to have gained that experience working with UKSF, andit sets them apart from other regiments, however to join 1 Para permanently you have to do a course am I right?

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
From what I've researched everyone in the paras gets a stint with SFSG after a couple of years in 2/3, this is because they want every para to have gained that experience working with UKSF, andit sets them apart from other regiments, however to join 1 Para permanently you have to do a course am I right?
Really? I'll be interested to see what the serving Paras on the forum have to say about that. Where was your research, Wikipedia?

Alan

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score

Hi,

There is no rotation anymore. When SFSG was initially formed a rotation process did exist, as I know a few who did this. However that isn’t the case now.
SFSG now runs an annual 6 week cadre. This includes the two and ten miler from P Coy, lots of range work, infantry skill assessments, SOP briefs and a few exercises that focus on CQB.
After ITC you will be posted to either 2 or 3 PARA. It is common that prior to applying for the cadre you have a few annual reports under your belt. There are rare exceptions made that allow for a newly qualified paratrooper to apply straight from basic training. For instance, if you have a particular skill set that they are interested in, for example a relevant foreign language. This is something you can discuss with your RCMO and Coy OC when you arrive at Battalion.

For more information have a look at this thread and note posts from @Advocado

Ginger_BreadMan

Reaction score
why was 1 para selected to rerole as the SFSG over the other two para battalions out of interest?

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
why was 1 para selected to rerole as the SFSG over the other two para battalions out of interest?

I am not sure. An educated guess ; I suspect it was to formalise the informal arrangements which had existed before. 1 Para had been providing support informally for years. @Chelonian may know and comment if he spots this.
Having a dedicated support group is clearly more operationally efficient than using units on a task by task basis. It would negate problems around training, equipment compatability, familiarity, trust etc.

Also the cynic in me says that I’m sure moving an infantry battalion out of the Inf ORBAT may of helped with some budget wizardry.

Chelonian

Reaction score

My guess is that one airborne capable battalion was required and that 1 PARA was re-roled accordingly. Factors might have included the taskings planned for the battalions between 2004 and 2006.

Someone more current than I might have a more definitive answer. Alternatively, editions of Pegasus journal of the era are likely to contain more information.

As referenced by @Johnny_Anonie it was a sound economic move. I can't imagine three regular parachute battalions existing in 2020.

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
Just a gentle update that www.Paras.uk now has an Official 4 PARA account. This account will be managed by members of the 4 PARA recruitment cell who are well placed to answer any questions you may have regarding service with 4 PARA.

Of course those interested in applying to join the Parachute Regiment are welcome to remain here however www.Paras.uk is a dedicated Para Reg forum designed to aid recruitment.