People that join the Royal Marines

hazza190

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys,
To start with, great website its helped me so much these last few weeks now I think I know everything about the marines.

But anyway to the point, I was just wondering are they people that wanted to join the marines since they were a kid and its a ambition, or is it the fact that some guys join as a last resort if you know what I mean.
From the website I can tell that you are all a bunch of great blokes but I was just wondering.

Cheers

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I would of thought if people were joining as a last resort they would join the army. No disrespect to the army, but if you were doing it as a last resort, surely youd go for the easy option?
I personally have only decided this is defo what I wanted to do a year ago.

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I haven't been wanting it since I was a child or anything. It is only within the last year that decided I wanted a life in the military, although I had always vaguely considered it. That does not mean I want it any less then anyone else, it is a fierce ambition of mine. It's certainly not a 'last resort', I consider it a good career.

smallzy

Reaction score
it was also in the back of my head that i might be in the military. i went along to my AFCO about a year ago looking to join the army but to be honest, I wasn't impressed. after a while I decided to join the marines, stayed in college for a year, and now hopefully next weeks time i'll hand in my app form.

ChrisL

Reaction score
it was also in the back of my head that i might be in the military. i went along to my AFCO about a year ago looking to join the army but to be honest, I wasn't impressed. after a while I decided to join the marines, stayed in college for a year, and now hopefully next weeks time i'll hand in my app form.

you cant really say that u wernt impressed! i mean cmon...im all for RM but there are a lot of quality regiments in the army..think bout 4 1 the royal engineers! these guys go to front line underfire and just build stuff needed for ground troups thats pretty impressive when *text deleted* being shot at..And not forgettin the PARAs these guys r the crem dala crem, the iceing on top of the cake of the british army! Not to slate ya or owt but all regiments are impressive in there own right

Chris92

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
hey bud
i've wanted to join the Royal Marines since i was 9/10 years old. so it has been an ambition for the best part of 5 years. i really really got into the marines a couple of years ago when they came to my school and did a presentation on what they do and how they work.
and another thing is i've never wanted to do anything else apart from the military and it has always been on my mind.
as you can probably tell i'm pretty mad on the RM!!

TheBaker

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
you cant really say that u wernt impressed! i mean cmon...im all for RM but there are a lot of quality regiments in the army..think bout 4 1 the royal engineers! these guys go to front line underfire and just build stuff needed for ground troups thats pretty impressive when *text deleted* being shot at..And not forgettin the PARAs these guys r the crem dala crem, the iceing on top of the cake of the british army! Not to slate ya or owt but all regiments are impressive in there own right
True but only the Paras have such a tough training/selection process?

I've not wanted to join since I was a kid or anything(makes me feel odd amongst those that do), it was more a flash decision for me, I saw the adverts etc, watched the videos, read up etc and put the pieces to the puzzle together and it seems like a great career, I've got nothing else going for me and there's so many reasons i'm joining.

I did use to have a big fantasy about the Navy when I was younger though but it died right before I was old enough for the Sea Cadets, so im proud to be joining a part of the Navy!:bigsmile:

smallzy

Reaction score
yeah i probably used the wrong wording there.

i wouldn't say i wasn't impressed, moreso that i knew that the marines were the best, so everything else in the military kind of pales in comparison.

S

Sotiris

Haha mate,

If you're joining as a "last resort" you wont get in. Either the AFCO, or any intructor will sniff it out or you'll not make the grade and drop yourself. It wont happen.

Only those who are totally determined and physically robust will make it through.

blocky

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i have wanted to be a marine since i was 7 years old and i saw them on the news from a falkland reunion, ever since i have loved them. i am now 16 and i want to join when im 19

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
i was wondering since 1st Bat rifles has joined 3cdo and eventually they'll be cdos as well and they'll be getting amphibious training....aren't they just going to be turning into marines... but in the army...or have i grossly misunderstood?
*text deleted* if not they'll be on par with marines/paras

Ipodbob

Reaction score
i was always jealous of my friends who were in the marines cadets at the school i went to, because i was never physically able to at a younger age. Too skinny, weak, lack of confidence ect ect. I was in the RAF cadets and could only look on and wonder what i was missing, while we sat there looking at dumb planes on paper rather than running around ambushing people. :bully:

But now my life is turned around im in my best shape and strength i ever have been, as soon as i knew i could do it physically and mentally i went and signed the papers but only knew it was for me 100% since i was 20, im 22 now.

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
i was wondering since 1st Bat rifles has joined 3cdo and eventually they'll be cdos as well and they'll be getting amphibious training....aren't they just going to be turning into marines... but in the army...or have i grossly misunderstood?
*text deleted* if not they'll be on par with marines/paras
I don't get that either,
because if, like you said, they give them amphibious training and most/all of them do the AACC,
why not just turn them into a new Commando?
As they will be qualified enough,
and it will save problems that could arise if they are part of 3Commando but are part of the Army.

Joe

hazza190

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ok cheers lads for your comments, its helped me understand the background of joining if you know what I mean.... To be honest I have really worded it quite wrongly but I'm sure theres no one who just decides to join because theres nothing else left to do. But have I got it right with the ambition bit?
Wow I really need to think about what I type.

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Considered military since i was a kid, had my dad influence me to go to uni and try get some bollocks trade.. ended up going mad because civvie life is BOORRING.

Decided to seriously think about it and marines perked my interests!

And, all of our forces are highly trained, a bit of banter is all fine but don't go past the point you look like a *text deleted**text deleted** ;)

Sam1

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
If we are all being honest..... the marines is clearly the best job in the world!!

no other job will give you confidence and physical advantages like the marines, kill baddies, benefits, mates, and women :P

i was laffing at my mates that want to be factory workers and one of my mates wants to be a door-to-door salesman *text deleted*

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
why not just turn them into a new Commando?
As they will be qualified enough,
and it will save problems that could arise if they are part of 3Commando but are part of the Army.

Joe
maybe they are, from what i've heard/read the RMC are pretty good at getting around Whitehall limitations maybe it's all part of a cunning plan...siphon off some army funds and increase 3cdo's numbers to boot... so the rifles are under 3cdo command it's just that they're still part of the army... :dontaskme:

Lain

Reaction score
If we are all being honest..... the marines is clearly the best job in the world!!

no other job will give you confidence and physical advantages like the marines, kill baddies, benefits, mates, and women :P

i was laffing at my mates that want to be factory workers and one of my mates wants to be a door-to-door salesman *text deleted*
Took the words right out of my mouth, the idea of a civilian job makes me feel like taking a long walk off a short cliff.

I've wanted to join the military in one way or another for as long as i can remember, originally i wanted to join the RAF as a pilot, my interests gradually changed and i decided the marines was the place for me and i haven't had any doubts since. I love the idea of that lifestyle.

As for not being impressed by the army.. ok maybe the infantry and such aren't quite in the same league as the RM but nonetheless we have one of the most highly trained, professional military forces in the world, that goes for Army, Navy and Airforce.

I imagine a lot of people develop the interest in the marines later in life but i can't imagine many joining as a last resort as such.. certainly not successfully, theres plenty of forces in the world who'll take anyone they can get, a LOT of countries still use conscription and enforced military service in place of jail time, but the way i see it the British military isn't in the business of putting anyone whose less than committed, competant and able into service.
I know reintroducing conscription in this country was discussed though i doubt it will ever happen, i think the sister of that kid who was stabbed to death a few weeks ago was campaigning for it as a punishment, don't get me wrong i sympathise with her losing her brother but i don't think people fully think through what they're saying, its hardly fair on the real soldiers, who wants to be serving beside some serial killer who doesn't even want to be there, and will probably desert at the first sign of danger, thats if they don't stab you in the back first. :unsure:

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
its hardly fair on the real soldiers, who wants to be serving beside some serial killer who doesn't even want to be there, and will probably desert at the first sign of danger, thats if they don't stab you in the back first. :unsure:
plus training a guy who's just stabbed someone how to kill and giving them a rifle is a bit daft. they do something similar for non violent crimes in the US but look at the quality of their basic infantry in comparison...

JG

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I dont think they will get amphibious training as they are not sea based. they will only do the commando tests.