PERSEC social media note

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Just a quick one for anyone joining up. I understand Twitter, Facebook and Instagram and what ever other mental social apps are very be all and end all with young people today. Fitness Instagram pages are obviously a big thing and I’ve come across several young people hash tagging “Royal Marines commando” along with “future/aspiring Royal Marine” or something along those lines in their profile bios. Even a couple with whole pages dedicated to documenting their fitness journey to becoming a commando. Even caught one lad wearing a RM commando t-shirt before he had even been to an AFCO. My advice is don’t do it. For a start you hashtag it and it every RM with social media will see it and probably laugh. Secondly training teams have been known in the past to do some social media reconnaissance. Need I say how that ends for those individuals? Thirdly personal security for potential recruits may seem like an odd concept but it’s there for a reason.

Be the grey man, you don’t need to put it on your profile to show you’re motivated.

johnnyaged5

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I'll jump on the back of your comment here Scotty.

Training teams will 100% do their due diligence on recruits. It happened when i started RT (early 2011) - needless to say a secret facebook group for the troop was found and what ensued was a goosing of a life time as the training team infiltrated this group and read some 'chad' comments posted by the lads.

Bored bootnecks should be feared!

Chelonian

Reaction score
Training teams will 100% do their due diligence on recruits.

Definitely. In the past year the forum has had two members of Training Teams attempting to infiltrate sub-forums by misrepresenting themselves as parents of Recruits, presumably seeking examples of PERSEC breaches with which to amuse themselves.

They were unceremoniously evicted when discovered. If they had declared their status honestly they would have been very welcome on the forum.

Amusingly, the device which one NCO used to register here auto-filled his actual name as a forum user name which resulted in flapping and urgent PMs from him requesting that his name be changed.

It raised a chuckle amongst the forum users here who are Trained Ranks at CTCRM and actually know the bloke. :)

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Just a quick one for anyone joining up. I understand Twitter, Facebook and Instagram and what ever other mental social apps are very be all and end all with young people today. Fitness Instagram pages are obviously a big thing and I’ve come across several young people hash tagging “Royal Marines commando” along with “future/aspiring Royal Marine” or something along those lines in their profile bios. Even a couple with whole pages dedicated to documenting their fitness journey to becoming a commando. Even caught one lad wearing a RM commando t-shirt before he had even been to an AFCO. My advice is don’t do it. For a start you hashtag it and it every RM with social media will see it and probably laugh. Secondly training teams have been known in the past to do some social media reconnaissance. Need I say how that ends for those individuals? Thirdly personal security for potential recruits may seem like an odd concept but it’s there for a reason.

Be the grey man, you don’t need to put it on your profile to show you’re motivated.

The big risk is that there are still active groups that would be happy to go after recruits or anyone associated with the Forces; Not to mention lone wolf threats.

And of course the training teams finding it, or lads at your unit, or there are certain groups in social media usually run by forces or ex forces people who deliberately go out and find these embarrassing profiles and posts and videos purely for the hilarity and cringe factor.

Jaykay2343

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
It's these idiots that do a prmc then decide to go on YouTube and tell them how to successfully pass one like they are a subject matter expect. Many of these do not end up passing out. It's not worth the 2minutes of fame to end up with egg on your faces.

You may look a a ninja hero to aspiring potential recruits. But to everybody else you look like a tw@t.

Please stop it.

TheRents

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Amusingly, the device which one NCO used to register here auto-filled his actual name as a forum user name which resulted in flapping and urgent PMs from him requesting that his name be changed.

And some of us were quick enough to screen shot it! :)

Remember lads whether you delete stuff or not, once posted always out there !

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Ach just the usual, gym phots with biceps out and Chad captions and ever Chadder hashtags like #jointheelite

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
All you have to do is listen to nods in Exeter to see how thick some of them are. They reckon they're the first nods to hit Exeter at the weekend and all the local girls will fall at their feet and the blokes will be terrified of them because they've got to week 3 of Royal Marines training. The reality is nobody cares what we do so drop the ego about it. Especially as a nod. Its cringey as hell.

I've been in Chevs or Exonian a number of times with my Missus on a Saturday and some of its laughable. I remember one time in particular lads at about 1500 singing and chanting their troop number, all with skinheads and bivvy poles hanging out their daysacks. Meanwhile, Joan and Reg are trying to enjoy their Wetherspoons meal and drink included.

It was borderline embarrassing. But funny old thing, most of those big timers dont make it. Humility....

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
All you have to do is listen to nods in Exeter to see how thick some of them are. They reckon they're the first nods to hit Exeter at the weekend and all the local girls will fall at their feet and the blokes will be terrified of them because they've got to week 3 of Royal Marines training. The reality is nobody cares what we do so drop the ego about it. Especially as a nod. Its cringey as hell.

I've been in Chevs or Exonian a number of times with my Missus on a Saturday and some of its laughable. I remember one time in particular lads at about 1500 singing and chanting their troop number, all with skinheads and bivvy poles hanging out their daysacks. Meanwhile, Joan and Reg are trying to enjoy their Wetherspoons meal and drink included.

It was borderline embarrassing. But funny old thing, most of those big timers dont make it. Humility....
So cringey!

There used to be 4/5 of us who would always start a night out with the lads and have a few pints, then at a certain time, we would all slink away to a predeisgnated area to just go off on our own and pretend to be students or builders. And stay away from the rowdy crowd.

I always preferred Exeter for a night out, and I remember sitting in a bar with another lad I was on course with, both trained ranks, and just watching the world go by and seeing the nods come out with some cringey stuff.

Duality

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
The thing I've noticed is if things are posted by relatives, partners or whoever you're in a relationship with, if cringeworthy, getting picked up, shared around troops then shared with their mates at unit. Must lead to a fair bit of embarrassment.