Personal weapon management

Matthew " Osiris" Cook

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Sorry for all the questions.

I am very interested to know as much as I can about life as a Royal Marine.

My question is, as a Royal Marine can you buy modifications and accessories for your weapons and armor

I mean better optics or maybe a bipod, would we have that freedom or is it just standard issue through out?

Osiris

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Its standard issue mate. You first learn to use the SA80 as it is with Iron sights. The with the standard SUSAT optical sight (Sight Unit Small Arms Trilux). Its becomming slightly outdated now and is possibly going to be replaced by the ACOG sight used by US forces.

The LSW version of the SA80 has a bipod and real grip for support.
A few years back they introduced the Underslung Grenade Launcher which is being used in the current ops quite a bit.

Theres not much really a chance,or need to buy any gucci kit for your weapon. At least not for conventional forces. Im sure some of the guys in recci units,SF will have some sparkly stuff,but thats about it mate

MAXPAIN

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Well back in the early days in the N.I conflict when we were using the SLR our forces were not issuing optics so some soldiers just went and bought their own sights until the forces picked up on it and decided it would be good to issue them to every one, so I guess now adays you can get away with attaching your own accesorise.

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Well back in the early days in the N.I conflict when we were using the SLR our forces were not issuing optics so some soldiers just went and bought their own sights until the forces picked up on it and decided it would be good to issue them to every one, so I guess now adays you can get away with attaching your own accesorise.

And didn't everyone used to put a matchstick in the SLR,
to get it to fire short bursts instead of semi-auto?

Commando Kennedy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
we don't use LSWs now either as they are Sh*t..i believe the Mini-Me (LMG) replaced thm..the LMGs are said to be a marines best friend because they are like a mini GPMG..but still use 5.56 rounds and can even have a sa80 mag attached if you run out of link! Hoofin!

C

critchmufc

can you choose wether to use the sa80 or the minime when your on operation,

*text deleted* i would love to use the minime just to pump some pure rounds into taleban positions

AdmiralAwesome

Reaction score
If every soldier had a choice between a Minimi and an SA80, we wouldn't have the SA80!

I believe there's a special course to operate a Minimi. In a fireteam of four, one will have a Minimi, one will have an SA80 and UGL, and the other two will either both have SA80's, or one with an SA80 and the other with an LSW. That's in theory, of course.

Troops in Northern Ireland and places like that still have the LSW rather than the Minimi. As the LSW is such an accurate rifle, there was some talk of it being used as a Designated Marksman rifle, a low powered sniper rifle to reach out beyond the 300M effective range of the SA80. Don't know if this happened, or is going to happen though...

Matthew " Osiris" Cook

Reaction score
If every soldier had a choice between a Minimi and an SA80, we wouldn't have the SA80!

I believe there's a special course to operate a Minimi. In a fireteam of four, one will have a Minimi, one will have an SA80 and UGL, and the other two will either both have SA80's, or one with an SA80 and the other with an LSW. That's in theory, of course.

Troops in Northern Ireland and places like that still have the LSW rather than the Minimi. As the LSW is such an accurate rifle, there was some talk of it being used as a Designated Marksman rifle, a low powered sniper rifle to reach out beyond the 300M effective range of the SA80. Don't know if this happened, or is going to happen though...

That brings up another question, in a fire team is there a designated Javelin /Mortar unit or is that unit part of a specialized team or is it who ever needs it uses it and everyone is trained to operate these weapons?

M1664

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
That brings up another question, in a fire team is there a designated Javelin /Mortar unit or is that unit part of a specialized team or is it who ever needs it uses it and everyone is trained to operate these weapons?

the heavy weapons troop will be the ones with the javlins, but apparently everyone has a crack on them in ghanners if needs be.

F.M.J

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
all you need to worry about with the rifle is keeping it clean and keeping the dust out! forget mods! i used to use the L98 and SA80 rifle all the time down RAF Boulmer and is a fu'cking bitch for jamming! so you *text deleted* strip it n clean it everytime you use it, the L98 is pretty much identical to the SA80a2 just dont forget your dust cap! leave that open and you will get beasted!

GaryA

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
when you pass out do you get issued a rifle and thats your for then on until you leave the marines or its upgraded. Or lets say you wake up and have some gun practice you get a gun out of the armory then take it back after? and get a different gun each time? or is it just on operation were u will have the same gun all the time?

F.M.J

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
when you pass out do you get issued a rifle and thats your for then on until you leave the marines or its upgraded. Or lets say you wake up and have some gun practice you get a gun out of the armory then take it back after? and get a different gun each time? or is it just on operation were u will have the same gun all the time?

think on operation you will have sole responsibility of one rifle, while in england on your unit im sure all RIFLES will be stored away as it belongs to the armory and needs to be locked away- we dont want any gomer pyles now do we? and for everyone reading this thread the SA80a2 is NOT a gun!!! it is a RIFLE!!!!

AdmiralAwesome

Reaction score
I got that in cadets too, FMJ.

"It's a rifle or a weapon, the artillery have guns."

F.M.J

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I got that in cadets too, FMJ.

"It's a rifle or a weapon, the artillery have guns."

*text deleted* yeah i got it everytime sum1 said gun (*text deleted* i was a sergeant) so i always got the *text deleted**text deleted*, a rifle is a weapon designed to be fired from the shoulder i.e. the L98, SA80, SA80a2

C

critchmufc

so technically a long shotgun is actually a rifle

so they are infact shotrifles

Death-Oar-Glory

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
so technically a long shotgun is actually a rifle

so they are infact shotrifles

No, the description of a rifle above is fairly innacurate.

It's quite vague as to whether a weapon is a rifle or a gun. Handheld weapons are either guns or rifles.

A rifle has RIFLING in the barrel, which means there are twists, like threads, in the barrel, causing the bullet to spin in flight and keep it on a straight as possible path, also negating any possible flaws in the round.

A gun is supposedly smooth bore, however, a MACHINE GUN may well have rifling, ie the LSW is a gun, but with a rifled barrel.

And the minimi is phasing out the LSW, and the talk of making the LSW as a designated marksman rifle I'm fairly sure is ongoing.

And L98A1's aren't all bad...
if you completely disregard cadet training team and cock right handed fire left handed... lots of round down, very fast, completely innacurately...

SamForrest

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Just a guess,but i assume that shotguns are called that because they dont have 'rifled' barrels,not traditionally anyway!

Death-Oar-Glory

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Aaahh was too late. You beat me too it!

'It pays to be a winner!'

I think that's a phrase we're all going to get to know quite well by the end of RT!

And indeed, your guess is accurate. Rifling is part of the reason a bullet can travel so far in such a 'straight' line, the incredible speed of spin completely stabilises the bullet.

And just a point, bullets don't actually fit down the barrel of a rifle, they're slightly larger. This is because when the round is in the chamber, the firing pin hits the percussion cap, percussion cap ignites the propellants, propellants igniting causes lots of hot gas to build up in the brass casing behind the bullet, bullet is actually stuck as it won't fit down the barrel, until it gets so much pressure acting on it, it squeezes into the barrel, and is accelerating all the way down the barrel.

Hence bullets=rapid!

USMC 1802

US Marines Officer
Reaction score
A shotgun is called such because it is meant to fire 'shot,' not simply because it is a smoothbore.

New Threads