Personality changes

Jack T

Reaction score
Alrite lads

Just wondering how much RT changes you as a person?

Obviously being in a certain environment 24/7 is going to affect you in some way and thats the point of training. But *text deleted* read a few posts and heard stuff about people coming back on leave and finding their old civvy mates annoying and not getting on with them.

I want to be a royal marine but I don't want to be changed beyond all recognition.

Cheers.

J

Jason_A

Only yourself can stop you becoming a different person. I know people who've moved all ove the place, yet remained the same person 'cause they wanted to.

christomo

Reaction score
i know how you mean mate, i dont know about changing during RT

but you will definatly change during your tour in afghanistan, wether you like it or not

and i can see why they find there old mates anoying, you have put your life on the line and being worried about getting killed and then talking to them you find that there worrying about things that dont actually really matter that much, would be anoying

elliott16

Reaction score
i agree with the above, even now i get annoyed at people worrying about stupid meaningless things. cant imagine what id be like after a tour, i'd probably just rip their heads off..

J

Jason_A

That's cillivian life, though. We all have choices.

but you will definatly change during your tour in afghanistan, wether you like it or not

And how would you know when you haven't even been? And for the record, no-one makes you put your life on the line -- it is a choice you choose to make, like everyone else. But, I have total respect for all current troops.

christomo

Reaction score
That's cillivian life, though. We all have choices.

And how would you know when you haven't even been? And for the record, no-one makes you put your life on the line -- it is a choice you choose to make, like everyone else. But, I have total respect for all current troops.

you get the point im making, *text deleted* be awquad, its obvious you will change in afghan

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Most of the changes you and your family notice are dependent on your age when you join.

Outwardly, if you're under 21, you can realistically expect to have a growth spurt, even if you think you have finished growing already. You will fill out more also.

You will have, without doubt greater self esteem if you gain your green beret, a little more self confidence & most people do a bit of growing up, inevitably. You will find besides feeling healthier, you will naturally feel more upbeat & most guys seem to develop a "can do" attitude to most things that come their way.

With regard my friends, I still have the same ones I went to school with and those I have served with. They're quite different & very rarely meet. Your military friends tend to be the ones that know everything about you, your true strengths and weaknesses and also know what you've been through if you've been involved in combat- your civilian friends can seldom comprehend that element.

The transformation for some of the guys from an uncertain teenager with a gloomy outlook to a quietly self-assured, happy individual often surprises their family. The other thing you often witness is guys that constantly squabble and fight with their siblings before they join up tend to massively improve their relationhips when they've been away from home for a while.

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
The other thing you often witness is guys that constantly squabble and fight with their siblings before they join up tend to massively improve their relationhips when they've been away from home for a while.

Happened to me just moving out of the house during uni haha, surprising how it happens really.

Everyone will change in some way, but you wont change so completely as for people to not recognise you for who you are.

New Threads