Personality suited to RM?

Welsh21

Reaction score
So I am hoping to apply for the RM officer position once it re opens. However having spoken to individuals currently serving (Not in the RM i might add) I am wondering if my personality type will suite the position. More specifically I have been told that generally RM are the type of people always looking to fight or whip up trouble wherever they go, thinking with their fists first and "killing machines". Im not aggressive by nature and i tend to avoid conflict to the best of my ability using my wits and what I say. Having said that, Im also the type of person to step up when S*text deleted*t hits the fan, and if conflict is the only option, im more than capable of dealing with it, and getting in that zone so to speak.

So i guess the question is, will that side of my personality go against me in the RM.

Apologies if how I have described the RM is a load of rubbish. Just voicing what I have heard from others.

Cheers for any help.

TheRents

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Seriously you will find all types personality within the Corps. I do not like the 'E word' but any elite organisation will often illicit negative comments from those who are unable to rise to the standards required to join. Often trouble will be started by those keen to prove a point or test themselves against 'elite' troops.

Being able to keep a clear head and analyse a situation is exactly what anyone in a leadership position should be capable of doing.

Being capable of eliciting physical violence is obviously a requirement of the role, remember you are a Royal Marine Commando first and and an officer second. The job of a commando is to infiltrate, degrade enemy capability and ultimately when called to do so "close and kill'.

Personally and remember I am only a dad you sound like a good fit.

Best of luck

dolly

Reaction score
Sounds like these "individuals" have never met a Royal Marine in their lives, nor dare I say, ever attempted to become one. They're not push overs, they're marines, so yes they're not afraid of a scrap (not to say they start scraps), but I can honestly say they are some of the most genuine, down to earth people I've ever met.

EDIT: They're the type of people you strive to be, so try to ditch any pre-conceived notions you may have of them, especially if you're considering a career with the RM. This is my opinion/experience and I'm not a RM.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
So I am hoping to apply for the RM officer position once it re opens. However having spoken to individuals currently serving (Not in the RM i might add) I am wondering if my personality type will suite the position. More specifically I have been told that generally RM are the type of people always looking to fight or whip up trouble wherever they go, thinking with their fists first and "killing machines". Im not aggressive by nature and i tend to avoid conflict to the best of my ability using my wits and what I say. Having said that, Im also the type of person to step up when S*text deleted*t hits the fan, and if conflict is the only option, im more than capable of dealing with it, and getting in that zone so to speak.

So i guess the question is, will that side of my personality go against me in the RM.

Apologies if how I have described the RM is a load of rubbish. Just voicing what I have heard from others.

Cheers for any help.
Who ever told you that, hasn’t got a scoobie about what they are talking about.
We aren’t knuckle dragging, troglodytes, (well some of us are) but we we aren’t paras that just go around aimlessly being violent and picking fights with each other.

Just be yourself, train hard and smart and get it smashed. Learn to continually develop yourself and develop your leadership.

Put it this way, I know what I have achieved and done, and what I can do. Why do I need to prove it to a bunch randoms who I don’t know, probably will never see, and why risk my career and health for someone else’s ego?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Opinions are like arses, everyone's got one.

I'd be more inclined to speak with the people doing a job you may aspire to undertake rather than a person who maybe didn't or couldn't make the grade, but has an opinion about it.

Hopefully, pandemics permitting, they'll run some Potential Officer Visits (POVs) this year so you can determine for yourself by meeting a few RM Officers informally.

Assuming no one spills a beer in the mess and it all doesn't kick-off. And, hopefully they manage to refrain from punching anyone, obvs. ;)

Welsh21

Reaction score
Opinions are like arses, everyone's got one.

I'd be more inclined to speak with the people doing a job you may aspire to undertake rather than a person who maybe didn't or couldn't make the grade, but has an opinion about it.

Hopefully, pandemics permitting, they'll run some Potential Officer Visits (POVs) this year so you can determine for yourself by meeting a few RM Officers informally.

Assuming no one spills a beer in the mess and it all doesn't kick-off. And, hopefully they manage to refrain from punching anyone, obvs. ;)
Yeah, that would be helpful.

Find it an impossible task to find any serving or ex serving officers. I have little idea who these people are or their personality/attributes.

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
The thing is mate, you either have it or you dont. You cant alter your personality to what you think they're looking for, over time they'll see through it. When you're in training you'll be stripped back and you're true self exposed. If you're not the guy who can stay calm, think clearly and motivate men at your lowest eb, then you're probably not cut out for it.

Go for it. Get to AIB and be yourself. If they see potential, you'll be selected based on who YOU are, not an act you've put on. Summary, be yourself but prepare as best as possible, do all the small things right. Know your history, the Corpa, current affairs etc etc

Welsh21

Reaction score
The thing is mate, you either have it or you dont. You cant alter your personality to what you think they're looking for, over time they'll see through it. When you're in training you'll be stripped back and you're true self exposed. If you're not the guy who can stay calm, think clearly and motivate men at your lowest eb, then you're probably not cut out for it.

Go for it. Get to AIB and be yourself. If they see potential, you'll be selected based on who YOU are, not an act you've put on. Summary, be yourself but prepare as best as possible, do all the small things right. Know your history, the Corpa, current affairs etc etc
Yeah, the best advice I've consistently been given, is be yourself. I try take that on board in general life, and will carry that over when I come to apply for the RM.

G_commando

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score

Cheers for any help.
You will have been talking to some one who either got filled in by a boot neck at one time or some one who wanted to join but couldn't for whatever reason.
the marines has got people from all walks of live with hugely different personalities.
that seems to be the case of judging every one on a tiny proportion of people.