Perspectives on Royal Marine Officer Personality

Trooper149

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Just a query regarding the types of personalities that perhaps the more experienced members of the forum have witnessed when it comes to Royal Marine Officers. It has been my observation that they are typically quite calm, collected and succinct. This said, while I have met a fair few ORs, I have had hardly any experience talking to YOs.

Having passed PRMC, I asked my AFCO about the possibility of transferring to Officer selection. He booked me an interview with an RM Captain, which I had today, to discuss the role of an officer and whether I would be suitable.

Shan't lie, the interview was insightful, both with regards to the job and my own personality, and whether I would be a good match. The result was he wanted me to strengthen my knowledge on the corp and reflect on some of the feedback he gave me with regards to my personality type and whether it would be suitable in an officer role. We will have another phone interview in a week.

While I have no doubt in my belief to be able to manage and administrate in a job such as a gym or restaurant, and the transferability of those skill sets, I find myself questioning if I would be suited to the role of an Officer. A big part of this, is simply a lack of face to face contact with an Officer and how they conduct themselves. I definitely think I've had experiences, which have given me a unique perspective and enabled me to be resourceful, in situations which would probably daunt a lot of other people.

This said, the corp are looking for something specific in an officer, I either have it, or I don't and if I don't then I am sure, my abilities would be put to something else just as worthwhile.

Many thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
Good query, certainly not a more experienced member of the forum, but it is my belief that while the corps are looking for a typical set of traits and qualities (some of which you have mentioned) that make an effective officer they understand that they need a bit of variation in each batch to keep fresh ideas coming through and prevent the echo chamber effect.

Your best bet is to research what criteria they are assessing you on during the POC and AIB as this is clearly what they are looking for. I was very lucky during my POC and my accommodation was with the current YO,s, what stuck out to me the most while I was talking to them was how down to earth they all were and their common sense. Basic things I know but that's what I took away.

It could be mind games your interviewing officer is playing with you, often they will give you a really hard time on the first interview to see if you are committed and double down or decide you have made a mistake and slink off.

Best of luck, focus on getting to the POC where you will be able to gather all the insight you need and remember be yourself.

Chelonian

Reaction score
This said, the corp are looking for something specific in an officer, I either have it, or I don't and if I don't then I am sure, my abilities would be put to something else just as worthwhile.
I'll throw in an opinion. Another way of thinking about it is this:

If you are academically qualified for Officer entry give it a whirl. I don't mean in a casual manner but by submitting yourself to scrutiny and letting those best placed to make a judgment do so. Bear in mind that potential is what is sought, not the end result of 52 weeks at CTCRM.

What is important is an understanding of the respective roles of Other Rank and Officer; one is not intrinsically 'better' than the other. And a significant proportion of Royal Marines Other Ranks are educationally qualified for Officer so that is merely a starting point.

Don't worry about having better 'green skills' than those you lead. You won't and it won't be expected. :)
They will expect you to have integrity, sound judgment and to have the capacity to make sensible decisions.

I understand that a POC pass also counts as a PRMC pass so your options are open. Time is against you for the 2020 Batch. The clock is ticking. But nothing ventured; nothing gained.

Reaction score
Quite simply, what do YOU want from a career in the Royal Marines. Do you actually want to be a leader?

From reading your posts throughout the forum (including your ridiculously timed “Do life changing injuries occur during CTC” ) you seem to be a worrier and overthinker. You also seem argumentative. Perhaps not the best traits of a YO. You don’t need to worry about overthinking about personality traits of officers. Your post is another example of worrying about things out of your control and allowing self doubt to stress you out yet again. Just be yourself. The Corps has been taking young people with little to no life experience and been training them to act effectively as the commanders of troops for hundreds of years, they will know if you have potential or not.

That being said- if you have the opportunity to apply as an officer and feel this is the career path for you, do it. You need potential, you don’t need be a fully fledged commando officer on day one. Officers are young people who have very ambitious goals. Whatever your background when you arrive, you'll all go on to have one thing in common - you'll all receive the best leadership and management training in the world.

Let’s be real here. It is not a given the Royal Marines will be for you.

Trooper149

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
You obviously know more about me, from a few forum posts, than I do.

Thank you for your contribution.

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
@Trooper149 Let’s try and have a sensible adult discussion here. It has the potential to generate some interesting and insightful comments. You must accept that others are allowed to hold opinion which may differ from your own. No more childish sarcasm please.

Interestingly, Sandhurst run a programme called the Leader Development Course. It is designed to assist the “at risk” potential officer candidates. It is a structured 11 week programme designed to give the candidate the best possible opportunity to pass the board and secure a place on the commissioning course. It is intended to get the less mature candidates to grow up a bit before attempting their Commissioning Course and to identify the weaker candidates before they take up an expensive spot on a commissioning course. They are paid as soldiers under training during the course.

Unsure if RM run anything similar? Does anyone know if they do?

Anyway, I am a firm believer that a good leader develops themselves by learning from others.

Below are a very small selection of links to some recommended online resources and websites that may assist in developing leadership.

https://thearmyleader.co.uk/
http://www.themilitaryleader.com/

http://groundedcuriosity.com/

https://wavellroom.com/

Trooper149

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
@Johnny_Anonie That's actually much appreciated. I do apologise and completely accept that at present, I am not the standard of an Officer and will very much follow lead when it comes to those who know more about the role than myself. Shall check out the links.

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
Leadership is an essential element of the moral component of military fighting effectiveness. Success on ops is dependent on the people to a greater degree than equipment or tactics. People determine not only the outcome of an operation, but also whether or not a force retains its moral legitimacy. Good Leadership is so very important, especially in the Royal Marines who are often at the pointy end.

Military leaders need to be at the cutting edge of the force, leading by example from the front, innovating and shaping values and behaviours to ensure success that is moral and lawful. In doing so HM Forces can retain its legitimacy and the support of the Nation. The moral component must be maintained in all situations, and future success depends on good leadership in barracks, during training and in staff environments just as much as when on operations.

All leaders, regardless of rank, must realise the critical role they play. From a dogsbody L/Cpl right up to the overweight General.

Character is the bedrock on which the whole edifice of leadership rests. Without it, particularly in the military profession, failure in peace, disaster in war, or, at best, mediocrity in both will result. ~ General Ridgeway

Trooper149

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Royal Marine officers require a wider maturity before they are ready to assume a leadership role.

A key lesson that any SNCO will offer a young Officer is “Knowing when to shut up and when to stop digging are useful skills, sir”
I apologise and thank you.

P.S. that quote sounds like something from the 1970s WW2 Comedy Series "It Aint Half Hot Mum" :D

Flubberdog

Reaction score
@Trooper149 There is a great deal of knowledge and experience on this site and please do take it under consideration! Lots of good posts on this thread.

But meanwhile, you have an opportunity to put yourself forward for this. It will be the toughest and most exhilarating thing you will ever do. Go for it with all your heart. Don't over analyse. If you have the potential, then the TT will bring it out! Relax -jimlad- and enjoy the ride!