PFJT Run...

himself

Reaction score
hows tricks folks... i did my PFJT there a few weeks ago and i ment to ask if any one else found that the run wasnt on a treadmill - it was your good aul fashioned outdoorsie run - now i appreciate that i really cant complain because you have to be fit for it but it did throw me off somewhat seeing as id trained on a treadmill to sort my times and speeds accordingly.. i scraped through it but not nearly in the time id posted on a treadmill - i struggle with times on the road seeing as im more a forest gumper, as in i like to plod along appose to busting me nuts in fifth gear. now if im running alongside others it helps me immensely having some one to help my pace but alone...... im like a sunday driver so turning up after having to jog to get there on time from the train station only to find i had to run around on my own was a bit of a panic!

so be warned... to hell with treadmill from here on in!

WrapJuice

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
"busting me nuts in fifth gear" *text deleted*!

Congrats on completing the run mate! I have to retake the psychometric test in August which I'm counting down the days to.

Any advice considering you are further in the recruitment process than i am?

thanks,
Marco Baldanza

Charlie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
hows tricks folks... i did my PFJT there a few weeks ago and i ment to ask if any one else found that the run wasnt on a treadmill - it was your good aul fashioned outdoorsie run - now i appreciate that i really cant complain because you have to be fit for it but it did throw me off somewhat seeing as id trained on a treadmill to sort my times and speeds accordingly.. i scraped through it but not nearly in the time id posted on a treadmill - i struggle with times on the road seeing as im more a forest gumper, as in i like to plod along appose to busting me nuts in fifth gear. now if im running alongside others it helps me immensely having some one to help my pace but alone...... im like a sunday driver so turning up after having to jog to get there on time from the train station only to find i had to run around on my own was a bit of a panic!

so be warned... to hell with treadmill from here on in!

thats strange i havent heard anything about it changing from treadmill to road?

congrats on passing it anyway, are you sure it was the PJFT ?

i did mine on a treadmill :dontaskme:

himself

Reaction score
im guessing with the test there was a section you struggled on so just put in some practice into that... im *text deleted**text deleted*e with numbers and if i run out of fingers to count on im *text deleted**text deleted*ed but i used the booklet they sent and theres a *text deleted**text deleted* load of tests like those online so i just make sure i knew the jist of things so nothing would really surprise me - also its important to watch your time - im dyslexic and thats what i found the hardest, im used to reading.. rereading then reading some more before i attempt a question so i had to discipline meself - move on to the next question and if time allows come back to it

the interview is grand... do your home work and just sell yourself as you would for any job interview and throw in lots of polite manners - im not saying stick your head up anyones arse but project confidence and enthusiasim

the medical is grand really providing nothings hanging off and you havent been throw a train wreck - although i passed i was warned id need to have some dental work done before joining

PJFT - run forest run... forget the treadmill!!

Motivation is the biggest demon of it all.... or so i found.. really is hard juggling work and training well for me anyways - you get good steam up for a week or two then it has to take a back seat while clients scream at me... but as the boys say train hard fight easy so even though your test isnt till august start now.... also if you can find some one or a club or something to train with... i get soooo lonely on my runs :(

himself

Reaction score
the above post is for Mr Baldanza... ment to send that as a private message..

and yup definitely a PFJT it had pushup and pressups and all that jazz.. now the only thing that maybe could account for it was the fact i was also doing it with some lass who was going for the navy and maybe they dont do it on treadmills? not that she was any used to me, we thought she got lost until she showed up with a time over 16 minutes...

Brucey1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
first time ive heard of pushups etc in a PJFT too. Looks like we all had it easy compared to you mate!

himself

Reaction score
id the whole bang out as many in two minutes thing and the pull ups... thought that was the script? ah well... i once heard some one say sweats never wasted and it was a good measure of what i need to improve on... and indeed i need to improve - Gandhi himself would put my pushups to shame

Jask1982

Reaction score
i've been told my pjft is on a tredmill, which im glad!! would struggle at the mo to get under 10 min on the road.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
PJFTs are always just a 1.5 mile (2.4Km) treadmill run in under 10 minutes. So far as I'm aware this is nationwide.

If you have a local RNR or RMR unit it is possible for your PJFT to be taken as a road-run by qualified PT staff, but this tends to be more for Reservists than Regulars.

The RAF PJFT is a treadmill pass/fail run, but includes a one minute best effort sit-ups & one minute best effort press-ups, the run is the only pass/fail element for all services.

himself

Reaction score
I did it up in Belfast and it was with an Army PTI... maybe it was just an exception than a change - either way a pass is a pass... one more stage chalked off the list...

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
It used to be done on the road or track years and years ago and I belive it should again be done on the road or track. It's quite strange you did it on the road though considering everyone else done it on the ole mill but, maybe like Ninja said if you're near a RMR I suppose the might?

It's a bit confuddling

Midnight_assassin

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I had to travel about 80 miles to mine by train, then get a bus, but I never use buses and the timetable things were down, so I was screwed, so I had to walk 4 miles to mine then do the run straight off, but it was on a tredmill!

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I had to travel about 80 miles to mine by train, then get a bus, but I never use buses and the timetable things were down, so I was screwed, so I had to walk 4 miles to mine then do the run straight off, but it was on a tredmill!

You deserve nothing less, why didn't you just walk the 80 miles there? =P

WrapJuice

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
im guessing with the test there was a section you struggled on so just put in some practice into that... im *text deleted**text deleted*e with numbers and if i run out of fingers to count on im *text deleted**text deleted*ed but i used the booklet they sent and theres a *text deleted**text deleted* load of tests like those online so i just make sure i knew the jist of things so nothing would really surprise me - also its important to watch your time - im dyslexic and thats what i found the hardest, im used to reading.. rereading then reading some more before i attempt a question so i had to discipline meself - move on to the next question and if time allows come back to it

the interview is grand... do your home work and just sell yourself as you would for any job interview and throw in lots of polite manners - im not saying stick your head up anyones arse but project confidence and enthusiasim

the medical is grand really providing nothings hanging off and you havent been throw a train wreck - although i passed i was warned id need to have some dental work done before joining

PJFT - run forest run... forget the treadmill!!

Motivation is the biggest demon of it all.... or so i found.. really is hard juggling work and training well for me anyways - you get good steam up for a week or two then it has to take a back seat while clients scream at me... but as the boys say train hard fight easy so even though your test isnt till august start now.... also if you can find some one or a club or something to train with... i get soooo lonely on my runs :(

Thank you for this, it's a great help. I'm the same with the numbers, not really my strong point! i have enrolled on a course and i'm hoping this will help.

They are making people redundant at work as of today and i have volunteered to make my self redundant in the hope that i can spend a lot of time training.

I already do 5 days a week training, 3 mile runs in the morning and gym/6.5 mile runs in the evening. my upper body is where is struggle though. i do most of my exercise with my friend who is an ex rugby player, and i agree it's much better with someone else. it pushes you hard i think.

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
i think "himself" must be a bit confused. you said you done press ups in 2 mins and pull ups etc on the PJFT, but the press ups and pull ups are only done on the PRMC or the aquantance day. by the sounds of it you done an aquaintance day becausew from what i have heard they do a 1.5 mile run on the road on that day.

sorry if this was already stated but i read the posts and couldn't see it.