Philosophical question

AsdaOwn

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
What is this subject katniss? Is philosophy a class in your school or is it apart of humanity studies? A level or GCSE?

AsdaOwn

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Have a Google of David Brent. Top class philosopher who has helped me many times.
Katniss said to me she doesn’t study this in school but instead as a philosophy teacher that she sees. Seems fishy to me!

KatnissEverdeen

Reaction score
Katniss said to me she doesn’t study this in school but instead as a philosophy teacher that she sees. Seems fishy to me!
I said that I study it as a separate subject in school not for testing for a level or gcse.

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score

Mate let's just allow the thread to flow. Its quite an interesting topic. Nobody is on trial.

We have trained ranks on here who can moderate the site and the threads if required, so no need to police them yourself.

It can be rather frustrating when a mature conversation gets interjected with he said she said.

AsdaOwn

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Mate let's just allow the thread to flow. Its quite an interesting topic. Nobody is on trial.

We have trained ranks on here who can moderate the site and the threads if required, so no need to police them yourself.

It can be rather frustrating when a mature conversation gets interjected with he said she said.
Ok mate my bad. Ok getting back on track with regards to the baby and the 45 year old. I’d pick baby every time. That baby requires as adults supervision and can’t have free will the same as the women. The women has already lived a significant portion of her life and although she might be a doctor which could save countless other lives the baby is untapped potential. My morale compass couldn’t let a baby come to harm

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
[
The one whose most likely to survive depending on a number of factors and the one I spot first. If the woman has got a traumatic injury then Ill go for the baby and vice versa but If I find one first then Ill go for them. But I am assuming they are in the same room

This is a good thought process.
If you came across a casualty with traumatic injures you're immediate action would be to provide first aid.

However, on abit of a tanjent if you were to have mass casualties in a single incident of course you will Triage them and prioritise who requires urgent attention first. Which I think is what you were describing

KatnissEverdeen

Reaction score
Honestly in that situation I would just call emergency services. I cant exactly imagine myself running into danger even though I would like to think I could.

gumpo

Reaction score
There’s many variables to this question.
Let’s suppose they are in the same room, first thought is, are both saveable life? As if the baby had obviously died and the woman is breathing, you would have to make that decision based on there is only one saves Le life.
If both are alive, what were your conditions entering the building? What is the danger to yourself? Are you able to successfully pull out the adult without getting yourself killed in the process.

my final answer. Be an absolute legend and save both

gumpo

Reaction score
Honestly in that situation I would just call emergency services. I cant exactly imagine myself running into danger even though I would like to think I could.

you might just surprise yourself when placed in a situation like that. Might get a bit of danger in the marines bare in mind!

KatnissEverdeen

Reaction score
you might just surprise yourself when placed in a situation like that. Might get a bit of danger in the marines bare in mind!
Good point but Its different running into danger with your buddies beside you. If My friend was beside me I would probably go as it would ease my mind that I have my friend next to me

Aerial

Reaction score
The question of who to save is a good head scratcher, and one the designers of autonomous vehicles are having to grapple with in real life.

It's highly likely that autonomous vehicles will get into unavoidable accidents, and the AI will need to decide things like whether the vehicle should be crashed (potentially killing the passenger) to avoid driving into a group of pedestrians.

I find it is better to think about the real world practical implications of these questions rather than hypotheticals, or maybe that's because I'd rather not answer!

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
If two people were trapped in a burning building and you were given the task of rescuing only one would you rescue the three-month old boy or the forty-five year old woman? What factors would influence your choice?
There was a fire not too long ago. It became a case study, I’ll try and find it.

The firefighters involved had to do a ladder rescue to the window. With the fire at the room door, breaking through, the firefighter on the ladder decided to take the adult first, because it’s easier to carry an unconscious child down a ladder than a fully grown adult.

In the confusion and chaos of the situation, because this isn’t Hollywood, you won’t get far in a house fire without breathing apparatus (vast majority of deaths in structure fires is smoke inhalation, with contrasts to deaths by burns for wildfires)

You won’t know how to react, you certainly won’t turn your back on a casualty just because you think there’s another one elsewhere. Grab the closest and bring them to a point of safety then keep going.

The most Important thing in first aid and rescues is Danger - scene safety, to yourself the rescuer first then the casualty.
Triage at an RTC for example would be vastly different to triage in a domestic fire.
To an extent you can administer first aid at an RTC, with a fire you need to remove them first to give them a chance, regardless of their injuries.

edit: sort of drifted off topic a bit. Back on track; The psychology of the human brain is funny in the way that it handles these situations, you could philosophically, morally or logically act and decide who you take out first or who you triage and treat first, and you will always feel guilt, or second guess how you acted or what you could have done differently or try to justify your actions.
That’s why training is so important, you train so you know you do the best you can for that situation, it’s also why mental health care is important to, because you can’t be sucked into the “what if” or the “should have, could have” you have to accept your actions and the outcome.

This is why courts have it easy, dissecting and taking time to deliberate for hours, days, weeks over actions someone made in seconds. It’s easy to sit in a comfy seat, nice warm home, dry, resting heart rate and talk.

Last edited:

KatnissEverdeen

Reaction score
There was a fire not too long ago. It became a case study, I’ll try and find it.

The firefighters involved had to do a ladder rescue to the window. With the fire at the top. door, breaking through, the firefighter on the ladder decided to take the adult first, because it’s easier to carry an unconscious child down a ladder than a fully grown adult.
Was this a real life scenario?

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Was this a real life scenario?
Yes.

Chelonian

Reaction score
The question of who one chooses to rescue probes the moral dilemma rather than the practicalities. Similar scenarios involve people trapped undergound.

[What did ya say Skip? The kids are trapped in the old mineshaft?]

No right or wrong answer. We rationalise our decisions differently. My take, for what it's worth:

Assuming that both the child and the woman are discovered together at the same time.

1. The infant will not contribute to society in a meaningful way for another fifteen years. The woman will probably remain economically active for another twenty years.

2. Morally, the right to life is equal, regardless of age.

3. But the infant is much physically smaller and the risk to me should be less than moving an adult.

I'd choose the infant.
Unless the female casualty was that Sally Nugent off BBC News in which case the kid gets left behind.

Nature's Wish

Reaction score
In philosophy class we were asked this thought provoking questions in which I am interested in hearing your opinions:
If someone you loved was killed in front of you, but someone created a copy of them that was perfect right down to the atomic level, would they be the same person and would you love them just as much?

Personally I am sitting on the fence. Sure I would probably still love them but its an unusual thought to have. I am in decisive.
Question is vague and fantastical. Who is someone? How were they created? Anyway, probably not. Death is the natural cycle of life and the cost of love is grief. Anything that perverts death and mimics your loved one in such a way is surely malevolent in nature.