Phone networks!

Hubb97

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Afternoon, I’m just wondering what phone networks seem to work best while down at CTC, my contract has almost ran out so I’ll be looking at getting a new phone before starting training at the end of January. I’m on Three and on my PRMC had no service at all whilst in the
grots. Apologies if this has been posted before.
Thanks!

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Interesting, I’m on Three and can’t remember any real issues with signal.

I moved onto a monthly sim only contract so maybe try that and see what the signal is like before getting a 24 month contract with another network.

Illustrious

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
I'm with three and cant say I have any problems. The buildings at ctcrm are notoriously good at blocking any and all forms of modern technology.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Yep CTC is in a dip and vaguelly facing seaward. I was there three weeks back and found EE was fine at the top end but didn't check-out lower down toward the oggin.

Chelonian

Reaction score
The buildings at ctcrm are notoriously good at blocking any and all forms of modern technology.

Yep, it's almost certainly the concrete building construction. From personal experience EE, and every other network, have an excellent network coverage in East Devon.

As an aside, anyone wanting to learn more should Google Faraday's Cage. This is a theoretical physics concept apparently associated with Michael Faraday's obsession with denying his African Grey parrot access to the 1800's un-invented internet.
Explained basically, it's why one's mobile telephone signal shrinks commensurately to one's Will to Live as one walks deeper into any concrete built branch of TK Maxx.

ERFC

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Wouldn’t use Vodafone. 2 hours later and put through 5 different departments they still couldn’t answer my question. -banghead-

corvus

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
The prmc block is awful for receiving signal, but the blocks tend to be much better, I'm on 3 currently and have been on virgin mobile, 3 is better and EE tends to be quite good as well.

R

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Vodafone has a base station just outside the camp in Lympstone village I get 4g almost everywhere inside the buildings. Which wasn't the case when I was going through RT :(

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Explained basically, it's why one's mobile telephone signal shrinks commensurately to one's Will to Live as one walks deeper into any concrete built branch of TK Maxx.
Yip, it's Faraday's fault mobiles don't work in supermarkets. Oddly, having done extensive research in this area, Morrison's are worst but probably because most outlets have very few windows too.

CFGY321

Reaction score
Yep CTC is in a dip and vaguelly facing seaward. I was there three weeks back and found EE was fine at the top end but didn't check-out lower down toward the oggin.

I'm at the lower end near the oggin and I get EE fine there just prmc block is rubbish for signal

Carper94

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I was on EE at Ctc and had no issues signal wise apart from in the church, wifi cafe and Prmc block. The only time you'll be using it is in your grot anyway really and I never had issues in there. There's even complimentary wifi with the luxury 6 man rooms, and it comes as an all inclusive package with all you can eat food 4 times a day!

JWJ

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
There's even complimentary wifi with the luxury 6 man rooms, and it comes as an all inclusive package with all you can eat food 4 times a day!
Ever considered a career as a Naval Service Recruiter?

Reactions: R