PJFT 28days??

JDMSAM

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
The letter telling you to book the PJFT within 28 days. Could I delay this till January if i dont feel i will pass? Ive done the distance just not in the required time on 2% gradient! Im upping my cardio training big time now to get my times down ASAP

scott-woods

Reaction score
i'm in a similar position, but have been preping for a week and i am almost there. You will get alot better, just have faith.
28 days is enough time, but take it seriously.
Train as much as you can.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
If you have passed the medical & are following the Royal Marines Get Fit to Apply training programme, then it's difficult to justify why you cannot undergo a PJFT within 4 weeks, assuming you were not given extra time to prepare when asked about your fitness schedule at Selection Interview.

Unless you have declared you have done no training or have incurred an injury since passing the medical, then you need to talk frankly with your Careers Adviser. If you fail the first PJFT it's 8 weeks before you may re-take.

Good luck.

Feza685

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
for pjft all you need is a basic level of fitness its not hard!

Old Man

Ex-Matelot
Reaction score
Good Morning Folks,

This ones for Ninja, I think.

My lad's had his psychometric test and has his eye test today. He's told the AFCO that he wishes to spread the application process out, giving him something to look forward to every month or so, as he doesn't leave school until 09, when he hopes to join as soon as possible thereafter.

Is there a specific time-frame within which each stage must be completed (I noticed the 'within 28 days' post above)?

Or is there perhaps a recommended time-frame, such as doing prmc near to RT, or doing it as soon as possble?

pcampbell87

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Old man, I have always found my AFCO very flexible, as Ninja mentions above just be straight with them (not saying you wouldn't) and chances are they will be understanding.

If I remember correctly the PJFT is the only letter that states it should be done within a certain time frame everything else is open-ended (although I am certain the AFCO will have their own ideal timescales and deadlines). I was unable to do my PJFT within the 28 days as the gym was 30 miles away, I was very busy at work and I dont drive. I put in a quick call to the AFCO explaining the situation and they were happy with that and just asked me to do it when I had chance.

Although a PRMC pass is valid for one year it is preferred that you start RT within 6 months as obviously fitness can drop a lot in one year. If your son lets the AFCO know when he is intended on joining they can work towards that and delay things as required.

Old Man

Ex-Matelot
Reaction score
Old man, I have always found my AFCO very flexible, as Ninja mentions above just be straight with them (not saying you wouldn't) and chances are they will be understanding.

If I remember correctly the PJFT is the only letter that states it should be done within a certain time frame everything else is open-ended (although I am certain the AFCO will have their own ideal timescales and deadlines). I was unable to do my PJFT within the 28 days as the gym was 30 miles away, I was very busy at work and I dont drive. I put in a quick call to the AFCO explaining the situation and they were happy with that and just asked me to do it when I had chance.

Although a PRMC pass is valid for one year it is preferred that you start RT within 6 months as obviously fitness can drop a lot in one year. If your son lets the AFCO know when he is intended on joining they can work towards that and delay things as required.

Thanks Matey,

We'll be calling at the AFCO today with the eye results, so he can check then. Just thought it'd be worth asking the question here aswell.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Pcampbell, as always, has hit the nail on the head.

As long as the AFCO is in the picture there is no problem suspending or deferring an application. The only time the AFCO is likely to get miffed (and this often happens) is when someone is less than truthful & fails to notify of them of changes, such as contact details (address, mobile number, email etc) or when they get in trouble with the police or their financial circumstances change.

There's a danger that people may think they jeopardise their employability if they withdraw or suspend their application - this certainly isn't the case, we would rather candidates simply keep us informed to save nugatory expense & effort.