Pjft 2nd attempt?

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Mattys, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Mattys

Mattys Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Not sure what the situation is with this?

I failed my 1st attempt end of November for being pretty ill and over confident (lesson learned) and attempted it anyway as I didn’t *text deleted* delay it and come across as not motivated.

The 8 weeks time finished end of January and I know you have to take the pjft within 28 days of the medical being passed so I don’t know if it’s the same for a 2nd attempt? As the 28 days will be the middle of next week.

I have overdone the running side of things since and actually haven’t ran for nearly 2 weeks now as someone I see regularly in the gym is a physio and said it was more than likely shin splints which was handy as I didn’t *text deleted* get it checked out but the last run I did do I had to stop after a mile as they we’re becoming very sore and even sore to touch which wasn’t good at all.

I know myself this is because I was running everyday wether it was on a treadmill or outside so I have myself to blame there.

I tried contacting afco yesterday but they wasn’t available so I’m not quite sure what happens now or what happens?

Do I have to redo the medical if it goes over the 28days? Or if I don’t take it does it class as a fail and I have to wait another 8 weeks for a 3rd and final attempt?
    I waited this long just to see how i would be physical wise so just sein if I’m able to defer it till a later date when I know I’m 100% I don’t want to come across as not motivated and go to a 3rd attempt at the same time.

2. Mattys

Mattys Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    @Ninja_Stoker any idea on what happens coming to the 28 days of a 2nd attempt at pjft if I have minor shin splints? Does it class as a fail or have to re do the medical? It’s not serious will only put me back a few weeks.

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

The pjft should be booked & taken within 14 days upon receipt of the letter/email (unless the letter says different).

If you are past the time period stated in the letter without speaking to your careers adviser beforehand it'll count as a fail. If the stipulated time limit has not yet expired, just speak to your AFCO and explain the circumstances.

If it's a recurrent/ongoing injury that also was the cause of the first fail, then a re-med is inevitable. Otherwise you should be OK but a second PJFT fail does tend to start jangling alarm bells unfortunately so the moral is to talk first.

4. Mattys

Mattys Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I never receive the letter my afco just tells me to pick it up in the day of the test.

I done my 1st pjft on the 29th November failed it because I was ill even tho I was told I should have deferred it I still went ahead with it.

So I don’t know if I’ve gone past the date based on when my last one was.