PJFT booked for Sunday. Pregnant Girlfriend in Hospital.

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by hunter2240, Jul 14, 2017.

1. hunter2240

hunter2240 Member

My girlfriend is currently in a maternity ward while they try and induce the birth of our daughter.
    It's failed thus far and she's been told they'll need to section her but due to a lack of beds she's been told it won't be for a couple of days at the earliest.

I have my PJFT booked for Sunday at 12:00. I'm ready for it but I just feel its my duty to be beside her and if they decide to deliver on Sunday I'm missing one or the other.

The deadline is on Thursday but I was wondering how lenient the careers office would be with me?
    Would there be any way I could put it off for a week or two due to the circumstances or will it go against me?

Thanks.

Hunter.

2. Hubb97

Hubb97 Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Given the pretty spectacular circumstances I can't see how there'd be an issue. Just give them all call explaining everything. This pales in comparison but I've had to put mine off since January due to a knee issue and toenail surgery and they've been really patient with me so you should be fine!

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

The key is communication, so I doubt there would be an issue.

Likewise, you could always ask your partner to hang-on for 22mins & 30secs, thus helping you take a few steps closer toward securing the imminent arrival's financial security.

• Like Like x 7
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  4. hunter2240

hunter2240 Member

I posted this because I had an absolutely horrendous time getting home of my AFCO.
    Finally got hold of them after calling Glasgow, Edinburgh, Capita and then Glasgow again and finally getting someone.
    They told me initially to leave the appointment as it is and if I don't show up then they'd know why but they phoned me back and just told me to rebook for a date that suits.

I'm ready for the test but I was advised to take a couple of weeks to help my other half as she'll likely be off her feet for a bit and get adjusted to everything.

The AFCO couldn't have been better about it.

Hopefully by the end of July I'll be a father and have a PRMC date.

Thanks,

Hunter.

• Like Like x 3
  5. hunter2240

hunter2240 Member

Daughter was delivered at 12:31 today. Haven't ate not slept since yesterday so delaying was probably the best option.

I need to be in hospital all day tomorrow as my partner will still be not very mobile so I'd have been out of action.

Thanks.

Hunter.

• Winner Winner x 10
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  6. Chelonian

Chelonian Well-Known Member

Congratulations! Best wishes to you all.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  7. Fibonarchie

Fibonarchie Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Women allowed in now. When's her PJFT, or is she going with you?
    :)

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  8. hunter2240

hunter2240 Member

I do believe 12:31 would have been a fail, hahaha.

Hunter

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

Congratulations and best wishes to the three of you.

If it is a first child for both of you, I'd strongly advise you let the dust settle for about six months before commencing Recruit Training. This is to allow routines to be established and to ensure your partner is getting at least some sleep rather than going it alone whilst you are living the high-life in foundation, what with all the parties and long lie-ins. (I jest).

When my son was born I remember saying "This won't change things much, we'll still do whatever we want to do". I still can't believe how bone I must have been thinking that.

Priorities change and whilst it's appreciated you want to provide financial stability for your partner and daughter, you're strongly advised to draw a breath and take stock before diving headlong into training, at least until you are confident your family are coping OK. Dynamics usually change quite radically upon arrival of a first child and my Wife instantly fell in love with our child. Me? I took a little longer and reckon I only connected properly once he began to talk and we could discuss world politics, racing form and the finer things in life :)

On a positive note, you should be OK getting the PJFT cracked at lunchtime today after all. Your missus will probably still be zonked-out on Entonox anyway. In fact, you'll probably have time to squeeze a couple of pints in, just after the run too. She won't mind, trust me.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Chelonian

Chelonian Well-Known Member

@hunter2240 When your other half is in a better frame of mind for 'man jokes' remind her that in almost every other area of life one has to pay extra for deliveries on a Saturday. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  11. Old Man

Old Man Ex-Matelot

New life. Congratulations.

• Like Like x 1
  12. hunter2240

hunter2240 Member

Thanks for the advice, ninja.

By the time I do my PJFT and then PRMC I am looking at the end of this year for RT. My missus is fully supportive on doing it earlier but I'm not looking to rush anywhere.
    I tried that with my last application and it went disastrously.

The timeline I had thought out in my head was my PJFT at the end of this month, a PRMC in mid September and potentially November for commencing RT.

I have a couple of big weddings and events coming up that I'd be in bother if I missed. My father is getting married in October and I'm part of the wedding party so it's not practical to rush it.

I have no doubt we'll cope, my missus is a qualified early years teacher and has possibly the most maternal instinct I've ever seen and I'm not too shabby myself, haha.

I'm self employed at the moment and it's a struggle to make ends meet because my partner was signed off work from week 25 of her pregnancy. We get by pretty well most of the time but it's just when I have to take time off I don't earn so there's the lure of a steady wage higher than I'm earning now but I'm not willing to sacrifice the bond with my daughter for it. We'll get there, we never go without.

Thanks,

Hunter

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1