Pjft Failure

Otters1996

Reaction score
so last week I went for my second attempt at my pjft and failed again, everytime I do mocks I always pass with my best return time on the treadmill being 9:40. Any tips on how to improve? Maybe I might be failing myself mentally I’m not to sure, would just like some advice.
Thanks

Reaction score
so last week I went for my second attempt at my pjft and failed again, everytime I do mocks I always pass with my best return time on the treadmill being 9:40. Any tips on how to improve? Maybe I might be failing myself mentally I’m not to sure, would just like some advice.
Thanks

Sorry to hear that mate, I haven't done a proper PJFT yet so I am not very experienced but have you tried doing 2 PJFTs back to back on a treadmill with a rest in between after the first return, this will help build endurance and stamina and get you used to the treadmill . Are you able to use a treadmill for longer runs, I know it is tedious and dull but running for 40 mins on the treadmill has got me more confident on it, as I only ever previously ran outside. You could do most of your running on the treadmill until you pass PJFT. Best of luck with your training :)

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Hmmn.

Asking for advice after a second fail sounds warning bells. Big time.

Sorry, but something is seriously amiss. Possibly incline, adequate preparation, miscalciulated training speeds or distance...or simply the fact that you're rather obviously inadequately prepared.

Whilst I'm sure everyone wishes you every success, sometimes a metaphorical kick up the arse may help you to stop making excuses and get yourself on PRMC.

As my comparde @Old Man would probably say...get a grip.

Stop making excuses.

Kez1996

Reaction score
Honestly mate failing your pjft twice is unacceptable. Failing once is understandable but you should of used it as a learning curve and made sure you passed second time round. The pjft is only 10 minutes of pain and if you cant manage that then your in for a big shock if you get to prmc. Get your head down and train hard or its game over

Chelonian

Reaction score
...I went for my second attempt at my pjft and failed again,

Don't book another PJFT until you are 100% confident that you will exceed the pass mark.

Make it your mission to focus intensely on becoming a treadmill ninja.

By the way, did you take your PJFTs on the same treadmill on which you train?

Wedge98

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Get a towel,set the speed, cover the screen and run until the thing stops or you fall off trying. It's literally 10 minutes of phys haha. Do a few run throughs and don't go and do it again until you're getting like sub 9:20 at least so you've got 40 seconds in the bag

Otters1996

Reaction score
Hi everyone thanks, I definitely don’t have any excuses, I definitely understand that my mentality needs to change, it’s only 10 minutes of pain I should be able to push though it and usually I do push through it, but both times when I’ve gone to do my pjft I’ve underperformed massively. I need to give myself a major kick up the arse I did a practice run yesterday and got 9.29 on my return run, I’m definitely doing the right distance on the right incline I do 1.5m which I know is 2.4km. I genuinely can’t find an excuse for myself for why I’ve failed twice, I’m really disappointed in my performance in all honesty even though I feel like I gave 100%

Bellionaire679

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
This is last chance saloon for you mate.

If I was in your situation I would.

Train on the same treadmill you do your test.

Train harder than what is required

Keep doing more mocks!

And when on the day just keep running until you literally fall of the treadmill! (Or the test is over)

Good luck mate. Let us know how you’re getting on

Otters1996

Reaction score
The closest test centre to me is 30 mile away so it’s a hard to get there to train every day so I train on the treadmills at the local gym. I’ve been 'extra phys' myself all the time but I’ve switched it up another gear now, I do feel like I’m gett faster and faster, I’ve lost a lot of weight between my first test and my second I was 14.9 originally where as now I’m 13.6 which I believe has helped me a lot. All I can do is keep training as I have been doing until I can smash it. Outside I can do my return 1.5 in under 9mins I just need to crack it on the dreadmill now

Chelonian

Reaction score
The closest test centre to me is 30 mile away so it’s a hard to get there to train every day so I train on the treadmills at the local gym.

Without a doubt there is no substitute for specific treadmill training and a massive dose of determination. But here's something else to consider:

If some of the treadmills at your training location are not correctly calibrated your PBs might be false. The unintended deception will only catch you out when you take your PJFT on a properly calibrated treadmill at the test centre.

Consider taking a methodical approach to your treadmill training. Maybe do a spreadsheet and record your performance, particularly noting the identity of each machine. It's unlikely that all the machines at your training location are out of whack.
Also, not all treadmills are identical. Mix up your treadmill training so that you exceed the test criterion on all of them.
Best of luck.

Otters1996

Reaction score
I thought all treadmills would be set the same in all honesty haha learn something new every day, I use the same treadmill most of the time so that could be why I find it easier. Maybe if I try using different treadmills I might see a difference. Cheers for that. I’ll keep on training hard and I’ll keep you all informed on my progress. I will pass next time no matter how painful it gets. I just need to keep on pushing

Kez1996

Reaction score
My advice would be to start doing your mock runs at 3% incline if you can do that then the test should be easy work

Otters1996

Reaction score
I was thinking that last night increasing the incline, I suppose the harder i train before the easier it’ll seem when I have the test

Chelonian

Reaction score
I thought all treadmills would be set the same in all honesty haha learn something new every day, I use the same treadmill most of the time so that could be why I find it easier. Maybe if I try using different treadmills I might see a difference.

Let us know how you get on. Many people favour a particular machine and will use that one consistently rather than others. Some time ago a lad posted on here that the treadmill he was tested on 'felt different and tougher' to the one he trained on at his own gym.

Max out on your treadmill training. Get an objective measurement of your performance across several treadmills. Don't book your PJFT until you're certain that you can smash the test with confidence.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
There is a ray of hope for those who hate the dreadmill...I've just helped audit a new instruction which should be published next month. If the thing remains unchanged, the Corps may in future accept a properly invigilated BFT with a run-back time in less than 11 mins 15 secs in lieu of a PJFT.

The best chance of achieving this is either by attending an RM Look at Life Course at CTC or by attending a local RMAD which is run by qualified RN or RM PTIs.

Watch this space.

Caversham

RM Commando, Crossed The Bar 13/12/2020
Reaction score
One last tip is to set the incline at 3% or even higher for your training sessions. You should notice the difference when you come to the real thing ................again!

Good luck

Alan

Bellionaire679

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I always thought having the PJFT in a treadmill a bit strange. Obviously it makes the test more accessible and to be done locally.

I hope this gets put forward, I hate the treadmill :D

LG1664

Reaction score
Many people favour a particular machine and will use that one consistently rather than others. Some time ago a lad posted on here that the treadmill he was tested on 'felt different and tougher' to the one he trained on at his own gym.

In preparation for my PJFT I used the same treadmill more often than not and decided I’d try out another treadmill in my gym that I wasn’t use to. I found that treadmill so much more difficult for some reason and was getting a return time of over 10 mins. So I’d definitely say that not all treadmills are the same.

Otters1996

Reaction score
I really hope they do get rid of the dreadmill, when I was 16 I did a pjft outdoors and passed with a return of 8:35 which is similar to the times I can achieve outdoors now
I definitely will be trying out all these tips I’ve been getting, I’m not going to fail again I’m *text deleted* make training much harder for myself now and try different treadmills out and put it at a higher incline

Otters1996

Reaction score
There is a ray of hope for those who hate the dreadmill...I've just helped audit a new instruction which should be published next month. If the thing remains unchanged, the Corps may in future accept a properly invigilated BFT with a run-back time in less than 11 mins 15 secs in lieu of a PJFT.

The best chance of achieving this is either by attending an RM Look at Life Course at CTC or by attending a local RMAD which is run by qualified RN or RM PTIs.

Watch this space.
I think I’ll be doing a RMAD day at Liverpool next month, I’m *text deleted* be getting into the afco about it