Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

pjft fitness

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by mkrm00, Mar 6, 2019.

1. mkrm00

mkrm00 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Hey everyone. Not too long ago I came on here to enquire about changing my application Royal Marine. After having a lengthy chat with a Careers adviser I have managed to sort that out fairly quickly. Thankfully I passed my medical today with flying colours however I do know that you must book your PJFT within 28 days of your medical. As of right now, admittedly, my fitness isn't quite up to par especially when it comes to running. I can currently run the first 2.4km fairly comfortably (under 12 minutes 30) but struggle massively with the second run. I just wanted to get a few peoples opinion on if it is physically possible for me to improve my fitness to the point where I am able to pass the PJFT within 4 weeks. I am going to work as hard as I can either way but still curious as to if it is physically possible to improve in such a short time-span without over-doing it. Really appreciate it.

2. borneboy

borneboy Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Have a look if their is a RMAD coming up within the 28 days and complete the 3miler on the road

3. mkrm00

mkrm00 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Ill enquire with my AFCO on RMAD dates. I have already booked a Royal Marine Experience day in Hull for the 23rd this month so hopefully that'll be good. Thanks

4. westy

westy Well-Known Member

Hate to pop your bubble but you only have 14 days to pass your PJFT!!

5. mkrm00

mkrm00 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    So I assume if I was to fail the first attempt I would have to retake within 14 days or do you mean I have 14 days to pass my PJFT after my medical? I was under the impression that you have 28 days to book a date?

6. westy

westy Well-Known Member

14 days from the medical mate, it changed a while ago! I believe if you fail the first one, it’s 8 weeks before a retake

• Like Like x 1
  7. mkrm00

mkrm00 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Appreciate the quick reply. I wasn't aware of the change. I'll just have to go ahead with it and give it my best shot to pass first time. Would I also have to re-do the medical if I was to fail my first pjft attempt?

8. westy

westy Well-Known Member

You won’t have to redo the medical mate, just the PJFT

9. mkzxy

mkzxy New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Alright, thanks for the help!

10. sbradb

sbradb Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    If you can I think you should ask your AFCO to postpone it. There’s no point going down there if you’ve never passed it in practice and know you’re going to fail.

When it comes to training for it I just recommend lots of interval training between ‘mock runs’. You’ll be alright.

• Like Like x 1
  11. mkrm00

mkrm00 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Thanks for the word of advice. I agree, Ill definitely call up my AFCO to discuss postponing the PJFT. Any idea if you are able to decide how long to postpone or is it completely down to the AFCO?

12. StrSam

StrSam New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I failed my first PJFT because I didn't complete it beforehand like you; Spent a month training for it properly and passed it second time.

Definitely postpone it for atleast a month. Practice the test over and over and write down your ideal pace, what paces you need to have to pass, your score each time etc etc. If you're not a natural runner (like me) you'll have to practice a lot!

• Like Like x 1
  13. mkrm00

mkrm00 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Nice to hear from someone that was in similar position. A month or so sounds good and like you said with proper training and hard work should leave me in a perfectly good position to pass the PJFT. Thanks mate!

• Like Like x 1