Pjft help

Joshusky

Reaction score
Right so I have been training quite a bit, working on my strength mostly as I was quite a skinny guy. Lately I have tried to start practicing for the PJFT which is the 4.8km run on the treadmill that has to be completed under 12:30 and then under 10 mins and on a 2% incline.

I don't know if I am really unfit stamina wise but it seems almost impossible, the speed at which the time passes feels like it outweighs the distance I am traveling by a long shot, I have been trying to keep a steady pace of 12km/h as I think that is a good running speed but I don't come close to doing the first half in time. Does this mean I have to properly sprint throughout it?

Any tips would be appreciated, should I do more interval training? eat more? drink more? I really cant see what I am doing wrong, should I try to sprint it for as long as I can every day?

NR1998

Reaction score
You do realise that the test has changed recently? The second part of the run now has to be completed within 10 minutes 30 seconds, and there is no incline any more on either part of the run, so it's not as difficult as you think. I passed the pjft just by practicing it as much as possible, I also did some longer runs on roads to build up my endurance, as well as hill sprints to reduce my recovery time during the 1 minute rest - hope this helps :)

Joshusky

Reaction score
You do realise that the test has changed recently? The second part of the run now has to be completed within 10 minutes 30 seconds, and there is no incline any more on either part of the run, so it's not as difficult as you think. I passed the pjft just by practicing it as much as possible, I also did some longer runs on roads to build up my endurance, as well as hill sprints to reduce my recovery time during the 1 minute rest - hope this helps :)

How long ago did it change? I didn't hear of any change and they haven't updated it on their website. Thank you for this information :D

NR1998

Reaction score
It happened only very recently, maybe a couple of weeks ago? Officially it's because of recruitment numbers being low, unofficially its because of women joining :) (or so people have said). Phone up your afco and I'm sure they will confirm this change for you. good luck

Williamosaurus

Reaction score
I have been trying to keep a steady pace of 12km/h as I think that is a good running speed but I don't come close to doing the first half in time.

12km/h usually gets me close to 12 minutes flat. Strange. Also mathematically if you go 12km per 60 mins ÷ 12 mins = 5. Then 12km/5 = 2.4km. The notation is horrible on here but trust me 12km/h is fine. Maybe the treadmill isn't calibrated? Try another treadmill if so.

Romo

Reaction score
Mainly do interval training and mock PJFT, should be running the first 1.5 miles at around 7.2-7.3 mph to get there in 12:20-12:30 and then 9.0 mph on second 1.5 to get 10 mins. if you cant do that then decrease the speed and build up to it. for interval set a sprint speed that you want do 30 seconds to a minute in the sprint then have 15-30 seconds rest, if you need more rest at the start thats fine! hope this helps

andyw01

Reaction score
Maybe this sounds daft but are you trying to do a 4.8km in 12m30s as opposed to a 2.4km in 12m30s? If you've set the treadmill to 12km/h you should be getting in around the correct time for the first 2.4km.

Williamosaurus

Reaction score
Maybe this sounds daft but are you trying to do a 4.8km in 12m30s as opposed to a 2.4km in 12m30s? If you've set the treadmill to 12km/h you should be getting in around the correct time for the first 2.4km.
If he's trying 4.8 instead of 2.4 we need to send him to the Olympics instead of Lympstone.

Joshusky

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback guys, I genuinely think the treadmill I was on wasn't in tip top shape, when I was going 12km/h I would get to 2.4km in about 21 minutes. I genuinely thought I was really really bad at it and that the math didn't add up but I am going to try a different treadmill tomorrow :D

Joshusky

Reaction score

I get what you're getting at but no I was trying to do it in two parts, I think the treadmill was really faulty because the km was going up ridiculously slow

KenDoll

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback guys, I genuinely think the treadmill I was on wasn't in tip top shape, when I was going 12km/h I would get to 2.4km in about 21 minutes. I genuinely thought I was really really bad at it and that the math didn't add up but I am going to try a different treadmill tomorrow :D

If my math is correct you are doing 2.4 miles in 21 minutes not 2.4km if that's the pace you are setting

Latest posts

New Threads