PJFT (I hate Treadmills)

Iles

Reaction score
I've got my PJFT on Wednesday and I'm sh*text deleted**text deleted**g it.

I can manage it on the road ( just got over shin splints though and am only just scraping in in under 10.30 *text deleted* though.) but I haven't managed it on the treadmill yet, I seem to find it harder, even though my road routes all have fair hills in it, anyone got any advice?

chris1988

Reaction score
ILES basically mate youve just *text deleted* keep goin and look out for you distance when you at 1.2 and its over 5 mins seriously crank it up another 2 KPH and youll pass mate all you have to do is just keep running at a pace that hurts and keep goin on your final 2.4KPH, i was lucky and had the old one! :D

GaryA

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
i have the same problem i h8 it also i can hardly breath at my gym i think its because of all the people in the room working out and just opening windows is not oxygenating the room enough and you cant get into the zone! when your out on the road and stuff you just click after a wile and you sorta dont think but when your on a treadmill your always thinking about how your doing and looking down at the clock and it makes you fell alot more worn out but on the day i think id be ok because id know this is for the marines and i cant mess it up and that thought alone would keep me going!

JMH

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Whilst someone has brought this up thought i'd ask. I also hate running on treadmills and understand that doing the 3 miler on a RMAD can count as your PJFT, can you request this instead of doing the pjft itself or is doing the PJFT before a RMAD a requirement? thanks in advance.

Iles

Reaction score
Cheers boys, also the pessemist in me just wondering if it didn't work out how long do I have to wait to do another one?

jcooke

Reaction score
Iles bud, I hate the sort of advice I am about to give but it really is the only way. They set the speed for you, so just keep running. Doesn't matter how much it hurts and you think you cant, you will be able to finish. Its only 10 minutes worth of hard graft in the end and that’s the way you’ve got to see it. I know it is sh1t advice because I am the same as you and hated running treadmills, and I was lucky and managed to do the old PJFT, but the best thing you can do is just think how much you want to pass and smash it.

My only other bit of advice is turn up the speed a little bit if you need to, to make sure you are running at a comfortable stride length, if you let the machine dictate the pace to you it can make you loose your natural rhythm so try just turning it up a little till you feel you have a good gait at which you can run it.

Other than mate just think positive and good luck!

tetrusboy

Reaction score
my two pence worth - don't set off too fast i mean sprinting at the start will leave you hanging out of your hoop come the final kilometre. Set the speed, get your rhythm, focus on a single point ahead of you, regulate your breathing (in through nose, out through mouth), then distract yourself.

Distract yourself by counting the left foot strikes, singing in your head, picturing a road run that you can smash and pretend that's what you're doing now, and breathing.

Good luck lads

matty630

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Whilst someone has brought this up thought i'd ask. I also hate running on treadmills and understand that doing the 3 miler on a RMAD can count as your PJFT, can you request this instead of doing the pjft itself or is doing the PJFT before a RMAD a requirement? thanks in advance.

no mate its not a requirement before an rmad, think it can just sometimes work out for some people that this is before there pjft, dont think you can request this instead of a pjft(treadmill). If there was one coming up around the same time and you were fortunate enough to get on it, then maybe.

DRichardson

Reaction score
dude you'll be fine mate.

The place where i went they told you the speed not to drop below so its easier than you first think.

Just dont fall off the back like one of the guys did *text deleted*.

v3locity

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Well Good Luck!
I am doing an RMAD before my PJFT and i think it can count as my time. I do not like treadmills either but as the guys said, set a pace your comfortable with an just bang it out.

Layden23

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
whats the slowest speed you can go then to get a passing time.
so wt speed for the 12.30 = ?
and then for the 10.30 = ?

JMH

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Someone posted them on here not long ago, for the first half it was 12.6 kph and for the second half i think it was between 14 and 16 kph but not dropping below 14 kph.

hobbsy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ive got mine on tuesday mate. Did it just now, and would have passed, first half i did at 12.5 km/h, and second half i did at around 15 km/h.

cutler05

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
12.5 will do 12.30
and 14.5 will do the 10.30

i take the PJFTs where i work :bud:
for the first 2.4 just go a comfortable pace and get about 12 mins with it on 12.5 as when the forms get sent to the afco they dont care about the first 2.4km so dont burn out for it.

then 14.5 will get smack on 10mins so thats a pass.... obviously the faster the better tho!!