Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

PJFT in 3 weeks

Discussion in 'Training Methods and Diet Suggestions' started by amphibiousspoon, Feb 21, 2019.

1. amphibiousspoon

amphibiousspoon New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Hi guys,

My PJFT is in 3 weeks and I have recently developed the dreaded shin splints!

Has anyone got any high intensity training suggestions I can do to keep my fitness as high as possible without running on the treadmill?

My weekly training has been

Mon: mock PJFT
    Tues: (2x 6x400)
    Wed: REST
    Thurs: (2x 6x400)
    Fri: Upper body circuit
    Sat&Sun: REST

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  2. RCTJ0012

RCTJ0012 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I've found rowing is great when you have shin splints, I used to row as hard and far as I could in 10 minutes then do press-ups and sit-ups between the row's then back to rowing. Rinse and repeat until you can't do it anymore.

Swimming is also pretty good, swim hard and control your breathing. Do an hour or so of front crawl and treading water and you'll feel it.

• Like Like x 2
  3. amphibiousspoon

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Awesome thanks! Are you doing press-ups and sit-ups to failure also?

4. RCTJ0012

RCTJ0012 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Yeah I do them until failure, once that's all done I'll head to the pull-up bar and do 20 pull-ups in however many sets it takes and call it a day.

• Like Like x 1
  5. StrSam

StrSam New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    @Bootra posted some rowing circuits you can do which are absolutely hideous but work a charm. It says for the prmc but I'm sure you'll find them super useful too.

Be very careful and make sure you stretch and/Or ice your shins after you run. Mine niggle me every now and again too but you have to stay on top of your recovery

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  6. amphibiousspoon

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Cheers mate

7. Corona

Corona Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    With regards to shin splints, if you can, I'd get around to a physio as I found prevention as well as cure there (turns out I had way too much of a spring in my step).

There's quite a few stretches you can try and depending on whats causing them some strength exercises also.

Hope it all goes well.

• Like Like x 1
  8. StrSam

StrSam New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    What did the physio say? I might head down to a physio for a massage anyway, so I'll mention about my shins too.

9. amphibiousspoon

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Cheers, think I'll head down to one and see, maybe its the way i'm running rather than an overuse thing

10. Kalashnikov30

Kalashnikov30 New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    I have no idea what your running background is so take this with a pinch of salt, but 2 lots of intervals a week and a PJFT is a lot of fast-paced running. I found that when I transitioned from steady running for longer distance to fast paced interval training that’s when my shins/calves took a pounding! You might want to add a couple of gentle runs instead of constantly hammering the speedwork. You’ll probably find it helps your PJFT time too. Best of luck mate

• Like Like x 1