PJFT & Music

A

Account Removed

Are you allowed to listen to music (i.e. through iPods etc) during your PJFT?

OneMoreWrap

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Good question, especially to kill the boring treadmill runs!
I would say it depended where you did it and who was supervising.

GreenLidSeaker

Reaction score
I was allowed to do my PJFT listening to music, but as said before it depends on who is supervising it.

Josh.

Mingmong

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Aye, I was allowed as well. Think its common practice.

MacheteMeetsBiscuit

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Good question this actually - and it's good to find out that music's allowed! (could of made a rubbish play on words here but the filter blocked the other spelling of allowed :sad:)

They say music can improve physical performance by up to 20% in the right setting and this could make a huge difference to your return. Just this morning I went and ran a 6-minute mile, which is a first, and it's the first time I've ever run with music so maybe they're right!

Grimmey

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Good question this actually - and it's good to find out that music's allowed! (could of made a rubbish play on words here but the filter blocked the other spelling of allowed :sad:)

They say music can improve physical performance by up to 20% in the right setting and this could make a huge difference to your return. Just this morning I went and ran a 6-minute mile, which is a first, and it's the first time I've ever run with music so maybe they're right!
machete considering you run a return of 09:34 that's not surprising you can run a 6 minute mile just work it and keep going at that pace for another half a mile and you'll get 09:00 time:bigsmile:

MacheteMeetsBiscuit

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
machete considering you run a return of 09:34 that's not surprising you can run a 6 minute mile just work it and keep going at that pace for another half a mile and you'll get 09:00 time:bigsmile:
Yeah, good point but my times recently dropped due to bad diet/training etc (just didn't want to change the sig, out of shame!) so it's good to be back on track!

What are you running yourself right now?

Chubbo

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I wasn't allowed to when i done mine. Guy told me he would be giving me instructions while i ran. All he said was "your doing fine"

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
If your fitness centre allows it, they aren't following the guidelines.

X-Guard

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I don't see the problem. You're going to be listening to the music that they blast throughout the entire gym anyway so why not put on some headphones and choose something you actually like?

Yossarian

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Worth taking into account you'll be doing the same thing on your PRMC, and throughout RT, without any music!

MacheteMeetsBiscuit

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
^ This is also a good point. If anything, the difference between PRMC and PJFT is that on PRMC you have the countryside to look at, whereas all you have on PJFT is a wall.

OneMoreWrap

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
With PRMC it would be fine, I like to run outside and actually go places as you run. PJFT is just so boring, you run as the clock ticks right in front of you. Suppose on the other hand it does test you mentally.

Craigh88

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
At end of the day the people at the gyms are just gym instructors or pt's not navy staff.... if you sweet talk them theyll let you use music, if they don't like you and are being awkward they wont.

Mine said i could use it on the return run but not on the 12:30 run oddly. I find i need music to keep me interested on a treadmill but not outside when running. God knows why.

Grimmey

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, good point but my times recently dropped due to bad diet/training etc (just didn't want to change the sig, out of shame!) so it's good to be back on track!

What are you running yourself right now?
haven't actually measured properly but i know i can run a 6 minute mile so i am confident i can run a mile and a half under the 10 minute mark