PJFT on Sunday - Need advice!

AndyBrookes1995

Reaction score
Alright people, I got my PJFT on 25th March (Sunday). I have been at the gym on the treadmills and doing the runs and this is my best time so far....

First 1.5 miles - 12.01
Second 1.5 miles - 10.19

I need to knock 19 seconds of that last time. Anyone got any suggestions on good things to do to get the time down. Last week it was 11.17 for my second 1.5 miles and in just under a week I have knocked 58 seconds off it so surley I can get rid of those 19 seconds.

If anyone has got any suggestions then please let me know? I have only got 8 days left until I've got my test and I really dont want to fail, cheers.

Chrisswan

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
if you think your not ready for the test postpone it, but the adrenaline will help on the day

OneMoreWrap

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Why did you allow yourself to get to this stage if you weren't ready?

All I can say is set it to 15 and just stay on it! If you want it that bad you will make it

AndyBrookes1995

Reaction score
Not really sure, I just want to get in there. I think I can do it and I'm going to do 3 more practise runs before I actually do the test so I reckon I will be able to get it under ten minutes. Even if I don't manage to make it, its all experience at the end of the day and I will just keep trying until I make it in.

OneMoreWrap

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
You only get three shots so you should be more careful!
Just go for it and don't slow down, it's only 1.5 miles and the time is achievable!

AVS

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
how do you postpone it? and for how long can you oO

OneMoreWrap

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
You cant postpone it ,once you have passed your medical you have 4 weeks to pass PJFT. If you aren't up to scratch then you will have to cancel and re take your medical.

AndyBrookes1995

Reaction score
Yeah I reckon I will be able to do it, I will just think how bad I *text deleted**text deleted** get it when I'm running. Got a question, on the first 2.4km can you change the speed or does it have to be on a set speed? Cause at the moment I am doing the first 2.4k on 11.6 for 8 minutes then upping it to 12.4 for the last 4 minutes or so. Is that *text deleted**text deleted** or do I have to have it on one fixed speed?

OneMoreWrap

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
The supervisor will usually set it but you can change it. People do it differently and go quite fast then really slow at the end to extend their break between runs but I find it best to use the first run as a warm up and remain at a constant pace!

AndyBrookes1995

Reaction score
Okay thanks well I will be doing a mock run tomorrow so hopefully I will be able to get it under 10 minutes on the return, just going to start the run at 14.5 and try and stick there!

OneMoreWrap

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Just stick in there, concentrate on something else in the room.
Good luck, how fast can you do it on road? Minus the 2% gradient

AndyBrookes1995

Reaction score
Cheers, yeah I will. Haven't done it on the road yet. Used to do road running a lot but never timed my self. Where abouts are you in the selection process? Have you done a PJFT yet?

OneMoreWrap

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I have done all my training on road and average around 9:20 return but got 9:56 on my mock PJFT!

I am waiting for a medical date myself.... Should hear back soon hopefully.

jallen289

Reaction score
I hope this isn't too late, if you stay at 14.5 I think that's a fail. The minimum speed to have it on for a pass it 14.8 I believe. If you do this, make the last 400 metres a sprint.
Let us know either way mate, I have my PJFT Tuesday.

AndyBrookes1995

Reaction score
Well good luck with your medical mate. Yeah I was just *text deleted**text deleted** stay at 14 for the first 1.2k and then just smash the last 1.2k by building it up and hopefully do the last 400 meters on 15.2 or something. Going to go down the gym soon and see what I get!

AndyBrookes1995

Reaction score
By the way my PJFT isn't until next sunday so I have some time to improve on my time and rest up. Good luck with your PJFT on tuesday.

gym beast

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
take the first one steady, dont try do it in 11 minutes or anything. personally i was doing 13.5 most of the first run, then dropped it to 6 for the final 180m to get in in 12.15, and use the extra couple of minutes to get a breather.
on the second run dont burn yourself out too quick, set off at about 15, maybe just under, and just keep steady breathing, maybe up it a bit if you feel like you can. apart from that all i can say is don't press the stop button, i was really struggling and from 1.4-1.7 of the return i was trying not to be sick, but you'll feel a lot worse if you pull up short. by the time you've had a drink and a breather you would of passed if you'd stuck at it.
you might get some nerves on the day, i know i did and i spent all morning in the toilet, and i found it a lot harder than any of my mocks. but you know from the start if you just stay on the treadmill and dont slow it down below 14.8 on the second run then you've passed.
i broke it down into 20x30 second intervals when i ran it, i dunno if that will help you but for me to count them down gave me a bit more stopping power knowing i only had 5 more intervals.
on the morning of the test dont eat too much, i tried to settle my stomach and it definately backfired when i started to feel bloated a couple of minutes in.
good luck anyway fella, you'll pass if you stick at it, just remember, no matter how bad you feel, you'll feel a lot worse if you bottle it before you finish

AndyBrookes1995

Reaction score
Cheers for that, was interesting reading though it. Yeah that 20x30 second intervals will help me a lot. I will be doing 2 more mock runs before sunday, one tomorrow and one on thursday so hopefully the one on thursday I will be able to get under ten minutes.

OneMoreWrap

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I did a mock this morning and got 12.05 for first run and 9:44 return :)
12 all the way for first run and 15 for second and just stick to it

hlauste

Reaction score
just set it to 12 for the first one and crack that, then for the return just keep it at 15, remember its not meant to be easy otherwise everyone would be doing it! it may be a struggle but just keep plodding on, before you know it, it ll be over. remember its only 10 minutes of discomfort! you ll be mighty annyoed if u have to wait x amount of weeks for a retake.