PJFT Pass but not good enough???

NicholasSkamballis

Reaction score
I took my PJFT the other day and passed by the skin of my teeth 9:58 ( I didn't do myself justice ) however on taking my results to my AFCO he told me it wasn't good enough and to do it again otherwise I will not be put on a PRMC (I said i'm happy to do it again if i'm not going to be put on PRMC i don't really have a choice but be happy *text deleted* so i took it on the chin and cracking on to doing it again). But as it says in black and white 10mins it should be. My AFCO said i haven't failed but i'm not going on PRMC with that time.

Has this happenned to anyone else before?

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
i think he wants you to get 9:45 which is an almost constant pace of 15kph i think. but it shouldn't happen, if you passed you passed. also he probably thinks that if he puts you onto the prmc when you have only just passed the PJFT then you wont pass the 3 miler.

NicholasSkamballis

Reaction score
My guy said 9:30, but i understand where he comes from as in submitting a guy for PRMC who may not be ready, and i do not want to fail. Plus if i can do it once in theory i can do it again so why not! *text deleted*

Brucey1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I've got the same fella as you mate at chelmsford and I passed at 9.44. He put me through to pRMC but he wasnt best pleased with that time either

Chris5818

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
First time i walked into the recruiting office my officer told me to fook off and lose a stone before i even did the PJFT!!

Never did lose that stone, just wore some extra tight clothes the next time i went in and shaved my head.

I know its a pass mate, but it is pushing it close and the amount of money that gets spent on you just to do the PRMC is a small fortune so they may as well be sure, at the end of the day its only more fitness and more of an advantage to yourself.

I over heard in the PRMC block 6 lads failed the 3 mile run the other week, so it doesnt look good for certain careers offices does it, would you send someone down to Lympstone knowing they are on a border line pass knowing it will look bad on yourself if you failed??

Just look on it as more training mate and that your *text deleted* be better prepared

good luck

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I was told by my AFCO I wont be put through for PRMC unless I get under 9:30 *text deleted*. Fair enough I suppose, she said she wont send me down to CTC unless she and I are both 100% sure that I will pass, which is fair enough I think.
Got my PJFT tomorrow, cant wait.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
I over heard in the PRMC block 6 lads failed the 3 mile run the other week, so it doesnt look good for certain careers offices does it, would you send someone down to Lympstone knowing they are on a border line pass knowing it will look bad on yourself if you failed??

Just look on it as more training mate and that your *text deleted* be better prepared

good luck
Fair call.

From an AFCO perspective, we're told that currently 75% of PRMC fails occur on the 3 miler. Bear in mind most of us have a good appreciation & get regular feedback from CTC- they're not backwards in coming forwards telling us how it is. Frequently they (CTC) will ask us (AFCOs) what the hell we're doing sending someone that we should not have sent. That's what I like about it, not only does the candidate get left in no uncertain terms the standards required- the Careers Adviser gets told too.

My own (unofficial) view is that the standards accepted at PRMC have varied over the years, however since the 3 mile run was moved to the first evolution on PRMC (from the first on day 2) & the removal of the Potential Royal Marines Development Course (PRMDC) which allowed "near-misses" a second attempt within a month, the standards have "Ramped Up" significantly. Again, only my opinion, but I feel the reason standards are so absolute is because operational tours in Afghanistan have proven what a worthy foe "we" are up against & the need for absolute fitness & the need of a completely focussed individual, of the correct mindset, in order to succeed operationally.

The moral is: Pick yourself up & move forward, your Careers Adviser wants you to pass, he/she doesn't want it in the neck from an exasperated RM Corporal.

Creed

Reaction score
Fair call.

From an AFCO perspective, we're told that currently 75% of PRMC fails occur on the 3 miler. Bear in mind most of us have a good appreciation & get regular feedback from CTC- they're not backwards in coming forwards telling us how it is. Frequently they (CTC) will ask us (AFCOs) what the hell we're doing sending someone that we should not have sent. That's what I like about it, not only does the candidate get left in no uncertain terms the standards required- the Careers Adviser gets told too.

My own (unofficial) view is that the standards accepted at PRMC have varied over the years, however since the 3 mile run was moved to the first evolution on PRMC (from the first on day 2) & the removal of the Potential Royal Marines Development Course (PRMDC) which allowed "near-misses" a second attempt within a month, the standards have "Ramped Up" significantly. Again, only my opinion, but I feel the reason standards are so absolute is because operational tours in Afghanistan have proven what a worthy foe "we" are up against & the need for absolute fitness & the need of a completely focussed individual, of the correct mindset, in order to succeed operationally.

The moral is: Pick yourself up & move forward, your Careers Adviser wants you to pass, he/she doesn't want it in the neck from an exasperated RM Corporal.
True but they also say during the 32 week RT they lose 50-60% in the first 3-6 weeks

Josh

Reaction score
i was told by my afco that if i didnt get under 9min he wouldnt bother sending me!!

good job i did.

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I do belive it's a completely and utter cock up. If you're not going to be passed by the AFCO for getting a time above 9.45, why have 10 minutes as the target time? Surely one of the clever sods who comes up with the targets should have thought by now 'Well a 6 minute mile is what we expect lets make it 9 minutes instead of 10 so we don't fail the people who pass'

I think it's a little bit un-organised on the MOD's behalf, if you want to set a standard don't set it half cocked because you're prolonging peoples applications!

Jas

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I got 9:56 on my PJFT. AFCO did question why I got a bad time (ate way too much too late) but was OK with letting me carry on to the next stage.
I tried 1.5 miles PJFT style for the first time in months and got 9:45 no problem.

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I think it should be 9 minutes maximum. They expect you to do the 1.5 miler back, in 10:30 after already doing 1.5 miles. I personally wouldnt expect somebody to be able to meet that standard if they scraped in on PJFT, especially to then go on and complete the rest of the course, so I can whole heartedly understand why careers advisors are failing people, however I dont believe the fault lies with the individual AFCO or advisor at all, but with the system.
Personally if I was an advisor I dont think Id let people on PJFT unless they came in under 9 minutes, but thats just me and Im a bastard haha.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
The PJFT was introduced initially for RN about 4.5 years ago, rather than for RM candidates, as there was a very high fail rate due to poor fitness on arrival at HMS Raleigh during the week one fitness assessment & many potential sailors were discharged from training because of it. RM's were physically assessed at PRMC anyway, but since the mechanism/contract was already in place for the RN, the RM adapted it to suit, setting the pace at 10 mins 45 secs over 2.4Km.

Whilst the standard of RN recruits improved drastically, the pass/fail rate at PRMC remained largely unchanged, and because of this the individual PRMC elements were more recently changed around. The staff at Lympstone already knew from the results of Gym test One & the VO2 max (Bleep test), who would most likely fail the 3 mile run on day two, so the run was brought forward to the first evolution on Day one. As previously stated 75% of fails occur on the 3 mile run, so the less-prepared candidates get filtered out from the outset.

The official pass/fail time for the RM Pre Joining Fitness Test (PJFT) has been reduced to under 10 minutes (just over a year ago) and at AFCO level we are getting far more fails at the PJFT stage, which makes financial sense as the PJFT is a lot cheaper than a PRMC. The problem is that a lot of those passing the PJFT are still failing the 3 mile run on PRMC. This is why the pass/fail percentage is not to be relied upon as assessing your odds of passing. In the ideal world we would only send those that are going to pass. The paradox is if everyone passed, there would be no point having it. Some AFCOs have the luxury of being geographically located within relatively easy commuting distance of an RMR unit where candidates can be invited to attend a Royal Marines Acquaint Day (RMAD) before PRMC, which is of mutual benefit to all in assessing the candidates fitness before PRMC.

The biggest problem from AFCO level is trying to convince candidates if experience tells us that their fitness regime is inadequate, unconvincing or has not been established at the current intensity for long-enough. Many already know they can undertake the individual elements of the RM Fitness Assessment (RMFA), but do not always carry them out in relatively quick succession and if they are being honest, often they can only reach the minimum targets rather than the ideal targets. Then of course there are the "chancers" who believe they can blag their way through a PRMC - they are the ones that cost a lot of money to re-educate. Most people attending PRMC, even if they pass, will tell you it's the most physically demanding couple of days they have ever experienced.

The thing to bear in mind is that your Careers Adviser actually wants you to pass and so does the Corps Colonel, but you have to believe it if your Careers Adviser thinks you need more consolidated preparation. If you feel hard done by before you even start PRMC, you're going to get pretty miffed in Recruit Training.

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Most people attending PRMC, even if they pass, will tell you it's the most physically demanding couple of days they have ever experienced.
My mate who came back, who was very fit, 2nd on 3 mile run, and maxed out everything on the RMFA said it was the hardest three days of his life, not so much because of the phys sessions, but when your not doing them you are constantly on the go, running around etc.
Like Ive said before, on paper I am easily fit enough, 8 minute mile and a half, 60 pressups, 85 situps and 6 pull ups etc, but I think it will be interreting to see what I actually get when Im there. As Im sure it will be different.

Loz

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
So for a straight 20kmph what am i looking at for 1.5 miles?