PJFT preperation regrets

Woody

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Well up to now i've been really happy with how i've prepared and handled the previous stages (this website helped a lot!) But it's my PJFT tomorrow, i was out drinking last night, ate far too much chocolate today and generally feel pretty crappy. I haven't even got around to doing a 1.5 mile treadmill practice run. I've been working everyday but thats no excuse really.

I've done plenty of 1.5 milers before though on road and grass and i consistently get sub 9:30 so i SHOULD be fine technically. Think it's just a bit of last minute worry.

Regarding the treadmill speed. Will i be able to tell them to just put it on a speed that should get me roughly around 9:30?

Anyway, i'll let y'all know how it gets on tomorrow.

Mnemic5

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Yeah they will automatically put it on a treadmill speed to pass the test, How well you want to pass it is upto you, Pass is a pass, Go with the speed that suits you, The pace u will be running at will be at a pace that will pass ya, Really nothing to worry about mate

Stacka

Army Commando
Reaction score
Yeah if you go to one with a treadmill that does KPH, set it to 16 and do your best, i did a bit of 15 and a bit of 16, and got a 9.32

Good luck chap, im sure you wont need it though.

Normster

Reaction score
When it starts hurting thats when it really begins, just dig in deep and keep going.

Remember, 'Pain is temporary, glory is forever'

Joe B

Reaction score
alo woody. i gt my PJFT tomorrow aswell. i had a practise run on a treadmill the uvr day and believe me it is so easy.. if u can do it in that tym on the road/grass then ull hav no probs on a treadmill.. jus relax and hav an early nyt if *text deleted* worried..make sure 2 tell us how u did 2moro.. i will be :):)... good luck mate.

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
It shouldnt hurt untill 5 mins really, so even if it does, its only 5 minutes of running ... nothing to worry about at all! Good luck fella, sounds like your fit enough and Im sure you will do fine, a speed of 16 will bring you in around 9:20.

Woody

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah just a case of keeping up with the treadmill really i guess. No need to even think about pace control just *text deleted* go balls out and keep up. Should be easy enough, providing i don't go flying and slip off the treadmill or something *text deleted*. Seriously, i've only ran on a treadmill a couple of times the last being about a month ago and that was no way near the speed i'll be running at.

Mehhh.. it'll be cool :]

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
you have practiced on a tredmill though yeah and not just road? because when i decided to practice my 1.5 on a tredmill for the first time it was a shock to my system because im used to road running and varying my pace and im used to slow running on the tredmill. but thats just me, i still managed to pass so you obviously will be able to with a time like 9:30 on road.

Woody

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
you have practiced on a tredmill though yeah and not just road? because when i decided to practice my 1.5 on a tredmill for the first time it was a shock to my system because im used to road running and varying my pace and im used to slow running on the tredmill. but thats just me, i still managed to pass so you obviously will be able to with a time like 9:30 on road.
I haven't had access to a gym. I've been meaning to sign up to my college gym recently but because of it being Easter it's been closed the past few days and the constant working has made it difficult to get around to it. This is what i'm mainly worried about. I know i can do the run but on a treadmill is something very new to me.

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
fair enough. i personally found it pretty hard because i dont like a continuous pace. but honeslty mate as long as the distance you are running it spot on or a little longer there should be no problem. Just find something to say to yourself in your head if you find it hard. Worked for me.

JasonMc

Reaction score
Very best of luck *text deleted* not that youl need it have a good nights kip and 'crak on' as they say.

Woody

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Very best of luck *text deleted* not that youl need it have a good nights kip and 'crak on' as they say.
Cheers mate and to the rest of you.

*text deleted* hit the hay now actually, up at 7 to catch the train.

I'll let you all know how it goes. I'll probably wonder why i even worried :D

Woody

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Well, i passed! But i'm a bit skeptical towards my time.

I was making good progress towards a 9:30 time which was what i wanted. I kept checking the distance/time readings and i was going to up the speed significantly towards the end and go balls out. Well, i'm fairly sure the guy stopped the treadmill for me when i reached around 2.1km instead of the required 2.4km. The time i got was 8:34!

I asked the guy to confirm that i did the correct distance and he said yes, i passed the test correctly but i'm still a bit unsure. I still had a fair bit of energy left in my tank and i reached 8:34? Hmmm..

Ohwell a pass is a pass but i feel like a cheat if i didn't get the required distance, even though i know i would of. But the guy was positive that i met the distance.

Does your PJFT time influence your expected results at PRMC at all? Because i don't know if i can even legitimately get 8:34 if i was stopped early today.

Mnemic5

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Well congrats on your pass pal, Another milestone out of the way, As for the hickup with the instructor, Bit odd that,

Woody

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Well congrats on your pass pal, Another milestone out of the way, As for the hickup with the instructor, Bit odd that,
Well there could be a possibility i was looking at the wrong reading, maybe the calories or something? But i dunno.. i was pretty sure i had a little longer to go but maybe i'm underestimating my own ability. One things for sure, i'm off to the gym in a couple of days time to do it again on the treadmill in my own time and i won't be happy unless i get 8:34 or under haha.

Mnemic5

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Thats it, You got a goal now too keep it at that time, Looking forward to get on with my PRMC, when i get my transfer across, Just got back from a run with my mate in 3 para, did a 2.4km roughly n got roughlt 9 n half minutes which is a shock seeing as last time i did a timed run was my Annual fitness test in november, Aim is too keep *text deleted* that and ill be happy. ha

smithy85

Reaction score
Good result Woody, can you remember what speed you had it set on because you'll be able to work out roughly if you did the right distance. If my maths is right then you would have to be running at an average of around 16.8 Km/h to get a time of 8.34 At least its out the way now and you can get cracking towards your PRMC :)

Normster

Reaction score
Well done *text deleted* a great time! Don't doubt your own ability, i am sure the instructor would not have stopped the treadmill unless he was certain you had done the correct distance. Like you said get down the gym and try and pop out another good time.