PJFT/PRMC: Need serious running advice (I've got 1 month to PJFT/3 to PRMC)

Ninja-to

Reaction score
I did a run on the treadmill today. Came out feeling fairly uneasy. About 2 weeks ago I could go 14.6 for 10 minutes, with energy to spare (no machine warmup, I just stood and waited till it got to 14.6 then jumped on and started timing).

I try Fitness First, a different gym, and push the clock up to 15.5. At just over 6 minutes at 15.5 I'm burned out completely. I need another 3.5 minutes to clear the distance for the PJFT.

So my PJFT is coming up probably within about 4-5 weeks time. I'm in a bit of a panic and really need advice to increase the speed as efficiently as possible.

Once I've completed that goal, then I'll have time to worry about the PRMC...

For the past month I've been doing something like this:

5 mile run once or twice a week, takes about 45 mins
45 min bike ride once or twice a week
1.5 runs. I run at pace, stop and catch my breath, run again. I need between 5-7 breaks to complete the run in 10-11 minutes (not good). I do this once a week.
*I run at least twice a week, usually three or four, and bike at least once, sometimes twice. I do either a run or bike ride at least 5 days a week.

My current ability is something like this:

Treadmill: 15.5 km/h for 6+ minutes (aiming for 9.5 to make the 2.4 km)
Outdoors: 1 mile takes about 9-10 mins (aiming for 7 minutes / mile).

I've got 1 month for the PJFT, 3 for the PRMC. Really need help here guys.

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I have to be honest, I trained my arse off to beyond recognition before my PJFT and I still struggled with it. I do belive treadmills affect your running form and posture thus making it difficult.

The only way you can get over it is to train, they usually warm you up by making you jog for 400 meters or so at your own speed, then they get you off the treadmill to stretch and then they let you go full throttle (14.4 and above to pass at EXACTLY 10 minutes on the basis the treadmill will start immediately at 14.4kmph but it doesn't).

So there's the facts, now to put the science into fitness.. Run forest run! That's all you can do, if you struggle then the simple and most logical thing is to slow down. I advised someone else on the forum to increase by 1kmph ever 300 meters (0.3km) this way you can start off at an easy steady pace and end up at an acceptable speed to pass your PRMC. Starting at 10kmph won't get you a pass but ending at 14-17kmph will progressively increase your CV to cope with going at a constant speed.

Well good luck and just keep running, gradually increase your speed and try running some distances, some hill sprints, some interval training and maybe the odd bleep test once a month.

Ash

Joe

Reaction score
I did near to no specific training for my PJFT as such. Just did my normal routine. 3 x 4mile runs and 1 x 3mile per week. 3 Gym sessions. 2 Hardcore CV Circuit sessions. And a lot of random swims/bike rides with pressups/pullups/situps thrown in here there and everywhere.

When it came to running the PJFT, the PT told me to run at atleast 15km/h so i stuck it on 16 and went for it. Fair enough at about 6/7 minutes it gets uncomfortable. I finished it in 8.50. Just don't look at the timer and crack on. No matter how much it hurts just keep going. Plus, when you go to actually take your PJFT you'll be buzzin. Just train hard, run easy.

Basically all im trying to say is, don't over do trying to recreate the PJFT...it'll annoy you if you keep "failing". Do it once a week, or once every 2weeks to check your progress and carry on your normal training regime as per usual.

Im sure some guys will disagree with this, but this is my take anyhow.

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Im sure some guys will disagree with this, but this is my take anyhow.
I agree with most of it, 4 miles is a good distance to run as it immitates the effects of the PRMC 3 miler with the 30 minute warm up

SR

Reaction score
I have to be honest, I trained my arse off to beyond recognition before my PJFT and I still struggled with it. I do belive treadmills affect your running form and posture thus making it difficult.

The only way you can get over it is to train, they usually warm you up by making you jog for 400 meters or so at your own speed, then they get you off the treadmill to stretch and then they let you go full throttle (14.4 and above to pass at EXACTLY 10 minutes on the basis the treadmill will start immediately at 14.4kmph but it doesn't).

So there's the facts, now to put the science into fitness.. Run forest run! That's all you can do, if you struggle then the simple and most logical thing is to slow down. I advised someone else on the forum to increase by 1kmph ever 300 meters (0.3km) this way you can start off at an easy steady pace and end up at an acceptable speed to pass your PRMC. Starting at 10kmph won't get you a pass but ending at 14-17kmph will progressively increase your CV to cope with going at a constant speed.

Well good luck and just keep running, gradually increase your speed and try running some distances, some hill sprints, some interval training and maybe the odd bleep test once a month.

Ash
Aye that was me, been doing it since you told me about it. Find it alot better. Been starting at 13 then upping it by 1 every 0.3km until i get to 17 now.

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Aye that was me, been doing it since you told me about it. Find it alot better. Been starting at 13 then upping it by 1 every 0.3km until i get to 17 now.
Well there you go, that's absolutely awesome mate!

smithy85

Reaction score
The warm up for the 3 miler is 30 minutes long is it? not too worried about that but just interested. cheers :)

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, the warm up is a good full on workout for most people.

Brucey1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Its not 30 minutes long mate dont worry. Wasn't when I done it anyway. More like ten and not that bad. However, train as if it is and you'll be cool

Eddie

Reaction score
Its not 30 minutes long mate dont worry. Wasn't when I done it anyway. More like ten and not that bad. However, train as if it is and you'll be cool
Yeah it was the same on my PRMC just a bit of jogging and a couple of sprints its really nothing to worry about, the warm up for gym test 2 on the other hand ......... *text deleted*

Ninja-to

Reaction score
Thanks guys was finally able to get on a PC.

Well what I did was different. I put it to 15.5 from the very start and kept going. I did that for 6.5 minutes and had to stop. If it were the actual test, I'd imagine I'd make it to 7.5 at that speed before falling over or something crazy. I guess I'm not *that* far away. It's all psychological I suppose. I don't know about changing speeds mid test. That sounds a bit hard to gauge. Do you tell the observer to change the speed for you, are you're not allowed to touch the sides?

Anyway I must have about 3 weeks to 4 weeks before the PJFT. Hope it's enough time.

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
You can change the speed yourself but if at anytime you touch the sides you get stopped.. And using "I was just checking my heart rate" as an excuse is not permitted!

Ninja-to

Reaction score
Well I weighed myself after my run today, exactly 80kg, the lowest I've been in like 5 years.

I also did a 5 mile run, finished in 42 minutes, 53 seconds (about) which isn't fantastic, but it's the fastest I've done and so I'm feeling a lot better today. I can finally see some improvement. Will keep at it.

AJones

Reaction score
PJFT details

Hi, i've heard alot of different versions of the details of the PJFT and i'm really confused. i heard that the PJFT was changed or updated due to technical problems and i'm not sure what distance and times i have to run, i've been training for a 1.5 mile run in under 12 mins 30 seconds with a minute rest, then a 1.5 mile run in under 10 mins :wacko: is this correct?

thanks

RED6

Reaction score
hi yes that is correct 1.5 miles in 12:30 or under and 1 minute break and then another 1.5 miles in 10:30 or under, id advise that you dont completely stop in the minute break although the treadmill will , just keep your legs moving and you wont find it so hard to get back into, also the treadmil might be in km so dont be surprised if its 2.4km that you have to do instead of 1.5 with that the speed also will be different , dont let it throw u 2 much and dont touch the sides good luck im sure youl do fine

AJones

Reaction score
hi, thanks for the details and the advice, i'll train hard and put it into use on the day :idea: thanks again mate.

martialfu

Reaction score
I think at most centres, the fitness instructor will tell you what speed to put the running machine on to make the time (mine did anyway). You then can use that as your benchmark and dont go below it you'll be fine

AJones

Reaction score
PJFT training

*text deleted* i was on the treadmill this morning doing my usual treadmill test and i ran the first 1.5 mile easy in a comfortable 11min 32 seconds then i started the second half at 15 KPH and at about half a kilometre the sole of my trainer fell off and i was so p*text deleted**text deleted*d off to the max :mad: i'm sure i would have completed the PJFT simulation but i guess i won't know *text deleted* :eek: maybe next sunday *text deleted* :laugh: