Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Pjft second attempt

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by 19louie98, Sep 15, 2019.

1. 19louie98

19louie98 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Hi everyone,
    Recently failed my first PJFT attempt last Friday due to painful calf cramp mid way into my second run which left me limping and stopping just before I fell off. Just wondering if anyone knows how long I have to wait for a retake?
    I’ve heard people have to wait up to 8 weeks if they’re not fit enough but this wasn’t down to fitness as I’ve passed multiple mock tests. PT there said she’ll add note to the email back to the AFCO explaining the situation so hopefully that’ll speed the wait time up.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

If you completed the entire run within 10% of the target pass time, you can usually retake within a couple of weeks.

If injured or suchlike, it's probably worth talking to your careers adviser to see if there's any leeway for an early retake. As with most things, preparation is key - cramp is often due to dehydration.

• Like Like x 2
  3. 19louie98

19louie98 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    2nd attempted didn’t go to plan. Failed my 3 blood pressure tests......

4. diggernet

diggernet New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    what happened mate?

5. 19louie98

19louie98 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Failed my three blood pressure tests, meant to be 140s and under but mine were Low 150s. Never had this problem before. Been told to get a doctors note to say I’m healthy and rebook the test. Bit annoying.

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Hmmn, not having much luck.

Assuming you've not had any coffee on the day & not been silly and glugged any energy drinks within the preceding 24 hours...a gentle jog before arriving for the PJFT can often lower your BP.

7. 19louie98

19louie98 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Yeah I made sure to stay away from caffein fuelled drinks. Think for some reason nerves hit me as I failed last time and didn’t want a repeat. AFCO said juts to re book it straight away as it’s nothing major.

8. StrSam

StrSam Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Yeah I failed the first 2 blood pressure tests, and then the physio gave me a good 5 minutes and we just chatted to each other about various things. Took it again and I was fine.
    It's probably just a bit of nerves but if it happens again, ask him for a good break and just breathe deeply.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  9. 19louie98

19louie98 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    wish mine had more patience, she didn’t have any breaks just went straight the next

10. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Good grief! She may as well not have bothered. At the risk of appearing cynical she was either:

1. Simply box-ticking the blood pressure testing protocol.
    2. Simply simple.

One doesn't have to be a world class consulting cardiologist to understand that a pause of a few minutes between blood pressure tests might return a significantly different result in an individual who is otherwise healthy. As already suggested by the candidate's previous medical examination pass.

11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Interesting. Cramp foiled first attempt, BP the second (although it doesn't count as a PJFT fail).

The PJFT BP test is a safeguard requirement by the contracted fitness centre, much the same supposedly as any member of the public wishing to join the gym.

One cannot help but wonder how many people wishing to join the gym, in comparison to those only undertaking a fitness test, get knocked-back from joining the gym as a paying member due to BP.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1