PJFT training

Liam2468

Reaction score
I'll be retaking my PJFT in roughly 8 weeks, any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Monday: Mock PJFT or 4 mile run (Treadmill)

Tuesday: Cycling machine (constant speed for 40 minutes)

Wednesday: Interval Training or Hill Sprints (Also play football in the evening)

Thursday: Rest (May do some circuit training if feeling up to it)

Friday: 6 x 800m sprints (treadmill)

Saturday: Weights (Deadlifts, Squats, Bench Press, Shoulder
Press, Pull Ups and Dips)

Sunday: Rest

I shall also throw some circuit training in on a 3 of these days

Cheers

Liam2468

Reaction score
What time did you get on your first PJFT?
I didn't complete it unfortunately i cramped up in my leg. It's frustrating as the fitness first treadmills seemed harder than the one i've been using in my gym. My quickest return in my gym is a 9.50.

OneMoreWrap

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Ah, so it would be your endurance you need to work on. Get a good pace going for a 5 mile run, once a week.

If you cramped up it could have been due to failing to warm up/stretch and not preparing yourself for the test.

If I was you I wouldn't concentrate so much on the weights until after PJFT, just run, run and run until you have it at an ideal level. After that you will have plenty of time to build up your core and further your stamina in time for PRMC :)

Liam2468

Reaction score
Yeah i'll probably scrap the weights then, what do you reckon i should substitute it with? Cheers for the advice pal

RicAl91

Reaction score
Yeah i'll probably scrap the weights then, what do you reckon i should substitute it with? Cheers for the advice pal
I do weights all the time but theres no point. In my opinion the best thing to do to prepare for the marines are press ups, pull ups, sit ups, tricep dips, and variations of running, maybe with a few more body weight and cardio exercises thrown in there (burpees?). I recently hurt myself by over-doing it with weights on my legs and with 10 weeks until PRMC i'm *text deleted**text deleted**text deleted**text deleted* it. But yeah... I still do weights all the time, think i'm addicted or something.

OneMoreWrap

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Just replace it with simple body weight circuits,

Push ups
Squats
Sit ups
Planks
Mountain climbers
And ofcourse burpees!

Do 3 sets
20 seconds on
10 seconds rest
Next exercise, repeat.
1 mon between sets

gym beast

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
it looks good, but id agree with the guy above, forget the weights at this point they wont help for this. I'd try add some plyometric circuits into it, things like frog jumps, tuck jumps, burpees and knees to chest (dont know the actual name for these).
i found that the best way of dealing with pjft is using plyometrics to strengthen your legs, as you dont even notice the incline, and that was the hardest part to me

Liam2468

Reaction score
Just had a go at this circuit:

Press Ups
Squat Jumps
Sit Ups
Tuck Jumps
Tricep Dips
Burpees
Planks
Lunges

I did three sets of 20 seconds per each exercise,10 second rest between each exercise. As it gets easier i'll increase the time per exercise to 30 seconds.

OneMoreWrap

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Just had a go at this circuit:

Press Ups
Squat Jumps
Sit Ups
Tuck Jumps
Tricep Dips
Burpees
Planks
Lunges

I did three sets of 20 seconds per each exercise,10 second rest between each exercise. As it gets easier i'll increase the time per exercise to 30 seconds.
How did you find it,
First set should be hard
Second set should be a struggle
And the final set should be a nightmare!

My circuit goes
Tuck jumps
Mountain climbers
Burpees
Plank
Weighted squats
Push ups

All out for the 20 seconds!!

OneMoreWrap

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Plus if it's done outside you should add a cheeky dash in just to drain you!
I usually do my circuit after a 3 mile run when I'm nice an warmed up hah

Liam2468

Reaction score
I just made it up myself using some of the examples you boys provided. Yeh i'm going to try and find somewhere to do it outside; yesterday i did it in my room and my housemates thought the floor was going to cave in ha.

Anon.

Reaction score
Replacing heavy weight training with a decent circuit was probably one of the best training decisions I've ever made feel strong as ever and have so much endurance now so I would recommend it strongly.

The Circuit I use is:

1. Press Ups - 30/35/30
2. Sit Ups - 40/45/40
3. Squats - 40/50/40
4. Tricep Dips - 60/70/60
5. Leg Raises - 30/35/30
6. Lunges - 40/50/40
7. Chest Flys (10kg) - 30/35/30
8. Russian Twists (12kg) - 40/45/40
9. Calf Raises - 30/30/30
10. Max Pull Ups (Usually around 10) followed immediately by 40 reps of 10kg hammer curls.

2-3 Min rest.
3 Sets as shown in reps above - (1st set/2nd set/3rd set)

It's a long winded circuit and takes a while to complete but works really well, if you take note of how the stations alternate between upper body, core and legs that's probably the best way to lay a circuit out. Always make the second set the hardest.

OneMoreWrap

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Replacing heavy weight training with a decent circuit was probably one of the best training decisions I've ever made feel strong as ever and have so much endurance now so I would recommend it strongly.

The Circuit I use is:

1. Press Ups - 30/35/30
2. Sit Ups - 40/45/40
3. Squats - 40/50/40
5. Leg Raises - 30/35/30
6. Lunges - 40/50/40
10. Max Pull Ups (Usually around 10) followed immediately by 40 reps of 10kg hammer curls.

2-3 Min rest.

It's a long winded circuit and takes a while to complete but works really well, if you take note of how the stations alternate between upper body, core and legs that's probably the best way to lay a circuit out. Always make the second set the hardest.
Long winded, maybe.
Looking at your stats I would say it works *text deleted**!

AVS

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score

The Circuit I use is:

1. Press Ups - 30/35/30
2. Sit Ups - 40/45/40
3. Squats - 40/50/40
5. Leg Raises - 30/35/30
6. Lunges - 40/50/40

2-3 Min rest.

i demand explanation of this training scheme, now.

Anon.

Reaction score
i demand explanation of this training scheme, now.
Explanation? :wondering:

I have the same Psychometric date as you *text deleted**! Good luck mate 2 more days. Hope you're all revised up!