Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

PJFT Treadmill Speed

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by HEF_RM, Aug 6, 2019.

1. HEF_RM

HEF_RM Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Just passed medical after a 3 month wait! Finally,

More than happy completing a PJFT, passed it many times on road. However would anyone be able to recommend the set speeds for the 1st and 2nd runs? Must have changed from 4 years ago! Cheers

2. StrSam

StrSam Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    For me? I THINK I did 12kph for the first half up until 11.30 minutes and then walked at 5.5 for a minute and it was exactly 12.30 minutes. Was nice to walk for me just to get ready for the return (try for yourself to make sure though).
    Second run I changed from 13-18kph depending on how I felt that minute (I prefer changing speeds at faster paces rather than a steady slow death)
    Probably better answers from people on here but it worked for me just about!

3. ALDL9RM

ALDL9RM Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    I haven’t tested this personally but saved it a while ago. CC276DC8-0ED5-40FD-82B5-8E863B306004.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
  4. AngryArgie

AngryArgie Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    1st Run stick it on 12.

2nd Run I stuck it on 15 till 1200 down to 14.5 till 1400 then up to 16 till 1800 and sprint finish at 18/19 got me in at around 9:04,

Good luck mate let us know how you get on. You booked one yet?

• Like Like x 1
  5. HotelBravoMike

HotelBravoMike Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    However which way you end up doing it, don't end up doing what I did... zoning out until 2000m and having to crank it as high as it went to make sure I got there in time.

There's a lot of ways to do it but I think most people tend to vary the speed rather than stick to one speed. I personally like to crank up the speed every few hundred metres, starting on 14kph, until I end on a sprint at 18-19 and it gets me in around 9:30.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  6. HEF_RM

HEF_RM Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT

Got in booked for next Friday the 16th! :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. HEF_RM

HEF_RM Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Passed with a 11:20 on the first (12.5KPH) and a 9:50 on the second run (14.5)

Took it pretty chilled, and just kept it on a constant speed, wasn't going for a mega time.

• Like Like x 5
  8. The guide

The guide Ex RAF, Ex Royal Marines, now RN.! go figure

You have heard the term " best effort"..this is one thing that should always be applied, even during the recruiting process.!!

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Not a bop at the OP (well done), but one thing that never ceases to amaze me is the number of applicants who have never even run on a treadmill until the day of the PJFT itself.

Treadmill running is quite different to an outdoor run - some find it easy, others quite the opposite, but anyone unfamiliar with treadmill running (which can be ditched entirely after passing the PJFT), would be unwise in the extreme to arrive with the intention of using the first attempt to 'test the water', get used to running on a treadmill "safe" in the knowledge there's another couple of freebies available.

From a recruiter's perspective it's the very first snapshot to determine whether someone is physically viable ...or raise a prominent question mark over their integrity when comparing what they claim at interview to what they can actually achieve.

When bidding for a place on PRMC, unless there's an RMAD at that point of selection, the only gauge of preparedness is the PJFT run-time. Anyone who takes three attempts to pass a PJFT will probably find their Careers Adviser is not going to lift heaven & earth to get them on a PRMC that they are probably going to approach with the same mindset as their PJFTs.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  10. ex killick

ex killick Ex-Matelot

Think you may have to improve that. But, well done anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  11. HotelBravoMike

HotelBravoMike Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    A pass is a pass at the end of the day but to echo what was said above; best effort. Down at PRMC everything is maximum effort and from what I hear in RT it's even more full on. There's only two speeds; standing completely still or moving as fast as you can.

That being said, congrats and good luck on PRMC!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Dreadmills:
    Just to echo the above. Bear in mind that not all treadmills are equal. Get the treadmill miles in to become familiar with the difference compared to road running. And don't do all the training on a 'favourite' treadmill at a local gym. The treadmill experience can vary between machines. Some are better maintained than others. Calibration is another factor; a treadmill which returns 'flattering' results won't do anyone any favours if the PJFT is done on a more accurate machine.
    It's likely that the PJFT will be done on a treadmill one has never used before so minimise unpleasant surprises by training on a variety of machines if possible.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ex killick

ex killick Ex-Matelot

Treadmills are ace!

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  14. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

No matter the circumstance- if anyone sees @ex killick running... call the Police.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  15. sharpe

sharpe Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Well at least if he’s on a treadmill the foot chase will be brief:)

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  16. epicurean

epicurean New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Hi, glad you passed medical, I had a 3 month wait too.

I’ve passed pjft just waiting for prmc. When I use treadmills I set the pace for the first 2.4 at 12kph and that brings me in bang on 12 mins and is a really slow pace.

On the return run for my actual PJFT I set the pace at 13.8kph and increased it every 400m or so until I was at 20kph.

On the rare occasion that I use treadmills now I always set it to 15kph for the return run and it brings me in at 9:36 which is a decent return time.

When I was training for pjft I used this spread sheet which really helps work out your times if you really want to drill into that much. However if you’re doing ok on the road then you’ll be fine.

Attached Files:

17. HEF_RM

HEF_RM Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT

Hiya mate I passed PJFT on Friday, ran 12.5 and a 14.5, felt horrible on the treadmill so didn't *text deleted* try and go mega and happen to mess up, so just kept it on a set speed. Thanks anyway for the timings always interesting to know. Cheers!

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  18. epicurean

epicurean New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Well done, it feels good once you’ve got that formality out the way doesn’t it. Have you managed to get a date for your PRMC yet? Mines taking forever to come through

• Like Like x 1
  19. HEF_RM

HEF_RM Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT

phoned them yesterday and hoping for end of October, they said they are *text deleted* confirm soon

20. ex killick

ex killick Ex-Matelot

Always topless though! Old threads. Ha