PJFT

HotelRomeo

Reaction score
I recently passed my PJFT with a time around the 9:30 mark. This was my second attempt at the actual run , however I had been turned away after failing 2 blood pressure tests prior. I made changes to my training after my fail, and it didn't take long for the changes to show .

The changes were bassed on my previous attempts at the PJFT and the BP/HR test. I acknowledged that my BP/HR elevation was due to nerves, indicating I wasn't as confident as I thought I was.
This can be attributed to a false sense of ability. This was clear as on my first attempt at the PJFT I was grinding for most of the second leg and ended up basically falling of the treadmill.

My training plan for my second attempt was as follows;

Day 1- PJFT mock
Day 2-3 km
Day 3-6 km
Day 4- 3km
Day 5- PJFT mock
Day 6- rest
Day 7- rest

In addition to the training listed above , I would be doing gym training 6 days a week. This would be in the evening , and consist of general work to improve push-up , pull-up and sit-up stats ,alswell as general strength training .

This is not a complicated schedule but it is very effective if every day is completed with best effort.
Other small changes I made were, running without music, as in a PJFT , running with a controlled foot strike pattern, and strictly timing every run. Timing and recording the runs had a big impact on my confidence, and ultimately my BP/HR going in to the test,as I could look back and see my progression and what I had already achieved.

This also meant that I had to give my all each day to create the progression as it won't happen on its own. I did this by making sure that every day, I would finish each run with a better time than last week's.

Lastly , I made simple changes to my diet and sleeping habits, mainly towards the end of my training. With my diet i started by lowering carbs and increasing proteins and fats. I did this as I knew I needed to drop some weight, and I also knew this would be easier to do with diet than by training, plus I already had a strict routine.

I only had carbs after a run, usually rice. Before a run I would eat things like tuna, eggs, avacados and fruits, usually two sauces, one protein, one fats. Another thing to mention is cutting out red meat as it is often attributed to weight gain.
To put things into context, at 1.86m and 86kgs I wasn’t overweight, but dropping just 3kgs , and not being an experienced runner, I felt made a difference.

I hope this helps anyone looking for advice on PJFT training.I know I go in to a fair bit of detail but the most important thing is to keep you head straight and focus on you goal.

northmonkeySW

Reaction score
Did you do all our training on a treadmill or were the 3km and 6km runs outside?

Ballista

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Great tips mate, I've got mine tomorrow so wish me luck.

By the way, do they let you ramp up the speed first before the incline? Because by doing the latter you lose a few seconds.

HotelRomeo

Reaction score
Great tips mate, I've got mine tomorrow so wish me luck.

By the way, do they let you ramp up the speed first before the incline? Because by doing the latter you lose a few seconds.
For mine the PT controlled the incline and I was in control of the speed though out the whole run. So as the treadmill started he set the incline and I increase the speed.
Best of luck tomorrow mate !!

Ballista

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
For mine the PT controlled the incline and I was in control of the speed though out the whole run. So as the treadmill started he set the incline and I increase the speed.
Best of luck tomorrow mate !!

I had it on Monday mate ;) I passed :cool:

New Threads