Pjft

TommyK

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been having some trouble with my PJFT in which I find the quick pace very difficult to keep up for 9-10 mins. I'm not unfit - I can run fairly long distances at a reasonable pace it's just the speed thats getting me and the fact that I keep failing is getting me down. One of the worst problems I have is to keep checking the time left on the treadmill counter which drives me beserk because 3mins in my head = 30secs on the clock *text deleted*. I've read other people's posts on it (which I have found very helpful), I just need some advice from you guys in ways to get me through it. I know some people are so fit it's a breeze for them but I know I'm going to have to use willpower to get mine done. My PJFT is next Weds *text deleted* (9th).

Cheers lads

chew1e

Reaction score
I bloody hate treadmill running and im with you on the whole time thing. I guess the best way to get round it is to just let your mind take you away from it as much as possible. Think about any old crap or something that motivate's and inspires you. Try getting out on the road and practising your 1.5 mile time, and keeping that heart rate maxed out for 10 mins or so - really does improve fitness far more than constant slower longer distances.

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I absolutely hate treadmills too, I run on the road 5 times a week and I live near alot of fields which are lined with trees etc, so what I do is I pretend I'm in a race and that tree is a person I have to catch and I do this throughout my run.. It gets me to the end and trust me I leave the trees behind everytime! They're useless.

On a treadmill you've proably got a mirror infront of you so you can't focus on something to catch up with other than yourself.

If it helps listen to music, I train with music as it helps me get my pace up and I train without music on other days as lets face it in RT you're not going to have the pleasure but while I train it helps motivate me to push a little bit more.

Shuttle runs, fartlek(or interval) training and hill sprints all increase your CV and strength. Swimming increases your lung capacity quicker and breathing easy makes for easy running. Finally cycling and cross trainers are great as they build a wider variety of muscle and yet again increases CV.

I personally don't belive in running one day cycling the next and circuit another. I run in the morning, cycle an hour after lunch and do circuit around 15/1600hrs and on my swim days I cycle to the swimming pool. Break your program up over the next month into hard runs, slow long runs, interval running and hill sprints, this way you're not over doing yourself and you're getting the benefits of all!

(Sorry if I repeated myself at times but it's 3am)

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Some good stuff there ashley, never knew that lung capacity and swimming stuff, better start swimming more. I find swimming so boring, and defo a case of mind over matter for me. What sorta distances you swim, I did a mile (64 lengths) front crawl last time, in about 40 minutes I think. But I find it boring as hell!

TommyK

Reaction score
Cheers for the replies. I've got the run the day after tomorrow but I feel fine about it as I practiced run it last Thurs and did it in about 9.36 I think so at least now I know I can do it. Still got a way to go before PRMC though *text deleted*