PJFT

Discussion in 'Training Methods and Diet Suggestions' started by Rob20, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Rob20

Rob20 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Alright guys. Hopefully get a pjft in the next few months so am *text deleted* start practising on the treadmill abit.
    This morning I had to go into work for a 20 minute stamina swim (I'm a lifeguard ;) ).
    After that I had a go at the pjft. Finished first one in like 12:10 no probs. Second run I stopped at 1.7km. I was on track to pass but the end of the swim left me with a bit of cramp so aren't too disheartened considering I wasn't going into it fresh but has anyone got any top tips for treadmill running that has worked for you. I hate them!

2. Grimey Arches

Grimey Arches Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    I hated them as well, just aim to complete a mock within 10 minute mark, it's was all a mental game for me, I practiced treadmill intervals and kept upping the speed which helps with your return time.

3. Rob20

Rob20 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Yer mate on the return I was just counting how many times my left foot hit, helps distract me. I started on 14.7 and every time I got to 60 counts I upped it by 0.1. I sat on 15.0 for a while longer before going straight back down to 14.7. And yer I think I was fatigued from the swim to be honest so hopefully when fresh I can just finish off that last 700m.

4. Carefree93

Carefree93 Member

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    Biggest tip from me would be to make sure everytime you step foot on the treadmill, make sure you set it to 2 degrees incline. It might seem a bit trivial, but it can be the difference between passing and failing.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Rob20

Rob20 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Yer mate of course

6. Viking

Viking Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    interval training to help keep you up with the speed
    hill sprints seem to be good as well to make the 2% that bit easier
    slow long distance runs

no matter how hard you train that last bit of the second run will always be a blow out thats where your mind comes into play, hope this helped :D

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  7. Rob20

Rob20 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Had another go today after my shift. Same again. Got to about 1.7 and had to stop before I fell off. *text deleted* have another go thursday. It was my first run in my new trainers so I'll blame that haha. Just *text deleted* have to be patient and man up. Just hate treadmills

8. Grimey Arches

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    As stated before there is a certain part of training need to pass a PJFT..long runs, hill sprints, treadmill intervals.

But what isn't really mentioned is the mental aspect of it, instead of jumping of when you're gassing why don't you drop the speed down, completing the run but still being over the time limit is better then not completing it at all.

• Like Like x 6
  9. Rob20

Rob20 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Yer mate your right. Next time I will definitely do that even if i come in at 11 minutes. The day I pass a pjft will be the biggest relief in the world

• Like Like x 3
    • Seen Seen x 1
  10. Grimey Arches

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    I really struggled with them and was always disheartened when not achieving a good time, try doing intervals on the treadmill but do 1.5 mile warm up before hand so you come in at the correct time for the first run, set it for 800m or 1km and just keep increasing the speed after every interval.

11. Rob20

Rob20 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Okay nice one mate. So for example say like 4x 1km @ 16.5 would be okay right??

12. Frankie11

Frankie11 Active Member

If you're at 1.7, your lungs are burning, you can't breath, your legs wont work and you feel sick then stop. However it might just be a mental game, the run is never going to be a walk in the park because you will always be trying to get a faster time so it's always going to be a *text deleted*. My advice would be to keep going unless you feel like what I said in the beginning.

The last half of my PJFT mocks I'm always panting like a dog and part of me just wants to step off but you just grind down the last few hundred meters and you're there.

So unless you feel like you are going to die or fall off, try and keep going, you'll be surprised.

Edit: how come you signature says you have a 9:32 return if your not getting past 1.7km?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Rob20

Rob20 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Good advice. The 9:32 is on the roads. I'm fine on the roads. Just the dreadmill that I hate. But I think you're right. Just need to suck it up. I'm hoping on the day the adrenaline and pressure of the instructor will spur me on but I've got another month and half atleast so I should be able to get it sorted by then I hope.

14. Grimey Arches

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    I would do the warm up run at 12.5kmh, then basically whatever distance you prefer as the treadmill I used took time to get up to speed, the recovery time will vary between intervals and you'll be dripping sweat like no tomorrow if done correctly, start at 14.5 kmh and knock it up by 0.3kmh or 0.5kmh.

Just keep going till you can't keep the pace and hit the stop button.

15. Rob20

Rob20 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Cheers mate. I'll give that a go on Thursday rather than doing the full pjft

• Like Like x 1
  16. bharry96

bharry96 Member

before my pjft i hadn't completed a single mock on the treadmill or on the road. But on the day the thought of having to wait 2 months to try again helped me finish it. I came in at 10:00 bang on. my lace came undone halfway through the return so i had to speed it up. What I'm saying is that it is largely mental. If you can pass it on the road then at the stage you are at you are doing far better than i ever was. Just keep those legs turning over and think of why you are doing this. crack on mate.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  17. Rob20

Rob20 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Thanks for that mate. Encouraging words

18. redman

redman Member

I hate treadmills. But if you're doing a 9min32 on the road,it's probably all in your mind, i know it was for me.

19. anderson-1712

anderson-1712 Member

I found doing fast intervals helped me a lot, I have been doing 5x600m intervals at 17.1kph, the last 200m becomes so hard the further into to the session you get, real lung buster but such a good work out, a lot of is mental, when you get to 1.7 tell yourself you'll make it to 2km, tell yourself its only 300m and you'll have pushed further than before, then when you get to 2km you only have a 1/4 of a mile left

I also find when on treadmill concentrate on something infant of you and I know this is weird but I concentrate on keeping my face loose when running and count my steps i.e left left left right left (in my head) and the time will soon go. If not then knock it down a little in speed then when it gets to 2.2km just whack it up to 16.5+

treadmill is mental, your mind is giving up before your body will

20. Rob20

Rob20 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Cheers guys. Only my second go but just annoys the hell out of me. Luckily I still have abit of time to get it right