PJFT

Discussion in 'Training Methods and Diet Suggestions' started by Rob20, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Welsh_dragon

Welsh_dragon Member

had a complete mental block last night whilst doing a mock PJFT, everything is on point where is should be for test wise with press ups sit ups pull ups and swimming, but i done a mock run last night and didnt complete the return run, i got to 1.7 km and just gave up as i thought i ocduldnt go no further. i feel i got the motivation but I'm not sure if being TMU'd for so long is getting to me, or the fact i went on a stag do weekend just gone, but last night really got to me ! anyone else felt or had something similar before? dont want to search for excuses i just was to rectify it!

2. LRL

LRL Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    It's all mental once you pass the 1.5-6km mark. You just have to dig in and not check the time much or it makes it feel long. Keep your head up and before you know it a min has gone, then another, then you only have one more minute to go.

3. Welsh_dragon

Welsh_dragon Member

yeah ive passed mocks before but just lately i feel I'm losing grasp of it, need to knuckle down and get that sub 10 minutue time!

4. LRL

LRL Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Ahh right, well we all have them days when we just don't perform for what ever reason. It happens. At least you had it then and not on an actual test pmsl

5. Welsh_dragon

Welsh_dragon Member

haha yeah got to take the positives from it i suppose! just slap out of it and focus i suppose and stop whining *text deleted*

6. aspiring commando

aspiring commando New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Hi guys,so I start training on a treadmill soon for my PJFT,done a lot of running outside but decided to train on a treadmill since I have about a month until I have a crack at the PJFT,what are the best levels to run at for the second 1.5 mile and I know that running on a treadmill is a lot different to running outside,any useful tips for doing it on a treadmill?

7. Hyperhippo

Hyperhippo Member

On a treadmill, anything above 12kph will get you in on time for the first run and anything above 14.7kph for the second will get you in within the time, the treadmill is often referred to as the "dreadmill" I think you'll find out why when you start training on it, good luck and don't forget that 2% incline!

8. aspiring commando

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Thanks! I'm guessing you already passed it? Yeah I have heard training on a treadmill can be gruelling

9. Hyperhippo

Hyperhippo Member

Yeah I wish haha! Nope, I haven't even pressed the apply now button yet, I'm starting college next week for 1 year course, so will be applying next april/may time, this forum has helped me loads already for training tips, etc etc.

10. aspiring commando

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Yeah I did a year at college as well,although I've wanted to join up since I was 15,well you got a year to get in top shape and get yourself to a point where you'll fly through all the tests and your PRMC,good luck mate!

11. Pumber21

Pumber21 Matelot

Do you suggest running at constant speed or starting slow and raising it? I seem to find it easier starting slow then raising

12. Hyperhippo

Hyperhippo Member

Yeah same, I've wanted to join since around the 14/15 mark, and yeah I'm going to use this year to get myself as best as I can, good luck to you to!

13. LRL

LRL Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Official nuffield speeds: 11.6 & 14.4

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  14. Hyperhippo

Hyperhippo Member

11.6? Blimey I've been training at 12.5kph and its been getting me in at around 11:50, so I'm guessing 11.6kph will get you in towards the last couple of seconds?

15. LRL

LRL Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Yeah mate it does. I have a sheet next to me and 11.6kph gets you in at 12.25

• Like Like x 1
  16. Xerath

Xerath Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Don't go by what Nuffield say lads. My examiner set the speed to 11.6 and I had to up it to 12.2/12.3 and I barely scraped the first run, think I came in at 12:23. Run at a speed which you know you can do and pass at

• Like Like x 1
  17. LRL

LRL Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    True but there job is to ensure you know what speeds get you a pass.

18. Welsh_dragon

Welsh_dragon Member

switched up my training past couple of weeks, joined !a boxing gym, training with a marine who is on leave and also a lad who is going for the PARA's
    i managed to break a mental barrier since my hamstring injury and hit a 10:27 time on a Mock, not the best and not the most convincing but going forward now i got a base and time to beat and I'm loving it again!
    i swear by boxing training though and having a training partner so much easier to push yourself when youre competing with someone:);)

19. StandSure

StandSure Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    couldn't agree more, I just found out Id been running 1.2 miles up hill with Gradients ranging from 1 - 10% granted its outside, but made me feel a lot better especially like your self returning from an injury all in all its 3.5 miles today nice steady run, taking in the surroundings, even through gaining a height of around 350 ft got to love the outside runs...

Hopefully I replicate my running on the treadmill though.

Good luck welsh

• Like Like x 1
  20. Proximo

Proximo Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    For the life of me I cannot look straight ahead while running on a treadmil and constantly look at my feet, which is poor form as and making the run so much tougher. I've got a nice view over the Mersey from my gym/treadmil too.

• Like Like x 1