Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

PJFT

Discussion in 'Training Methods and Diet Suggestions' started by Rob20, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Seags98

Seags98 Member

Seems a good session this, I’ll have to give it a go tomorrow

2. p04

p04 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    9.21 bft
    12.2 beep test
    60 push ups
    85 sit ups
    11 pull ups (i got pulled off early for not syncing to the beep)

3. northmonkeySW

northmonkeySW Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I'm struggling somewhat with this still, so would appreciate input. My current training consists of
    Sunday - 6-8 mile run (usually coming in somewhere around the 8 min mile mark.
    Monday - PJFT mock (fine with the first 1.5 miles, then second one I end up breaking it up into 300 or 400m sections all at 15.5kmph)
    Wednesday - 20 mins of sprinting at 16kmph for 400m with a 30 second jog between each, completed until 20 minutes reached.
    Friday - 3 mile run best effort.

I would note that due to current job I don't eat for about 6 hours before running Monday, Wednesday, and Friday but not sure how much impact this will have.

I'd be interested to hear what other people have found works.

4. Seags98

Seags98 Member

Out of curiosity, why is it that you don’t eat? Personally for me, any session I do turns out to be a complete flop if I haven’t eaten beforehand

5. northmonkeySW

northmonkeySW Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I finish work quite late on, so if I had something to eat it would be about 15 minutes before I went for a run and i've never found anything beyond a small snack to be conducive to running on a treadmill really. What do you normally eat?

It's not like my gym sessions are complete flops when I don't eat, but I was wondering whether the specific nature of the PJFT might mean it has an impact.

6. Seags98

Seags98 Member

On an endurance run (8-10 miles) It’s always in a morning so I’ll have a full English and be off within half an hour, it’s kept me at just below an hour for the 8 miler and around a 1hr20 for the 10. But say if I’ve just finished work and it’s on a day where I’m dokng my mock PJFT I’ll always have a small box of chicken and pasta or god forbid a Sandwich from subway if I failed to prepare some food.

To answer your question, I guess it’s personal preference really, if you feel you run better on an empty stomach then stick with it, however the nature of the PJFT is that it’s a short, intense run so some complex carbs like pasta, bread etc (a peanut butter sandwich is usually my go to) will give you that added energy as the glucose made from the breakdown of the carbs will last considerably longer which may help you with your return.

Play around with it, I’m not an expert at running at all but I found that running on an empty stomach doesn’t help me at all, but having upped my food intake, I’m able to do complete a consistent 8:50/9:00 return.

7. JWJ

JWJ Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I should hope they dont load you onto a PRMC considering a second above 10:00 is a fail at PJFT..

8. Seags98

Seags98 Member

Have the times changed? Or am I monging it here, I’ve been told by AFCO staff that the return time is sub 10:30. However to lessen your worries I’m getting an average of 8:50 to 9 minutes “..”

9. Mattys

Mattys Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Think you might be referring to the prmc bft?

Even tho I’m sure it’s gone from 10.30 to 11.15 now.

FairPlay 8.50 on pjft that takes some doing!

Have you had yours yet?

• Like Like x 1
  10. JWJ

JWJ Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    PJFT is under 10
    PRMC BFT is 11.15 or 11.30 now, used to be 10.30

• Seen Seen x 1
  11. Seags98

Seags98 Member

I’ve no clue anymore, swear I heard 10:30 and PFJT in the same sentence at the last RMAD I attended.

I’m still at the medical stage, which has given me a fair bit more training (5 months to be exact) but I'm hoping to be booked on to a PFJT in January time if not sooner

12. Mattys

Mattys Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I’m pretty sure the pjft used to be 10.30 few years back then was dropped to 10.00 but not 100% sure there!

Ohh I see seen under your name sais you passed medical so wasn’t sure what stage you were at.

13. Seags98

Seags98 Member

I’d changed that as soon as I got my second medical, got a bit too eager I suppose;)

14. Mattys

Mattys Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Aha don’t worry I was in same position and jumped to far of myself then got knocked back a peg or two!.

What have you been made tmu for?

15. Seags98

Seags98 Member

Need to look on the bright side, I was barely scraping a pass (or so I thought) at 10:20 on my first medical. But without rambling on, they suspected a heart murmur, I got tests to prove it wasn’t, they didn’t think it was enough evidence so now I’m paying out my own pocket for a private cardiologist which should be final hurdle in regards to the medical sh!te.

How far along the process are you now?

16. Mattys

Mattys Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet

I have had exactly the same issues as you with regards to heart issue! I got a type 1 heart block and took me 2 medicals and a paper medical aswell as a referral to get passed even tho I had upto date information/recordings from gp capita themselves wouldn’t pass me on it *text deleted*.

I expect that isn’t going to come cheap the private cardiologist! I’m not sure how long that takes but maybe try sein your gp as knowing what it’s for he might be able to get you a quick appointment to see one!

I’ve actually got my pjft tomorrow (wed) but should have cancelled it as I have came down with a terrible chest cough in past 2 days so it’s all on me now.

17. Seags98

Seags98 Member

At least after the medical stage, Capita can be completely forgotten about.

It was a decent price, got a discount after a pretty convincing sob story and a lot of pestering. If I’d have gone the NHS route then I’d be on a waiting list for a max of 18 weeks so to get it done privately is worth it in my eyes.

Guessing it’s too late to reschedule then;) just crack on with it mate, it’s only 20 minutes of pain and after that you never have to touch a treadmill again

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mattys

Mattys Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    That not to bad then howcome it’s going to take 5 months if it’s private?

Ha sure is but delaying it just sets off red flags so I’d rather do my best and go for it than pull out last minute.
    I’m not exactly young either so don’t *text deleted* really delay it regardless if I’m out of breath walking up the stairs or not *text deleted*

19. JWJ

JWJ Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    My GP refused to refer me to a respiratologist to get tests done to support my appeal, as it wasn't for primary care or a actual health issue, and thus a waste of NHS resources so be glad your GP even considered it!

20. Seags98

Seags98 Member

Don’t get me wrong I am grateful, I just chose not to be deferred onto a waiting list. Did you end up going private then?