Plan B....

Babybell

Reaction score
For one reason and another, I now find myself with about a month (Two if I'm really lucky!) to find myself accommodation and also some employment to support myself. It wouldn't be so bad if I did not have such a short time scale!

I am hoping to aim for a commission as a Regular of the RMs, but because of my new circumstances I think my best option is to join the reserves looking to eventually join the regulars, So at a guess, I aiming for a 2010 YO entry. (When i'll be 23)

At the moment I have two big issues. The first is whether or not to stay in Exeter or move to Bristol? I think Id have better employment opportunities in Bristol as I need to be in a position to support myself. But Exeter might be better suited for me in the long run for my end goal.

Then is it best to tell employers your planning to becoming a reservist or wait till I get through selection then tell them? (If you have to go to training a certain week they cant stop you/fire you for it can they?)

Edit:- In case you are wondering what my circumstances are...My dad is looking at moving out of this house sometime by the end of the year. Where it not for the fact that this will be some where outside the UK it would not be as much of an issue. (My mum moved out to Europe herself a year or so ago.) I really need to have his assistance helping me set up and settled before he is out the country. (Saying that he usually is. In fact he will only be around for three days in September)

I think because of my circumstances it will be more prudent to make sure I am settled before attempting selection.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
The best bet is to scour the SaBRE website with regard your Employer/Employee rights.

There's access to RM units near Exeter or RMR in Bristol, so it's entirely your call where you move to & the life-choices you make. Best of luck.

Babybell

Reaction score
it's entirely your call where you move to & the life-choices you make. Best of luck.

Your absolutely right. I just wish I didn't have to make such a life choice in such a hurry. Rushing could mean I make a bad decision. But if I want to be a Commissioned officer I need to be able to make decisions quickly and effectively.

Saying that I think having 15 1/2 months training to learn from your mistakes helps!

Thanks for that website Ninja, gives me abit of night time reading.