Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Plantar Fasciitis

Discussion in 'Common Training Injuries' started by average123, Feb 2, 2017.

1. average123

average123 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Hi lads, found a few threads about this injury but they're all very old so I doubt the users will reply to me. I've had plantar fasciitis for over 2 months now and is really not ideal when I have my PJFT coming up! I'm not running on it at the moment, have special insoles for it and am doing my rehab on it daily. If I go to the doctors and get an injection do you know how long this will put me out for?

2. arny01

arny01 Ex Pongo.

Get a lacrosse ball and smash the soft tissue underneath your foot a couple of times per day. My wife suffered with it for nearly a year. She had shock wave therapy, a cortisone injection and insoles. What finally cured her was a £5 lacrosse ball from Amazon.

3. TangoWhisky

TangoWhisky Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I've got this too, though it's not been too bad recently. I used a foam roller on the soles of my feet and my GP gave me some specific stretches. They all focused of stretching the backs of the legs to relieve tightness under the soles.

Best of luck!

4. NorthernYomper

NorthernYomper Member

I'm no physiotherapist but had a spot of this recently. After a run I felt my calves were quite tight and once I stopped my feet started hurting. With this in mind I'd suggest targeting the soles of your foot but also further up stream (calves). These three stretches helped me out enormously. Along with some mobility exercises.

1st - As @arny01 suggests, hard ball rolled around under the foot for about 10 minutes paying particular attention to painful areas.
    2nd - stand up with your feet parallel to one another. Press your big toe into the ground and hold for 10 seconds. Release. Do again. If you find this easy/hard increase/decrease as needed.
    3rd - Stand facing a wall with your arms straight in front of you and your hands flat against the wall. Keep your right leg forward, foot flat on the floor, and extend your left leg straight back, placing your heel flat on the floor. Don’t bend your back knee. Lean into the wall and lift the toes of your back foot up. Hold for 3 seconds and repeat.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

In addition to the effective suggestions above, try this one suggested by a retired podiatrist:

Standing on steps (as depicted below) lower your body weight so that you can feel the stretch in the back of your lower leg. Try three sets of 10 reps several times daily. The problem with PF is addressed by conditioning the tissue that runs from the sole of the foot, around the heel and then up the back of the leg. Stretching the back of the lower leg will fix the symptoms of PF which are mainly evident in the sole.

Simple exercises fixed my PF completely within three months and the condition did not return. It is likely that I'm considerably older than you are so your chances of fixing your problem are statistically better than mine. Best of luck.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Sorry... my edit button vanished months ago. This is the image associated with the above exercise:

PF_1.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  7. average123

average123 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Cheers lads all this info is really helpful. I'm now trying a golf ball on it and will see the results to that. I've been doing some specific stretches for it for the last month and that has seemed to have eased it but now I'll try yours and see if they are better for me. Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  8. MassamanDave

MassamanDave New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Hi lads, think I've developed a spot of this over night.

Have upped my training recently, this mixed with some very labor intensive days at work have left the outside of my arch very tender.

Literally just passed my medical yesterday so ideally want to be on the treadmill for PJFT ASAP.

Is this likely to stick about for a while or heal up fairly quickly? Never suffered from this before!

9. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I'm not medically qualified but I will relate my observations from personal experience.
    My symptoms were most noticeable in the mornings after sleep. My symptoms were a stinging and cramping sensation in the arch of my right foot.

I researched quick fixes including expensive insoles but was advised by a very experienced podiatrist to address the problem with specific stretching exercises. For me the exercise in post #6 above was perhaps the most effective. Symptoms eased within one week and had vanished altogether within three months. The condition has not returned and fixing it cost me nothing.

As an aside, if you are prescribed orthotics by a health professional to treat or correct a foot condition it can result in an outright bar to entry.

• Like Like x 1
  10. doggle

doggle Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    I had plantar fasciitis for over a year. Some days I could hardly walk...a nightmare when you’ve got a dog to exercise.
    I’ve done lots of the above but what I found particularly effective was stretching the hip muscles, apparently the whole of the leg muscles can be affected and tighten up.
    Sit on a chair with the affected foot placed on the other knee so that the lower leg is parallel to the front of the body. Bend forward in three different directions...to the right over the knee, straight forward and to the left over the other knee and feel the stretch through the hip. Lots of stuff on YouTube which was where I found this.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

This is what I've been told. It was explained to me that the symptom manifests itself in the sole of the foot but that the tissue affected actually runs around the heel and up the back of the leg and this is the bit to stretch to alleviate symptoms.

But I'm not a medical professional. Happy to be corrected. Any thoughts @physiomum ? :)

12. doggle

doggle Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Just found the YouTube video. It’s by Upright Health and it’s called, ‘Foot pain no more.....3 super simple secret exercises’.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Never understood why anyone posts something "secret" onto YouTube. :confused:

14. MassamanDave

MassamanDave New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Thankyou for your responses gents. Will add these stretches into my normal stretch routine!

I'm normally pretty conscious on making sure I stretch out in the evenings so a bit of a kick in the teeth if it is to do with being tight elsewhere!