Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Plateau!

Discussion in 'Training Plans and Diet Suggestions' started by cheath, Nov 8, 2019 at 2:21 AM.

1. cheath

cheath New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Guys, help!

I’ve been training well now for a good 2 months nearly but I’ve hit a wall!

As it stands, this is where I’m struggling:

1.5mile: 12:30 (I do this with ease and feel comfortable more or less the whole run)

1.5mile return: 11:02

Immediately followed by: (best effort)
    Pull-ups: 7
    Pushups: 30
    Sit-ups: 30

Any tips or advice anyone can give on tweaking things to help by this? I feel because I’ve made so much progress so quickly my body is now in a state of “ehh I know your game”

Thanks a bunch, love you all

2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

There are others better qualified than I to advise and comment but here's an observation based on my own experience.

Mix up your running schedule. Introduce interval training and hill sprints. Possibly the best way to overcome a plateau is to find a training partner who will push your boundaries. He or she needn't be fitter than you nor even be a runner. Even if he leans against a lamp post smoking a cigarette after instructing you to sprint to the third lamp post and to jog back. :)

Hopefully others will chip in with their own experiences and suggestions. Best of luck.

• Like Like x 1
  3. stringer98

stringer98 Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    usually when i've seen a plateau its because the training i am doing is the same thing week in week out, the best way to advance is by changing it up i think, but i am not well qualified to answer this either its just my opinion that changing up the routing a little helps and has helped me.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Aerial

Aerial New Member

What sort of training are doing at the moment? If all you are doing is trying the RMFA and BFT then you will naturally hit a plateau. I'd second or third the advice above to mix up your training. There are tried and tested training plans on here that'll give you lots of good ideas and helpful tips.

5. Biggles

Biggles New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    mate check out Sean Lerwill's website he has an e book for passing the PRMC and general Commando training. He's a PTI and all round machine. I have been training for my PRMC (started about 5 weeks ago before I even passed the psychometrics *text deleted*) and have got my 1.5 mile return time down to 8mins40s using his methods.

• Like Like x 1
  6. stringer98

stringer98 Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    i was about to say this is what i used and it worked bloody wonders and you definitely don't plateau on this plan, its 8 weeks long which is enough time to get fit. the only thing i included was some weight work, compound movements which is not what you're really meant to do due to the injury risks but it helped me avoid injury from running.

7. Biggles

Biggles New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    hi mate agreed i'm doing exactly the same thing! Added 2 full body compound lifting days (had to get over the 65kg minimum haha).

@cheath this is my plan currently:

Monday - Total BodySession 1
    Tuesday - Fartlek Run - 30 mins
    Wednesday - Rest
    Thursday - PRMC Tests
    Friday - Total BodySession 2
    Saturday - Rest
    Sunday - Long Run Timed 0k or 10 miles + easy pace

The total body sessions are in the gym and focus on deadlift, press, weighted pullup, row and squat. Leg endurance is a big thing here.

The Tuesday session is speedwork on road.

The Thursday I test myself with the PRMC requirements aiming to improve each week.

Sunday I do an endurance run, these are always trail / forest runs.

I'm a qualified PT so love making these kinds of programs. I spend more time on my spreadsheets analysing data than doing actual work! :D

• Like Like x 1