Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Please don't post anything you want to keep until further notice

Discussion in 'Site Issues, News and Developments' started by GreyWing, Jun 20, 2016.

1. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

We might be moving servers as we speak, the speed is really slow as though we are transferring everything to the new server. I wasn't aware when it might be, so will need to check this out in the morning.

If we are moving now, data you post tonight won't be there in the morning when it switched to the new server.

Either way I'll need to check it out first thing.

• Like Like x 2
  2. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

Cancel last, looks like speed issues are local to me not he server.

• Seen Seen x 1
  3. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

Spoke to the guys today, will probably be this Thursday sometime. Not sure if there will be any disruption, I've been told there won't be but I can't see how that is possible. Anyway, worst case scenario is that I'll disable live news posts until done.

They are messing about with IP's again, I bloody hate that nonsense but once sorted it is all done and dusted for a long long time - or July the 1st. Whichever comes sooner :(

• Seen Seen x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  4. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

Ok the site went off for a bit earlier, I was expecting to change the ips at some point and they did tell me my one of my other servers would go off today during the change.

Unfortunately they got a bit trigger happy and just ran through all my servers and did them all at once, hence why I don't get chance to warn anyone.

Anyway, at some point in the very near future I will lock the forum down for an hour or two whilst it moves to the new server. It shouldn't suit in the site going offline ever again though.

Cheers
    GW

• Like Like x 2
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Cheers GW!

6. Mr D

Mr D Well-Known Member

@GreyWing @Ninja_Stoker . No doubt this is a bone question so sorry in advance, I dont have a clue what a server is but does this mean the Forum is staying live ?

7. LHG97

LHG97 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    A server is what you'll need to run a forum/any website with saving all the data and what not. You can usually outsource them but I think GW has a few of his own which the forum is running through I believe and you can have issues with them.

I don't believe this has anything to do with the forum staying live (judging by GWs posts) but more so just regular maintanance/issue solving

• Like Like x 2
  8. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

That is true mate, we've just bought our own new massive server thing and virtualised it so that my 5 individual servers can all go on that and still have more power left over. It also means this site doesn't have an extra costs over and above my own hosting.

We are also now in one of the biggest and best data centre's in the UK, that side is now sorted. No more amateur hour tiny data centres going offline and the guy going to bed for the night instead of calling out engineers from Virgin and BT.

As for the site getting locked before moving over to the new server (as was the point of this thread), well you can scrap that now. My friends helping out with the move got trigger happy again, they took the site down for an hour after cracking their own detail and did it themselves without telling me - again. :mad:

All I can say is it's like that only fools and horses scene where they were working on the wrong chandelier, in our case server!

Anyway, no more moves, no more changes, that's it - the site won't be going down again.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  9. john lewis

john lewis Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Am I right in thinking tomorrow is the last day this site will be open for posts? If so will the new server help keep the messenger running until the end?

10. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

We've decided to continue as we are at the moment mate. Nothing on the horizon other than the end of October shut down as far as I know.

The new server seems pretty quick, so happy with that side going forward. The guys who moved the server have done an excellent job for me. Must admit really happy with things at the moment.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. LHG97

LHG97 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Haha I bet you/the IT had a wonderful time getting that to go live. Is this data centre in the centre of London by any chance?

• Like Like x 1
  12. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

Was a touch tricky I have to admit, and I don't like the site going off as it looks bad on us / me.

It it indeed, we have it with Telehouse in Docklands now.

http://www.telehouse.net/global-dat.../uk-data-centres-london/telehouse-east-london

Costs a bit but we don't need to worry about that side ever again.

13. LHG97

LHG97 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC

I had Phoenix located in wapping in mind but having looked through their website and the amount they have I can imagine it costing a fair bit haha!

Doesn't look bad on you at all mate! Without you being able to have this running on one of your servers I doubt this forum would be able to run like this, or for free anyway!